Prayers for the chick
D
Old 02-07-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Well done poppy. X
Old 02-07-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Congratulations Poppy!!!

I've enjoyed reading the lists of improvements to our lives as sober people. I'm on day 77 today (I can't believe I'm writing that!). In the beginning, 3 days sober seemed like an eternity. Now, long-term sobriety seems much more possible. I have to remember not to stray too far from my tools. I've noticed I'm not checking in on SR until later and later every day. My goal for the rest of the week is to check in first thing in the morning. Thanks to all of you for being so supportive in this group!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Poor little Kooka Poppy. Hope the vet can mend its leg, and you're the best for rescuing it. Thanks said the Kooka, Poppy

Got myself a volunteer job at the local op shop. It's a grungey little joint, but I really like it, and all monies go to the local public hospital. I start next Wednesday.

Whilst I was there I bought a book on Yoga and thought I would share this with you all.

The Journey
One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice -
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop .
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognised as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do -
determined to save
the only life you could save.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

That was written by Mary Oliver whom I do not know, but hope she got sober too

Fair dinkum, I'm glad I'm still nuts.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

'grats on the new job Steely

and to you Rainy on 77 days

D
Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

That was a beautiful read Steely thanks for sharing
Bubba Kooka was dropped to my local vet right on 8am, they think (from their quick, initial check up) that she will be okay.
I asked if they or the wildlife peeps could let me know how she goes but they can't. Which I understand, their job is to save wildlife, not provide updates to the people who bring them in for saving.
I've been thinking a bit about my little rescue mission and I usually don't take the route I took this morning. Decided on impulse to head home a different way. If I went my usual route I wouldn't have come across bubba kooka so I wonder if some cosmic force pushed me to swap up my normal routine. And quite poignant on my milestone of 90 days. Like I am paying it forward somehow. I was 'saved' 3 months ago and now I get to help in saving another life.
I'm rambling lol.
How is everyone doing today?
xoxo
Old 02-07-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Congratulations rainy on magical 77 days. I know what you mean about never thinking it possible, yet we are doing it. We are reclaiming ourselves at last.

Yours was a beautiful read too Poppy, and you and Kooky were bound to meet I feel sure. Poppy and Kooky, best of mates forever.

.....thanks Dee for your good wishes.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I love op shopping Steely. How awesome will you feel volunteering and giving something special (ie your time) back to the community.
If I am down your way I will be sure to pop in and make some purchases
Old 02-07-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

And a massive congrats to 77 days rainy. Here's to another 77
Old 02-07-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

You doing OK Angie? I felt bad about not including you on the roll, but hadn't seen you for a while and made an inadvertent omission. I'm so sorry Angie, hope to see you around with all of your own projects and doings. You seem to be doing well, as are we all.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Thanks Poppy.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

hey ya'll, I really got a lot out of reading everyone's list, so many of the pros and cons hit home with me, like Yes! I should have wrote that down also! Kimmy you really hit the nail on the head with, *Not wasting my days drinking myself into oblivion and then trying my best to hide it when my husband comes home. That was my daily routine, I remember trying to act so sober and being unable to read or fix a simple cooking recipe. Racing to the bathroom, brushing teeth, mouthwash, mints, peanut butter anything to try to hide the smell coming off me before he got home. I am so grateful and determined to never put myself in that place again.

Poppy!! 90 days!! And you saved a little kooky! Hope your still smiling, I am!

November15- yes indeed we will also hit that 90 day mark together! We will celebrate with the most excellent glass of crystal clear lemon water with ice from a 1000 year old glacier!

Congrats on the 77 (now 78) days Rainy! And I am with you on checking in here, I found myself straying again, had to get myself back to the mission.

Steely that sounds like an awesome gig! Getting out amongst the masses, helping people, helping yourself. good deal all around it sounds like.

Life is going going well for me, got myself out of my mental funk. Found myself slipping back to door mat status in regards to my husband. It was always easier to just go along with whatever his ideas or plans were. If I wasn't enthusiastic about them, he would get all hurt and play the martyr. So I would just say okay fine and carry on, regardless of what I wanted or thought. I am changing that around and not taking on his emotions, take a stand for what I want, my needs and what I want to do sometimes. And I have found that it has helped our relationship, us walking side by side, not with me two steps back and to the left.

Well it looks like I have babbled on long enough for this round, so make this day your own Nobenders!

Badge
Old 02-08-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

That was no babble badge, it was great.

It's crazy isn't it?.....trying to "act sober", so exhausting and so self defeating.

So happy to read you going for your own needs. That's what I'm trying to do to. My neighbour friend came down for a cuppa and said to me that she can hear a greater strength in my voice, and a determination she hasn't seen in me before. It made my day, because she does not lie.

If you don't mind me asking, how is your husband handling your self assertion?

One of the bummers that I'm experiencing is difficulty in sleeping all through the night. I noticed that others are sleeping better, but this is not the case for me. Do others have trouble with sleep?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty hot where I am, so I've had trouble recently too Steely.

D
Old 02-08-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Morning guys. Day 13. All the kids gone to school and hubby at work. House is clean so sitting wondering what I'll do today. But first things first, want to check in with my online family.
Steely congratulations on your new job at the op shop. Sounds great. With regard to sleeping, I'm sleeping better but still not the whole way through the night. Wake up a couple of times but now I go back to sleep instead of lying there with both my pulse and thoughts racing.
Rainy, congratulations on day 78. Way to go.
Badge, isn't it funny the things we did to try and mask our problem.
Wishing you all a wonderful day and talking about thrift stores, I think I might take a walk down to our local one today. See if I can find any treasures!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Congrats Poppy on your 90 and your rescue mission. I welled up reading your note on paying it forward. Big Karma alright!

Well done Rainy on reaching 77 or is it 78?

You sound strong Badge, an example to us all. Keep the positivity and i'll raise a glass of coconut water with you on Monday.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Sleep hmmmm..... I too experience issues with sleep. A couple of weeks ago I was getting about 4-5 hours per night. This week I am getting about 8.
I am not doing anything different one week to the next so I have also wondered whether these random patterns are my body still adjusting to no alcohol.
Hopefully Steely your sleep becomes more restful.
One thing I do notice is that I can wake myself up coughing (I still smoke) some nights.
And if I woke up from 2.45am onwards, my brain would go into full wake up mode so there was no point me trying to go back to sleep. These times I would be knackered by 8pm that day.
One thing you could try Steely is taking your 2mg of V at night? My fit bit told me that my sleeps are more restful and longer on the days I had a V.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Thanks November. How are you doing? Update please
I have decided my next 'milestone' is double digits. So 9 days until I hit that.
I am thinking of going to Japan this year. One of our airlines (Jetstar) have super cheap flights, something like $400 return. NICE ONE!
I'm thinking an overseas trip could be a great reward and something I have to look forward to. I realised the other day I haven't been outside of Australia since 2009. Too long. Has anyone here been to Japan? If so, how was it, any tips on places to see etc?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Poppy, Japan has been on my travel list for a few years. You'll have to report back if you go.

Steely, thanks for the writing by Mary Oliver. Congrats on your new job. Good sleep comes and goes for me. I have been sleeping great until the past 3 nights and then only 3 hours asleep each night. Sure makes for a groggy day. I'm thinking about taking something natural to help me sleep tonight.