Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Originally Posted by Poppy79 View Post
Hey LadySW and LiveLG, great to see you back
I just went for a walk LiveLG and I really didn't want to but I am glad I did now that it's over lol. I was so motivated for the first couple of months and I can feel it dissolving so I am forcing myself to keep my mojo up. Flipping hard at times though.
LadySW I am guessing you can probably relate to what I am writing given your post. I have heard that complacency can rear its ugly head around the 3 month mark but if we are acutely aware of it at least we are forearmed with the knowledge to stay on track and get through this rough patch.
I have found myself wondering whether I could have a drink or two and moderate lately but deep down I know I can't. Dammit!!!!
4 days until I hit double digits.
Hope everyone is doing well xoxo
Almost to a 100 days Poppy youre doing amazing!! That av is a real creep lol it tells me the same thing n then i wind up with huge regrets after drinking. *Huggs*
Old 02-14-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I'm breaking away from work for a quick check-in because I'm feeling the AV start in today for some reason.

Lady... I can relate to your post above. I would try to moderate by counting out the number of glasses of wine I could have per bottle, or buying the little single serve 4 pack with high hopes it would last me four days, or by how many beers I could have if I only bought 1 case per week. Took me quite a while to figure out that I was bull***** myself too. I'm so glad I'm off that crazy train.

Now it seems that I have thoughts of moderation close to every big milestone... 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, etc... Not sure why that happens, but logging onto SR seems to push the thoughts away.

Let's all keep pushing through the tough times. We can do this!!

Day #78
Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

It's Valentine's Day, and as a single person in the office world, what did that mean? Listening to all the other single people talk about going home and getting drunk tonight.

At first, I had the thought of "oh yeah, wine...nice", but that was fleeting. Because for those people (formerly me), the wine would turn to more wine, would turn to either tears or anger, would turn to terrible sleep, would turn to waking full of guilt and turmoil and a damn hangover.

How nice to be free of that? The only guilt I have tonight, is over that ice cream I just inhaled. Happy Valentine's Day, friends.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Hahahaha inhaled ice cream. That's hilarious
I ate a bucket load of chocolate yesterday, I purchased the chocolate, not my hubby lol.
Valentine's Day present to myself.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Day 20. Not much to report here. Just going along day by day.
So happy to read about you all clocking up those days.
Going to do some crafts today. It's snowing and is cold outside, so a day of creativity indoors sounds good to me. Lots of love to you all. Xxx
Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Just checking in on day 85 and feeling much better today than the past few days. I've noticed a lot of cravings and that voice that says I can moderate as I approach 90 days. So, I'm taking the day to read as much as possible on SR and sober blogs. I need to get my focus back.

I hope everyone is having a good week. It seems kind of quiet on this thread lately...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Hi Rainy, I totally feel where you are coming from. Just yesterday I had a full blown conversation with myself about how 1 or 2 wines would be okay, I've done really well so far blah blah blah. AV was screaming at me.
I played the tape forward and knew it wouldn't be 1 or 2, but rather 5-6 or more. But then AV hits back and says 'hey, why don't you get a bottle of early harvest wine (half strength with only 8% alcohol)'. To which I replied, once I get the taste it wouldn't just be 1 bottle but 2.
I spent a good 30 minutes mentally debating myself. I won though but damn, the AV was the strongest I have felt in awhile and it was scary. I'm soooo close to double digits, 98 days and I WILL NOT succumb to my addictive brain.
I just hope I maintain the strength to fight it the next time it pops up to mess with me.
Good for you for not letting your AV win
Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Hi rainy. Congratulations on 85 days. That's awesome.
Sounds like a good plan to stick close to SR when your feeling like that. Stay strong. ❤️
Old 02-15-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Thanks, Kimmy!

Poppy, I think I let my guard down a little as I racked up sober days. I thought the AV would be a little quieter as I got closer to 100 days. It just goes to show that we have to be vigilant as we go along. Great job on not giving in to the AV! Each time we make it through one of those episodes, I think it makes us stronger for the next time the AV rears its ugly head.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

One of my biggest fears was/is becoming complacent. Telling myself I don't have a problem because I have stopped for a good stretch. I really hope it gets easier each time we tell our AV to go jump.
I'm about to head off for my morning walk, zone out listening to some trance and start the day with some good ol sweating
Will check back in later.
I hope everyone is going great guns and staying off the plonk xoxo
Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Hello sober companions,

I'd just like to say well done to everyone for recognising the signs and resisting the AV. It's been calling to me recently too, trying to trip me up when I'm down, with familiar and tempting promises to 'ease the pain'.
But I've honestly drank enough in my time for several people and I can see a sober future, so I'm determined to try life with a clear head and conscience even if sometimes the path seems unfamiliar and lonely.

