Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Travel is done for now, woohoo!
Enjoying a few days off doing not much of anything.

Hope everyone is good!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Day 146
Glad the traveling is over for now, Site. Enjoy the break ! I admit to be occasionally envious of people who travel internationally with their job. I have a feeling I would grow tired of jet-lag, planes and airport food pretty quickly. It is great you now get to chill out a bit for a few days. You are doing so well, Site.

Happy anniversary NACN. There is no better way to start an anniversary than at a Dunkin Donuts waiting for an oil change. Living the dream Hope you are both able to get out somewhere nice. You have a lot to celebrate this year with your transformation.

My day yesterday was crazy at work but during the day long onslaught I was calm enough to address what I needed to when I had to. I suspect today will be the same but this routine of my own work, super early in the morning, with exercise, seems to help. Even if it is exhausting, I nearly fell asleep in front of a client yesterday. I did one of those head jolt things, fortunately nobody noticed !

Time for my work and bike ride.
have a healthy, happy and sober day all. One more day.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Day 146,
Just a quick check in. Way to go Site for not letting that one sip lead to a slip Hope you're enjoying your days off!
Tonight I'm being adventurous in the kitchen and trying some new dishes...we'll see how they turn out
DLB, your commitment to exercise is admirable!! I've been actually thinking about getting myself a bike this summer. Just to go to the park, etc. A nice bike with a basket and a bell

Anyways, hope you all have a lovely Friday!!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Day 147
Checking in quickly as I have to work today. It should be fine though.
Hi Site. I mostly run (jog) but biking, super early, is fun. I am not sure if a basket and bell would fit on my bike But, yeah, go for it. It is not a bad way to see your city, or local trails and get stronger at cardio. I hope the dishes turned out well.

Have a healthy, sober and fun Saturday. One more day.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Just checking in! Long weekend for us here, although I have a show today and two tomorrow, so not exactly days off! We close the show tomorrow, which will be sad but a blessing at the same time. It will be nice to free up some time, although the free time also scares me a bit.
What a fun thing to do, start cooking site! I am a terrible cook! I hope everything came out yummy!
Sorry you had to work on a Saturday DLB. Hope it was at least relatively stress-free.
Have a happy, sober, healthy Saturday Januarians!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

We have a great little bike path where I live - I usually walk it, but maybe I'll try biking it this summer! I love going out when it's super early before everyone else is awake and enjoying the peace and quiet.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Day 148
A super quick Sunday check-in for me.
That sounds great Site. Biking along the path sounds like a plan. I love doing my exercise in the morning for that exact reason.
NACN . It sounds like you had a lot of fun with this show and your performances went well , partly because of your new routine. You should be really proud of yourself getting through the whole run sober. I am sure there were lots of challenges.

My short work day was OK. Not stressful but I was glad when it ended.
I have a cup of tea, a slice of toast, and plan on going straight back to bed now. Have a wonderful, sober and healthy day Januarians. One more day.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Top work on racking up those days everyone! Day 129 for me today.

Not too much going on here. It's a long weekend here for Memorial Day so I get the Monday off to catch up on grading.

The mowing season has kicked in with a vengeance, so I'll be in the yard most weekends walking up and down up and down... great exercise and a chance to be alone with your own thoughts. We have a truly massive garden this year too, so lots of weeding and replanting (pesky turkeys!!!) for sure too.

Hoping everyone is enjoying the sunshine! I heard there was a bit of a heatwave in the UK DLB! Lovely day to enjoy with no hangover here.

Thinking of you all!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Day 149
Good morning all
Hi MrM. The wonderful weather has been great. And, yeah, waking up hangover free, exercising at outside dawn is the highlight of the day for me also. It is the one part of this journey that has remained as fresh and rewarding as it felt in the first week.
So do you have wild turkey's on your land ? The most I have is squirrels. As you are no doubt aware, squirrels can do enough damage as it is. I can't imagine what massive turkeys could do.

Well, I got up late. Most Sunday nights are very restless but last night I didn't sleep too badly. I should probably start my routine.

Have a great, healthy and sober week Januarians. One more day
Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Day 149,

Hey everyone. Had a pretty low key weekend. The dishes turned out pretty good. I’ve been making a lot of homemade pasta since January….I find it’s therapeutic….and time-consuming…especially during the witching hours of 7-9 for me I’m no Gordon Ramsay, but it’s a lot of fun

So got a surprise message from a friend late Friday night. A little background on this friend. Known her since elementary school. Have stayed relatively close….but not someone who I text or message frequently. When I was home last she ditched me on several occasions when we made plans, but I let go as it's kind of in her nature to do that. Wasn’t entirely surprised. She’s also a big partier. Both alcohol and drugs - the latter of which I have always stayed away from. Just personal preference. I’ve always known I had an affinity for booze….so I never wanted to test my limits with more.

