Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 90 days Angie

D
Old 02-06-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Soooo, I just got home from my first dinner with friends IN A BAR! Surprisingly wasn't difficult but I was aware of my surroundings which felt kind of weird (I have spent many a drunken night in this establishment).
I won't be making a habit of it but I am glad I did it. My friends are super supportive so that made it easier no doubt. Only 1 had a cider and I had a lemon lime and bitters. The other had a Diet Coke.
No dizzy spells today either
Off to bed, I hope you are all doing well. Will check back in tomorrow xoxo
Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi Badge! Looks like the ice is gone and the rain is back. I'm ready for spring!

I'm on the 6th day of a cold and ready to feel better. I did finally get a good night of sleep last night. That helps my mood more than anything else. I agree with you, PhoenixJ, that sleep is one of the most important factors in healing our bodies.

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week.

Angie, congrats on 90 days!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Hello Angie, congratulations on your 90 days and I hope this considerable achievement helps lift your blue mood.

Hi Steely, so far so good, but I'm glad my friend recommended SR as I'm thinking of drink more often now than before.

Hi Badger, we will hopefully be sharing the 90 day free mark soon. Good luck with your netflix search.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Greetings Fellow Travellers and Nobenders that constitute the Class of November 2016.

Now that we are approaching, or have met or passed the three month stage, how have all your lives improved, health wise or socially?

Similarly, are there elements of your health or well-being that have gotten worse as a result of quitting the sauce?

For my part, the health benefits have been:

Improved skin -redness disappearing as well as blemishes and spots. Also less dry;
Better sleep. Still not perfect, but much better.;
Better appetite - food tastes much better;
No more headaches (well, so far.....);
No more hangovers.

Social benefits:

I can take my car everywhere;
I can remember everything that happens;
Fewer social gaffes ( well, drunken ones - I can still screw up when sober!).

Downside:

When I wake up, that's the best I'm going to feel all day.....

Over to you Fellow Travellers.........
Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Hiya Solly,
Gains for me:-
- no more anxiety, shame, depression from drinking. My mental health has improved significantly.
- clearer skin
- more tone and less bloating
- better focus, memory is getting better by the day
- restful sleeps
- way more energy
- my eyes are more vibrant and clear
- I smile a lot more
- less stress

Minor downsides I have experienced:-
- annoying headaches on occasion
- I have a sweet tooth now, loving me some chocolate and cakes lol
- mood swings, I can get agitated by the smallest thing (although I could whilst drinking but I remember my angst now as I am not in a black out)
- dizzy spells immediately after I stand up (this could be dehydration or heat stroke though)

All in all quitting drinking is the best thing I did in 2016. I am looking forward to seeing in 2018 with a year of sobriety under my belt.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Hey Nobenders!

Congrats to all reaching (or soon to reach) 90 days. I started late in the month, so I have a few more weeks. Day 70 today. Feeling pretty pumped up about that.

I have had those dizzy spells too. Thankful they don't last long. I am always fearful of equilibrium issues because my son has MS. It's always in the back of my mind whether I have it too. I can't think of that though... must... stay... positive.

Here's my take on the health benefits and/or downside of my 70 days sober:

Health benefits:
Lost 12 pounds...
Face is no longer red and puffy...
Remember the night before...
No screaming matches with hubby...
More time on my hands for household chores...
Better productivity at work...
Enjoying quality time with grandkids...

Downside:
None that I can think of, other than periods of feeling left out...

I agree that quitting drinking was the best thing I did in 2016. I, too, am looking forward to seeing what this year brings.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone that has hit or is about to hit the 3 month mark! I’m with Abriella in that I started in late November. Today is day 76 for me.

Benefits:
- much better sleep
- clearer mind (this comes from releasing the guilt that went along with over consumption of alcohol daily)
- clearer skin
- my vision has improved (I didn’t even know it was fuzzy before I stopped drinking)
- my hair is becoming healthier
- better relationships
- reading time (I could never focus on a book for more than a few minutes)
- more productive at home
- exercising is now fun

Downside:
- sugar cravings (I have never craved sugar until now)
- socializing with friends that still drink
- mood swings (although they are getting better the farther I get from Day 1)
Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great going everyone - lots of milestones here or just ahead.

I'm glad things went ok but yeah I wouldn't make a habit of it just yet Poppy - keep building up those sober muscles first...you'll be glad you did

D
Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

One more day until the big NINE ZERO
Dee, I definitely won't be making a habit of it, I don't want my resolve to slip and inserting myself in areas where drinking is paramount seems to be a bit of a silly idea to me
Steely, hope you are okay. I just got a notification on my phone that NSW is getting hammered by storms and torrential rain.
To everyone else in this awesome group, I hope you are having a great and sober Tuesday
xoxo
Old 02-06-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone. Day 11 and feeling ok. Enjoying reading through some posts and happy in the knowledge that my class mates are doing so very well.
Congratulations poppy and Angie on 90 days. Way to go. X
Hope your feeling better Lady and Rainy. X
Hi Steely, PJ, badger, Solly, Abby, November....everybody.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

hello all.
Benefits for me;
Health- this is a big thing for me, my heart no longer flips and flops all over my chest and into my throat. chest pressure all gone
BP- went from 200 something over 110 something to the 130's over 90's
Paranoia and anxiety over getting caught, having my stash discovered is gone.
Brain- clearer, memory improved, fog has lifted.
Weight- no joy there, still weigh the same.
Slowly becoming more confident in myself, speaking up for what I want, no longer being quite the doormat that I was, altho this is still a work in progress.
bank account- wow did that improve!! I wont do the math about how much money i spent on destroying myself. I would want to drink again I'm sure.

