Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 12-20-2016, 02:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Survived another one. My brother decided to be a big A-hole last night to top things off. I ended up just putting my project away for the night and did some reading.
4:45 am here in the COLD COLD Midwest! Gotta get moving before I am late for work. Time to find my HAPPY PLACE.
Let's get through this day SOBER!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I joined these boards about a year ago but made little/no progress then, continuing to drink daily until this last weekend, when I decided enough! I might put the details in a separate post later on. Today is my day 2. Yesterday was okay, but strange having all that free time with the evening stretching out in front of me. I managed to watch six episodes of a sitcom with my other half, and I actually got into it, I was fully engaged and I laughed genuinely and sincerely (this is unusual and eventful enough for me to make a point of!) - if I had been drunk I'd have been restless and unable to concentrate on what was even happening. I wouldn't have cared about TV, too busy obsessing about knocking my glasses of wine back. I'm taking this as a positive sign of things to come if I can just crack this thing. My problems in recovery gain strength the further I get from my last hangover but I am educating myself now and I have a supportive partner this time
Old 12-20-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I'm Annalise. I'm on day one and popping in to say Hi.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Annalise, I am on day one (for the thousandth time) as well. I am looking forward to going to sleep sober tonight. Going to be a long slog through the day though.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome Annalise and Amber

Amber - Good job on Day 2, and i'm glad your partner is supportive. Filling that free time when I'd have been drinking is key for me. Even if i'm just reading, or browsing the boards here, as long as I keep my mind busy, it makes it that bit easier.

Quitter - my my you get up early! Good on you for getting through that added stress last night

Flg - congrats on a week!

Winding down time for me now tonight. All i've done today at work is eat . Going to keep myself busy reading and maybe even some xbox with friends later.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi fellow recoverers! Just wanted to pop in to say "hi!". I'm on day 3 today and feeling pretty well, minus the bronchitis and sinus infection I have. I did go to the doctor yesterday and am already feeling a little better. So far, my determination is strong and I am thankful for that! Didn't make it to the meeting last night and won't tonight , but hopefully tomorrow. Let's all stay sober for today!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just a quick pop in to say you guys can do this if it is your first Christmas sober I understand it can be nerve-racking but I promise you it's doable stick close to SR throughout the holidays reach out any second you need to & remember were all in this together

Old 12-20-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

On day 7 today, I can't believe it. I actually woke up feeling pretty good today, I hope its not just a pink cloud
Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello all and welcome Annalise and Amber! Day 20. There will be plenty of tests coming up this next few weeks but we will all face em together. Stay close and we shall have victory!!!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Had a terrible day. My son is ill again and off school.hope he feels better soon.it's awful for them when they are feeling ill.

I had a bad day at work too. Acted outside my authority in saying something to someone. I was just so angry and annoyed I spoke out of turn. Not in anger but because of it. Although what I said was correct it wasn't my place to say it. I should have just left it for my boss to deal with tomorrow. I have a very good relationship with my boss I'm still dreading going into work tomorrow and being in trouble. It's consuming all my thoughts. My mind is intensely anxious. A drink would numb the thoughts. I just can't switch off the crazy intense thoughts what he might say what I should say. I won't drink but first really bad day tbh.

I'll get no sleep tonight and feel even worse tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

We are steadily gaining classmates and that is GOOD!!! Welcome to all of the new folks!
Have lost a few along the way it seems. I hope they are still popping in. No judgements here, Day 1 means you are giving it another go. Shore up your PLAN (everyone has a plan, right) and let's do this!
My wife and I were just discussing today how much nicer life is not waking hungover, doing more positive things with our time etc.....
Old 12-20-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

OK - before I second-guess myself: I'm in.

I've been battling (again) the descent into drinking most afternoons / evenings of the past two weeks, after starting drinking again back in mid-November. It wasn't catastrophic at the time................I convinced myself I was doing 'harm minimisation'. Seriously!!!! wtf. After years in AA, numerous stints in rehab, addiction counselling, and everything else in between: I should know better.

