Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 12-21-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SulfuricSplash View Post
Then the other half is everyone married with kids with perfect lives. UGH.
I'm ashamed to admit it, but this is why I don't do Facebook. It makes me feel like everyone has richer, more exciting life than me. And most of them probably do (), but I still need to be grateful for what I have, which is so much more than many have.

But I got a lesson recently in assuming things about the perfection of others' lives. My brother is one of those people whose lives I thought was perfect. And I'm sure it is very good. But on Sunday Mom told me the company he works for (that my uncle founded forty-some years ago) is going under, so he's going to have to find another job after having worked at this company almost his entire adult life (he's 43). In the meantime, the position he's in has him under almost-unbearable stress, and as my mom said, for my brother, who is not a complainer, to say something like that means it must be truly awful.

My brother also revealed that his father-in-law is splitting with his wife AND that his brother-in-law is probably going to be splitting with HIS wife (they have twin toddler boys).

So it just served as a reminder to me that whatever things look like from the outside, the inside story may be very, very different.

That meeting I tried to go to was actually me getting more in my comfort zone! It was supposed to be a women's meeting, and I felt like I'd be more at ease there than in a regular meeting. So I'm not so courageous in that area. Thanks though!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 20. Heading to a spin class. Been really busy with work, it's the upcoming down time that I must stay on track. Xxoo to our group!
Old 12-21-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

MeSoSober,
I feel the same way. I stick with my own reality. I don't have to brag or compare it to anyone.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

One thing I once read on here is so true. No one posts pictures of their crying children, messy house or talks about the row with their spouse, money worries, mess up at work, failing to meet targets, weight worries, substance abuse concerns or health problems on social media. It's all the highlight reel not the real behind the scenes. Take it all with a pinch of salt it's not a true reflection
Old 12-21-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Evening all. Day 17 here. Its been another quiet one at work, which is nice as there's no stress for once! I'm seeing family tonight and then planning to just completely kick back and chill for a few hours. Any thoughts of drinking are still being immediately shut down by my brain at this point, but i'm sure the big cravings will come at some point. I'm ready for them when they do.

ReadyAtLast - glad things went okay at work for you in the end. I'm exactly the same though for worrying unduly about things! Have fun in the Lakes tomorrow, beautiful part of the world, I shall wave back!

Robinson - great to hear from you, hope you enjoyed the class.

Conquest - Narcos &The Killing and are some of my recent favorites on Netflix. Also heard very good things about The OA

Bemyself - sounds like you're doing great

Amber - get well soon!

Sameold - Have a great christmas, but hopefully we will here from you before then

Regarding the social media postings, i completely agree with you all. Going off Facebook (and I find Instagram even worse for this actually), you would be led to believe everyone had a completely perfect life. Dig a little deeper however, and its just not true. That's why I also tend to stay away from social media, especially at this time of the year!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I second the killing. I've got really into the Scandinavian noir drama. The bridge , arne dahl and unit one are also excellent.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hey all, just checking in. I usually try to post in the morning before heading to work but was rushing to get out the door after staying up a bit late working on a project in the garage.
Alive and well and looking forward to a SOBER Holiday Season!
Old 12-21-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Quitter,
I just LOVE projects! I sew (garden, too) and really get into 'the flow' when working on a project. That means the time flys by because I am in the moment! I feel so enriched and fulfilled! Hope you do, too! ♡CR
Old 12-21-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks BBB and MeSoSober feel much better tonight. Must not over think - till next time!

Night everyone.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Sweet dreams, ReadyAtLast!
Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning, troops,
Have to be quick - need to get going to a psych session very soon. Pretty damn wrecked (tired, tired, tired) this morning - not helped by Bess waking me up at 4.45.am. Had an extra hour back in bed a little later, but still that crappy sleepy scratchy eyes feeling's lingering. O well, just how it is. Had a little brekky, showered n dressed (miracles, all, for me by 9 a.m. these days).
At least I can go back to bed for another catch up sleep later on, unlike those of you still in the years of families and /or jobs to service: I salutes youse all!

Back later on today

Vic
Old 12-21-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amber1988 View Post
Hi Chloe ☺ it's cold here in England! It's 9:42am and I'm in bed still, treating myself to a lie in as I'm sick with a cold and bronchitis 🤧 Day three for me today!
Hope you feel better soon amber. It's cold and windy up in Scotland too wish it would snow though!
Old 12-21-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Sweet dreams, ReadyAtLast!
Thanks Chloe have a good evening.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Glad to see so many sticking with it!

I'll be up for a bit tonight so decided on the last episodes of Orange is the New Black. Thanks for all of the other suggestions, too.

I saw this a long time ago and thought I'd share with y'all. It resonated with me and serves as a light-hearted reminder to take charge of my own actions. Enjoy and keep at it!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VrSUe_m19FY
Old 12-21-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Today's been tougher than yesterday for me. AV (Gollum, mine often sounds like...) been very smarmy. The nerve!
Old 12-22-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Just completed 3 weeks. On to day 22 when I wake up. Bedtime for me now.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Cute - congrats on your 3 weeks!!

Morning gang. Day 18 here. Logged on at work and having my morning coffee. It's so quiet in the office over Christmas. Good job I have plenty of music to keep me occupied!

Have a great day all
Old 12-22-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

PJ - don't remind me!
I am going to start ... and finish the Christmas shopping today! And get the exhaust on the car fixed. I figured I used to do it hungover/drunk in one day. Sober should be a piece of cake.

Here's to a busy day 9.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks CAGY

Off on hols this afternoon and might not be able to check in as no idea what the internet signal is like. Thinking of you all anyway and stay strong!

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Morning all,
Quick check in before work..all is well on day 6.

Cute...congrats on 3 weeks! That's terrific.

I do no social media (though I am old and never got used to it). But I agree with the comparison piece...everyone takes it as an opportunity to showcase all the great things they do..not reality!!

We also have close friends who I thought had a perfect life...3 great kids, beautiful house by the water, great jobs, nice extended family..the whole package....well, not so much. It turns out one child had a nervous breakdown in college and the husband is an alcoholic as well. She just lost her young brother to cancer...everyone deals with some difficulties.

Though we are facing some potentially tough financial times ahead, I pray for the best and stay sober to not add to the chaos..today.

Have a great Thursday everyone xoxo