The only downside I see is that I cannot sit on the patio in the evenings with my husband and have a glass of wine. We camp whenever possible and sitting by the fire, star watching with a glass of wine together, was and is one of my favorite things to do. I haven't done this yet since November, and I am feeling a bit wistful at the loss. I am not sure a glass of water or tea will cut it. Just being honest.

Badge
Old 02-07-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

It's a cold, damp and grey Tuesday here, much like my mood.
I'm off work today so I should really get out and do something positive (before my dentists appointment, I'm terrified)....maybe i'll go to the Tate Modern.
My teeth are is such a terrible state from years of smoking (I'm tobacco free for 4 years) and drinking (alcohol free for 84 days) and going to rubbish dentists and I've been putting this day on hold for 18+ months now.

Just to answer your note on improvements and opposite Solly
Improvements:
Calmer/not so angry
More in control of emotions (most of the time)
Skin looks healthier
Body has toned/lost flab
Reading lots of books
Not wasting time drinking
Not making a public fool of myself/more self esteem
More time for people

Downside:
Irrational thoughts and conclusions
Loneliness (most of my local friends I know through alcohol)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Although I'm not as far along as you guys I thought I would write down my positives and negatives for my journey so far:
*I am a better mother and wife
*I like myself for the first time in a long time. Take more care of myself
*Not as depressed or as anxious
*Feeling healthier. No more pain from gastritis due to drinking so much
*Blood pressure is back to normal and pulse not racing
*Have lost about 15lbs
*Not wasting my days drinking myself into oblivion and then trying my best to hide it when my husband comes home
*Not wasting copious amounts of money
*My days are more productive
*Lost the bloated, red face
*Sleeping better
*Not worrying about what I said or did the night before
*Not thinking about where I hid the empty bottles and being anxious about my husband finding them
*Leaving the house more and taking part in family activities, instead of staying home in case I would miss out on 'valuable' drinking time
*Not worrying about who I called on the phone and what I talked to them about
* Not worrying about people being able to smell booze of me

I guess the down side is I am afraid of what people will think of me in social gatherings because I'm not drinking. Will they be talking amongst themselves and coming to the conclusion that I'm not drinking because I am 'ethanol challenged' as Robin Williams used to call it. Hate the thoughts of being labeled.
The other thing is being afraid of relapsing and jeopardizing all of the positives as noted above.

Another thing to add is I have got to meet all you great people. Thank you for being there. Much love to you all.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Good one Kimmy. Keep up the goo fight. My thoughts and support to you. Strength in unity. PJ

My thoughts and support to you all. You ALL show courage.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

PJ, thank you. I have so admiration for you. Your strength and courage inspires me. Much love. Xx
Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

So good to read everyone's posts on the benefits of stopping (top idea Solly), and even though I'm still a bit of a scaredy cat there have been huge benefits.

Sure, there have been some improvements in my physical appearance for which I'm glad...gotta keep myself nice , but for me it's been the mental improvements that I appreciate the most.

I have found the capacity to say NO, and feel OK, even good about it. I am learning that I have as much entitlement as the next, and no longer let people treat me like shite because I thought I WAS shite.

I am asserting myself a whole lot better, and can meet people's gaze, which is truly wonderful. I have optimism for the future, and am eating and budgeting better.

It is my mental landscape that has shown the greatest improvement. In a word, I can THINK!

I'm still broke, my housing is tenuous, I get freaky thoughts and am still scared, but now I'm holding the rudder whereas before, I was up shite creek in a barbed wire canoe.

It feels so good to have this greater sense of control and will never drink again, and which I never thought possible. So before I start cryin' I'll buzz off and thank you all so much for being there, I could not have done it alone.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hey Poppy, you made it. The big NINE ZERO! Congratulations. Rock on sister, rock on Nobenders.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hi Angie
Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

I've made it. Woot woot! NINETY DAYS and going strong.
On my morning walk earlier I came across an injured baby kookaburra. She (I am guessing it's a girl because she is so cute) is safely in a cardboard box waiting for the vet to open at 8am. Fingers crossed they can save her. Looks like one of her legs is broken. Can everyone cross their fingers and toes for the little munchkin please.
Hope everyone is sober and happy
I'm happy, just worried about the baby in my bedroom awaiting treatment.