And I DO know better, than to pick up that first drink...................which can seem so innocuous, according to the Addictive Voice. And then eventually, as the days and then weeks - or months - go by, my intended and seriously-committed Day 1's of the morning is wiped out by the early afternoon, sometimes even after I've come home from a meeting, or session with my GP or psychologist!!! Or even earlier.....my pattern (just been reading the bumped thread about the cycles of relapse, can highly recommend).

I'm genuinely afraid - of these next few days, what with Christmas...and it's going to be increasingly hot here, which makes it hard for me to get out and about to fill the hours. Danger, plus.

Sorry to ramble on as I know Class posts are usually quick check-ins....but I really have to tell my current story, being honest - so critical - and just be connected with you guys here, especially when I'm here at home alone and can't get out to a meeting in that hour.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Bemyself, I know exactly how you feel and I really admire the honesty in your post. I've done this a fair few times now, and as I think you are, am just completely fed up of the cycle. I've just read the thread you're referring to, thanks for the recommendation, some great stuff in there.

You're in the right place and its great to hear from you. You can get through those first few days. I know exactly how you feel right now, and i'm right behind you.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Had a terrible day. My son is ill again and off school.hope he feels better soon.it's awful for them when they are feeling ill.

I had a bad day at work too. Acted outside my authority in saying something to someone. I was just so angry and annoyed I spoke out of turn. Not in anger but because of it. Although what I said was correct it wasn't my place to say it. I should have just left it for my boss to deal with tomorrow. I have a very good relationship with my boss I'm still dreading going into work tomorrow and being in trouble. It's consuming all my thoughts. My mind is intensely anxious. A drink would numb the thoughts. I just can't switch off the crazy intense thoughts what he might say what I should say. I won't drink but first really bad day tbh.

I'll get no sleep tonight and feel even worse tomorrow.
Hi RAL,

I hope you manage to get some relaxation and sleep tonight. I know for me, I tend to over dramatise future events in my head. I have a tendency to get in a bit of a vicious cycle and build them up so much that the original issue becomes way bigger than it ever needed to be. What has worked for me recently is to attack the worry, stress and fear about the event head on. I ask myself in my head 'Okay, what's the worst that can happen in this situation, and is it even really that bad?', and then 'how likely is this to happen?'. After this, i often realise that I've built it up to be a much bigger issue than it actually is. Not saying this will work for you, but I thought I'd share as it has helped me put things in perspective in times of stress/worry.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Amber Annalise and bemyself.
Posts can be as long as you need them to be Vic

Welcome back Spartanman!

I'm sorry about your son RAL - and try not to worry too much - there's not one of us here who hasn't spoken out of turn before.

I am sure it will be OK

Congrats CAGY and BBB & everyone hitting a milestone today no matter what it is

The support here can really change things - use it guys!

D
Old 12-20-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just passing ('the Crushe'r- bugs). I have noticed people around me in the sur-real world are stressing- because they think Xmas will be stressful. I do that, I will get angry at myself for being angry. Best to have a plan in place to stay safe and sober and accept the day for what it is.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Right. Need to get that one-foot-in-front-of-the-other thing going...feeling pretty shaky and weak: so make a piece of toast. Have shower, dress and drive to a local 11 am meeting. If I'm a little late, no stress.

On the way home then, I have to stop at supermarket on the way for some milk etc.; and NOT turn left at the entrance into its bottle shop section. So basic, wouldn't you think?! Will have Scorn and Ridicule waiting at the ready for the AV, no matter how tiny its whisper nor how loud its reasons.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

OK, people, I am supposed to go to this women's AA meeting at 7:30. It is cold and dark here, and the meeting is about a 25-minute drive away. Please kick my a$$ out the door and make sure I go. This is your big opportunity!

KICK ME
Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

MesSS - Off you go, darl! I'm already showered and dressed for mine (here on the other side of the world!). I'll race ya :-)
Old 12-20-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

PUTTING SHOES ON

(Love ya bemyself!)