Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I'm happy to report the craving went away pretty quickly! Cooked dinner, ate dinner and totally forgot about my AV while doing the above. Nice one!
Off to the beach today, going to be another hot one here in Queensland.
I hope everyone has an awesome Saturday
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Sun here too today Rainy and the AV was at it's work as I watched people drinking outside bars in the sunshine on my way home.

Glad yours went quickly Poppy.

Congrats Lady SW on your 88 days.

'My sober brother', I like that Badger, you made me smile. (and well up slightly)

Tonight I'm at home doing washing etc and listening to Iggy Pops show on radio 6 and tomorrow I'm helping a friend cut some trees down (or something).

Looking forward to another sober weekend.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Glad to hear Albert Venom (AV) packed his bags Poppy, and who I have personalised as a man because a girl wouldn't be so mean. Each time I resist I grow stronger.

It will be good when our dream of being able to drink rationally turns to a dream of rational sobriety. I never get buzzed, I get broken. What are you painting? I can't paint or draw, but wouldn't mind doing a portrait of Albert. A twist on the Portrait of Dorian Gray.

Congratulations on your 100 days I know you have had it in your sights, and the day has arrived. Too good!

Meditation and yoga are high on my to do list too November, my back's a bit dicky too. I'm always nervous November but am better now at just doing it.. Can't care anymore, just got to do the things that I know are in my best interests. Banish the Blues unless you can turn it into song I say.

Hi rainy. I'm sure your visit with your sister will go well. I know my sister is really happy for me now that I've quit....likewise my entire family. They have been more than forgiving, and am so very grateful for their generosity of spirit.

Hi too, Angie, cracking the 100 Days. We are all dancing the ton, some a little ahead (in days only) some a little behind, but we are all from the same Vintage, and it's a mellow drop.

I'm keeping the faith Solly, just like a good girl should. We don't drink, and that's the end of it...but in truth, it's the beginning.

I'm proud of us all too Jillwink and you are not alone in feeling depressed on reading Newcomers' thread. My spirit is with everyone trying to stop, but don't have the mental strength to read the same, same stories. They can be so sad, even demoralising, probably because they are too close to the bone for me at the moment.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't bring me down, and in so many ways it makes sense that it does. I'm struggling with my head as it is, and constant reminders of the pain puts me in a bad place. Everything in good time, so for the moment just hanging here with the people I have come to know and trust.

Hi badge. Your graveyard brain made me laugh, and exactly how mine feels. Better though than when drinking, and that's what keeps me going.

Too easy to get drunk and avoid ourselves and our real needs as women. Much more noble, and surely difficult, to meet ourselves head on in a real attempt to greet the world as it stands. We're big girls now, on our way at last.

Australians have a sloppy habit of adding suffixes to words badge. Hence NIX becomes nixaroozie. A buck becomes a buckaroozie.. We add the letter 'Y' to words too. You just stick a Y on the end of a word and people get what you mean. We don't do it in all cases, but a sloppy and endearing speak that I love so much.

I've thought about the history of ridgeydidge myself and it means 'straight up and down', or honest. A bit like you guys saying 'word' I suppose. A didgeridoo is long and straight, so guess it could hold that association as well. The word is the didge.

Hi too Jillwink. Glad to see that there are a few of us who find the reading of Newcomers' posts a bit too much at the moment.

And for any Newcomers' who might stumble upon this thread, I'm with you in your struggle. This thing can be done.

Hope you enjoy Baltimore Jillwink, seems like such a long way away from where I sit. We need to do things that are real and life giving so hope you have a great time. Sober and true.

My apologies for such a long post but wanted everyone to know that I'm still kicking and thinking of you all.

In giving up drinking I've given up housework by the look . No, gotta get it done, it does make me feel better. Chocolate, marshmallow rocky roads and freckles are a different matter altogether.

My love to you all.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Couldn't resist. This is a $3 tapestry I bought at the op shop. Thought of us 'cause we're kicking goals! Possible mascot?

Hope it's not upside down. We're so good we could kick a goal standing on our head
Old 02-17-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Hi Abriella, LLGold and tnek hope you're kicking goals too. Thinking of you Plenny.

Hey, feeling bored one day and tried to make an annogram out of Nobenders. SOBER is in there, but then I get left with an NNDE. Whatever could that mean? A few thoughts came to mind, but left us with a puzzle. This is a very puzzling malady. I'm trying to avoid the housework, sorry.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Awesome mascot Steely and awesome long post. I love reading your banter and take on life
I've hit triple digits. WOOT WOOT. And upon reflection, it's been relatively easy for the most part. I'd say 80% easy to 20% difficult. And it should only get easier with more time on the straight and narrow.
Good times abound!
Mum has just arrived so we are off to soak up some sun and salt water.
Take care my friends xoxo
Old 02-17-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 3 figures Poppy - congrats to you too ladyshipwreck

D
Old 02-17-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

I forgot to say hi Ladyshipwreck please forgive my still putty brain. I always know you are there, your ship does not sink. Hope you are kicking goals too, right between the posts.

Hey, November just worked out you are a man, and so happy you are here to balance the books. Real men are Nobenders.

