Administrator

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 6

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-20.html

D
Old 01-12-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee.

Greetings once more Fellow Travellers. Checking in at 56 days (8 weeks, 2 months) without a drop of the hard stuff. I have to say that I am not finding it as hard as I expected. SWMBO (She, Who Must Be Obeyed) treated herself to a whiskey last night. I could smell it as I entered the room, but had no real desire to fix myself one. Part of that, of course, was knowing that if I drank one, then the contents of the bottle would be in dire peril, and I've now gotten quite used to sleeping better and waking up without a hangover.

Steely, I'm a day counter too. I do think it helps in the early stages. Although there is a school of thought that says that if you never intend to drink alcohol again, what's the point in counting (and that's a valid argument), I still think that counting gives one a feeling of achievement.

To all of you Class of November 2016 Nobenders - keep up the good work, and remember to keep the faith........
Old 01-12-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Nobenders! Checking in on day #45. Solly... this time around it seems to be easier for me too. Maybe I'm finally settling into the fact that I want to be sober more than I want to drink?? I sure hope that's it! I like to count days too... helps to stay accountable.

Hope everyone is doing well! Thank you all for helping me stay sober!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you're right Abriella. It's that wanting to be sober more than wanting the drink. Once you get past that tipping point then it's easier going. Just wishing you didn't drink just doesn't cut it.

Glad to see you're doing well.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've found that even though I have made the decision to never drink again the "idea" of drinking can still enter my mind given the "right" conditions.

There are no "right" conditions I know, but old habits die hard, and really don't have any control of my thoughts outside of choosing to act or not. Didn't have this skill before.

Yesterday I chose to not act on the thoughts, but it certainly gave me a better understanding of how compelling this thing can be, particularly in the early stages.

The relief and gratitude the following day always tells me that I made the right decision and acts as further reinforcement to have me never drink again, no matter what the circumstances.

Solly and Abriella, congrats on wanting sobriety more than wanting to drink...not feeling deprived, or some other pathetic rationalisation. It really is so much better.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Still doing well here. I was an all day drinker, from when I got up to when I went to bed, so I'm still amazed and proud when I get to noon and haven't had anything to drink!

It's slowly getting easier not to drink and I'm feeling better and have started working out more. I'm hoping to tone up and lose the 15 lbs I gained due to drinking [along with all the other benefits of being sober ].

I hope everyone else is having a good, sober, day!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of folks seem to think good recovery means never thinking about or desiring drinking, or the idea of drinking again.

It hasn't been that way for me. It's been a long time now, but I had all that stuff going on, from time to time, for a fair while after I quit.

The measure of recovery to me is how I deal with those thoughts.

D
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's good advice, Dee. I don't think about alcohol all the time, and I fortunately haven't had any real cravings since the first couple of weeks. But the thoughts do come. Or I'm reminded of drinking habits. Or friends wanting to go out and drink.

How I handle these moments is important. Last winter when I first tired to quit, I think I just wanted to block it all out. I wouldn't entertain any thought. This time, I actually do take the time to allow the thought, and then examine and reflect upon that line of thinking, and what the consequences were of those thoughts in the past.

I will not grow from this past, if I do not try to learn from it, and understand more of it, and recognize the warning signs.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cool scene Dee. Thanks.

So well done RainbowBird and tnek. We are all doing so well, I really like you guys.

It makes sense that the thoughts would arise, it's been our only way of being. With each encounter and subsequent denial my sobriety is strengthened. To drink would be to die.

And every time I scroll through I want to say hello to Plenny
Old 01-12-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Last night I ate my way through a whole packet of raspberry jelly crystals. The empty packet lies beside my bed. Huge sugar craving, abated.

Feeling heartbroken about the potential loss of my very best friend. I'm going to go do some work in the kitchen. I do not want it to be true.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steely - it is tough...but I just kept thinking my friend is having a much worse time of it than I am, and his equanimity in the face of everything really inspired me.

D
Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, and thanks Dee,

She is brave and strong, and I will be too. Nothing worse than a pathetic mourner, she'd hate it.

We talked it about the reality of it yesterday, and she has made me promise that her parents' would not be told she was smoking dope. As if, and then we laughed, but it's not funny.

She's 58
Old 01-13-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Steely... I'm so sorry about your best friend. Sending hugs your way. She is lucky to have you. Watching someone die of cancer is so very hard. Prayers for you both.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Steely, I'm thinking of you daily. Such a hard thing to go through with a friend.

I'm definitely a day counter...day 52 today.

I got the opportunity today to test out a recipe for a cookbook that is going to be published soon. The recipe called for white wine. I didn't think this would be an issue since I haven't had any major cravings lately. I only bought the exact amount that went into the recipe. When I poured it into the pan, my AV took over. It smelled so good and I had an extremely hard time for about 20 minutes. I just kept thinking about driving to the store and picking up a bottle of wine. But, I knew if I did that, I would have to admit it to all of you. That thought might be the only thing that kept me sober today.

So, guess I'm not ready to cook with wine yet...
Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Steely, sending prayers to your friend and you. I'm so sorry.

Day 66. Not having any huge cravings and I'm still going to the addiction counselor. It has helped a lot, as well as coming on SR daily.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much my friends, and wanted to thank you Plenny for your earlier good wishes. I am feeling really head dazed and went past my train stop TWICE this morning, just staring out the window.

I was a bit the same rainy, and congrats on 52 Days, you got through a tough one.

We are having a heat wave here, and thoughts of my friend made a cold beer look really inviting. I thought it through and saw the bitter outcome, then walked on by. Some old guy was having a beer, and he looked really depressed.

To be honest, to drink in these conditions would be an insult to my friend. It won't happen.

Seeing a counsellor is further commitment Angie, and congrats on Day 66. "You get your kicks on Day 66", and every other sober day. I'm pulling for us all. We rock.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Steely, prayers for you and your friend. Enjoy your day every one!!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Test

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 01-14-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ive been tryong to join and post on this app for months but it keeps shutting down when i start typing after about 5 seconds. Can anyone else in Australia post on this app using an iphone 6 on the latest IOS software? Im pasting this text in, having typed it outside of the app

Old 01-14-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I will do it this way until i can get my phone sorted (if its my phone that has the issue). I have been sober 66 days now. Ended up going to a mental health hospital for 3 weeks last November, prior to that i was blacking out nearly every time i drank. Couldnt go more than 2 days not drinking.
I felt truly helpless.
10 november would have been the scariest day i can remember, checking in to a psych facility. But i wish i had gone much sooner.
Thanks for reading.