Thanks to all for your posts and your ears.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

And a well done to you November for sticking to your guns.
I used to tell myself that I have had my quota of alcohol for my lifetime, instead of spreading it out over 70 or so years I condensed it into 20 years. So thanks for reminding me of that little thought with your post above.
I am thinking of starting back up on antabuse for a few weeks. If my AV comes back at least I KNOW I won't be able to give in to it because of the meds. It certainly worked for me in the earlier days so I figure it will help at this point.
Anyhoo, off to art therapy today. Another sober tool being used from my tool box.
Have a wonderful nobenders xoxo
Old 02-15-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainypnw View Post
Hi everyone! Just checking in on day 85 and feeling much better today than the past few days. I've noticed a lot of cravings and that voice that says I can moderate as I approach 90 days. So, I'm taking the day to read as much as possible on SR and sober blogs. I need to get my focus back.

I hope everyone is having a good week. It seems kind of quiet on this thread lately...

rainy - there are a couple very active threads on the newcomers forum, discussing moderation. Lots of good advice, and for me, some good examples of what I DON'T want to become.

I've had plenty of experiences in life where I drank because "it will make this more fun, etc"...it's now time to try living life for exactly what it is, and what it could be, without liquid enhancements.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Administrator

90 days can sometimes be rough - long enough for us to forget the worst about drinking, but often not quite long enough for us to see the full benefits of long term recovery...

Keep the faith guys - you're on the right road - and you're winning

D
Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

We are winning Dee. Loser drunk no more. Yes!

Took my little break and good to be back seeing all of us doing so well, even with the call of the wild beckoning. "You can't scare me, 'cause I'm part of the union".

I like to count my days too, 108, but am trying to adopt a "sobriety is me" mindset.

Like, days don't matter 'cause I don't drink, just like some people don't eat grapefruit or rotten eggs. I prefer being sober, even though times are tough.

I now take a 'handle it slurp', and get on with the job. Think I'll take a patent on the 'handle it slurp' been looking for a niche in the market

It has taken too much from me, just about everything, and know beyond doubt that it will never 'work'. What 'work' did it do? Nixaroozie! And what work did I expect from it? Whatever it was that I expected was never delivered. Made me pay postage.

Walked past the pub when doing food shopping today, and it is very hot here in Gondwanaland. The thought of a cold one sounded very appealing, but that would require for me to be a 'normal' drinker, and clearly I'm not. And, so what?

And that's when I thought of the 'handle it slurp', or possibly the 'sober slurp'. The thought of a cold beer came into my head, but I shook it off and took a big long swig of sobriety, and decided to handle life on life's terms. And about time too, would say my Mum

Really glad to be back with my dear friends. We are all doing so well. We rock.

Our triple Olympic gold medallist (swimming) Grant Hackett has gone missing. He has a huge problem with alcohol. I pray he's alright.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I read about grant hackett earlier, very sad indeed. His brother was on the news last night, didn't really like that he was on air bagging out his bro. The 6pm nightly news is not the place to air your brothers hardships regardless of his sporting celebrity status I don't believe. I'm not surprised the guy took off away from the lime light and everyone!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Steely, happy to have you back with us and congrats on 108 days!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I hit 100 days today and I'm doing well. Excited about the triple digit number when I didn't think that I could go ten days without alcohol. I'm still going to the addiction counselor and that has been going good too. In these 100 days, last night was the first time that I dreamt about alcohol that I can remember. I was very glad to wake up from that one. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm about to hit the sack. Goodnight. <3
Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hi rainy, Poppy and Angie it's good to be back.

I'm worried about Grant Hackett Poppy. Apparently (so says Grant), his brother bashed the livin' bejesus out of him. He posted a pic on instagram...he looks battered. Grrrr!

I don't think his mental health is very good, depressed, and hope he's holed up somewhere with friends who care. Wish he'd log into SR and become a Nobender, we'd look after him. Makes me cry the punishment by some for being sick.