I get a bit carried away (in a good way) in supporting the women because I know the difficulties involved in being a wife, mother, housekeeper and worker, as well as carrying the cruel shame of being labelled a 'lush'. And we eat chocolate freckles too.

Coming from the UK hope you like soccer playing (possible) mascot. Looks pretty unisex to me.

I listen to the BBC too.

Thanks for being there November.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi guys, A huge congratulations to you all clocking up those days and reaching great milestones. Xx
Did not get a chance to post yesterday and it was on my mind all day.
Spent the whole day with a friend. Coffee, shopping, that kind of thing. Had a lovely day. So happy your back Steely. You were missed. Thinking of my wonderful online family. You guys are so very important to me. ❤️
Old 02-17-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

And you're important to me too Kimmy. We're all clocking up the days (same vintage) Kimmy and was, as a matter of fact, talking to an old friend of mine (hadn't spoken for years) on the phone the other day who has 3 years up.

Can't say I would like her version of sobriety, as she got very boastful about her three (definitely) good years. Sorta rubbed it into me, until I said, "ONE day is legendary, if you really mean it." Fixed her little red wagon. She went all quiet. lalalalala

About time too, because she is another who has belittled me in the past. Feels good to purposefully and elegantly state my mind to people who project their own inadequacies onto the more vulnerable. Pisse poor, if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an absolute shrinking violet, but my self esteem has always been so low that it's easy for others to target me. Guess what dipsticks (the real inadequates), I'm Maid Marion and a better shot than Robin Hood. Just gotta remind myself that I'm not as bad or inadequate as I think.

Bad arsely yours - steely
Old 02-17-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Steely, I love your posts today. Thanks for sharing. I'm neglecting the housework tonight and opting for SR instead. It will all get done tomorrow.

Poppy, congratulations on 100 days!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Thanks rainy. Makes me feel better because I haven't lifted a duster all day.

Reminds me of an Hallmark I read which goes something like:

Housework, I don't know,
You do it one day,
And it's back again 6 months later.

Something like that rainy.

I'm on the couch watching a show on architecture eating pancakes hot off the pan. Ah, the sober life.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Old 02-18-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

You ok LadySW?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Yes Poppy. Thank you for asking. I had posted a long self pitying post and got embarrassed. I couldn't figure out how to delete so I edited it with the dots.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Oh no, don't be embarrassed. Absolutely no judgement here hun
It's cathartic to have self pity at times, so long as it's not a constant. We are going through some rough times, it's completely natural to unload and say 'woe is me'.
Hope you feel better soon xoxo
Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Oh rainy bet you ten bux I'm more self pitying than you, and too embarrassed to admit as well. You don't say whether you picked up or not, but if you did you know we don't judge each other, and all of us are vulnerable. What's the matter rainy?

I've lost my mojo big time, and still haven't done a crack around this joint, just don't seem to care. Depressed.

Here's the rub. The flat I rent is owned by a close family member and is rented to me at a reduced rate. He now wants market rent for it and wants me to leave.

Market rent in Sydney is beyond my capacity to pay unless I go to the middle of nowhere, so am having to make application for social housing, which is very difficult to secure. I am so depressed and don't feel like I can face another hurdle.

When I was working I was paying off a flat in Bondi, but had to leave my job because my daughter developed schizoaffective disorder triggered by a violent, alcoholic husband and ongoing domestic violence. She has 3 kids.

I had to take care of the kids because my daughter was very ill, and the kids were at risk. She was incapable of caring for them, though a loving mother. Soon money ran out, and I find myself here, staring at walls and not giving a FFFFFFFF!

I've made application to the Department of Housing so am doing all I can, but it is just sooo shite.

It's crappola rainy, so don't go worrying darlin' whatever it might be that is troubling you. Let's talk.

I know I won't pick up because I know now it would only make things worse, at least I've got that on my side. I've just got to bat on.

I know I try to put a positive swing on things here and that's how I try to be, but the past few years have just been so horrible with family and mental illness I don't know whether I've got another shot in me. There is no way around it, so will just continue to put one foot in front of the other. And my stupid ex husband has not done one single thing to help.

Whatever it is that's troubling you rainy 'tis better to talk about it. I feel better about disclosing the shameful truth that someone so close could ask me to leave. And guess what, it has nothing to do with alcohol it is all about money.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no need to be embarrassed here guys - we all understand, and this is a support thread after all.

D
Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Well, snapped out of the gloom and am going to proceed as required.

Moving will give me further opportunity to regain my independence and not feel beholding to anybody, and am now looking forward.

Have contacted all of the appropriate people necessary for my rehousing and will lodge these over the next couple of days. I'm using a community housing provider and have linked up with a very nice woman who said to me that she is seeing more and more of cases such as mine. Money, it's a gas.

If I had been drinking I would never have been able to do it. So, feeling much more positive and in control, and that feels good.

Ironically I used to be a tenant's advocate in my working life and have housed many, many people. I know how to do the job, and now time to take up my own case. Oh, the irony.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that things are working out with the housing, Steely. Money and living situations are very stressful. It is amazing how much easier it is to deal with all of this stress without alcohol!

It's a sunny day here (on and off) and we're going out house hunting again. Send some good thoughts our way.