Anyways, I knew that she was traveling across the country to go meet this guy she’s been dating on and off and there was a possibility that she may swing back my way on her way home, so I kind of expected the message. But instead she told me she was getting married the next day basically an hour away from where I live and invited me to come if I could. Honestly, I was shocked! Part of me wanted to try to talk some sense into her, but I knew better. I know her and anything I would’ve said would have been taken with anger and hostility, and so instead I sent along my congratulations and well wishes. For a few minutes I did consider getting the bus to go there….but then I stopped and thought about it. I’m 100% sure the “celebration” would’ve consisted of a drinkfest! Just a big party! (In Niagara Falls….which is a big party city) Topped by the fact I would have been awkwardly trying to hide my true feelings. So I told her I couldn’t make it. But it made me feel so sad. I truly hope she’s in love and won’t regret this, but I wonder if many of the rash decisions she’s making are fuelled by the partying. I know a lot of our friends are in serious relationships and having kids etc, and I wonder if she’s just panicking and feels like this is her way of catching up. I don’t know. I may be wrong. It just made me so sad. I then found out the next day from my sister that she ended up getting loaded the night before, lost her phone, and was hungover during her wedding. Perhaps back in the day, I would’ve considered it spontaneous and romantic….but not today.
She mentioned on her way home she may drop into the city for coffee ( she knows I'm not drinking) so perhaps I’ll get a better idea of the situation then.

Anyways…that was a long post.
Hope you all are having a lovely day!!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:06 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Day 150

A milestone day for me. I will reflect on my run.
I will also reflect how my sh*tty home internet doesn't work again . I am back to two thumb typing on my phone for the morning post. Oh well.

Ina, that is really surprising about your friend. I do hope such a big decision isn't fueled by booze and drugs. It does show how your own life has changed from hers now. The road not taken, I suppose.
Missing the wedding might have been sad but maybe a good idea, since we are all still in recovery. I am sure if I were around people drinking at an old friends wedding, I would have been tempted to have "just one".
When you meet her for a coffee maybe things will become clearer. Hopefully things are OK.

That is cool you cook pasta at a certain time to help with your AV. I suppose my equivalent is that I drink tons of fluids after work. Ice cold milk and hot tea. Dehydration and fatigue seems to trigger my AV so this helps.

Without internet my project work is limited but I can do my morning bike ride.
Have a healthy, sober and happy day Januarians. One more day.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Congrats to you on your milestone DLB!!! Great job. I hope you had a nice time to reflect during your workout, this certainly is a big thing to think about, and enjoy how far you've come.

Ina sounds like a lot of drama happening with your friend! I hope she has made the right decision. I think that the further on into sobriety I get the more I appreciate having less drama. Boring is just fine. I hope you get the chance to meet up with her and work out what has been going on with her!

Sunday was my birthday, a two show day and our closing. I will miss the show but it will be nice to free up more time. The potential problem is that now I have a LOT of time, and I really need to get some projects together to fill it. I don't start teaching again till the beginning of September. Maybe some projects around the house.

I hope everyone has a happy, healthy and sober day.
NACN
Old 05-30-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Just checking in to congratulate DLB on 150 days. Magnificent!

Nothing much to report here. School year is finishing up soon, so crazy busy with students who have left everything to the last minute.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Day 151
Thanks NACN and MrM. I do feel like 150 is a milestone. Looking forward to you both, and all the remaining Januarians doing the same.

Got up early. Worked on my project but didn't exercise. Feel a bit bad about that but just too busy at work .. or just not managing my time right. Probably the latter.
I didn't realise Sunday was also your birthday NACN. Happy Birthday ! I bet that was the first sober one for a while, which must have been different. I have mine coming up so will have to plan something.

It sounds like both of you will be without classes so will have free time. It sounds exciting to me but I am sure the free time void will need filling.

On my phone still so sorry for any weird spellchecker words or typos.
Have a healthy, happy and sober day friends. One more day.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to all you guys on your milestones

D
Old 05-31-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Day 151
Just a quick check in
Happy belated birthday, NACN! Aren't sober birthday's amazing?!!!

Not much new here, had a lovely day at a market with my friend. Usually, we'd end a day like this with drinks on a patio, filled with regret by the morning, so it feels quite nice to just enjoy the day and then come home feeling satisfied and settled.

hope you all are having a great day
Old 06-01-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Day 152.
A very quick check-in as my phone is dying and I am without home internet. Ugh.
Anyway, well done Ina on crossing the 150 mark. That sounds like a great day. I also enjoy just feeling happy sometimes now. It used to be monopolized by being stressed, drunk or hungover. Things seem easier now.

My exercise and routine went well today and work week decent. Trying hard.

Hope my fellow Januarians are doing well. Even with our smaller numbers this is helping so much still.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day friends.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Day 152,
5 months of sobriety. Wow! Has life magically became perfect and fixed itself completely? No. Is life way more manageable and enjoyable now though? Absolutely. It's amazing the small things that used to send me in a tailspin of emotions. I now find myself able to stop, take a breath, and face these problems head on.
It's days like today I'm so grateful for my sobriety, yet also very protective of it. With summer and warm weather arriving, I've been trying to be extra vigile at reminding myself daily of where I was before I started this journey and how much better I feel with each and every passing sober day. I feel in control of my life again and don't want to lose that.
I'm with you DLB, even with our smaller numbers, this group continues to help and inspire me each and every day!! I'm so grateful for you all.
Hoping you all have a fantastic day!!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Great work on hitting 5 months Ina!

Looking back to the first of January, I was (as you can imagine) a complete hungover wreck. I can't believe I was doing that to myself all the time. Seems really weird that that was normal!

Not much to report here. Day 133 nearly completed.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to all you guys

D