View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
MeSoSober

Originally Posted by SulfuricSplash View Post
Then the other half is everyone married with kids with perfect lives. UGH.
I'm ashamed to admit it, but this is why I don't do Facebook. It makes me feel like everyone has richer, more exciting life than me. And most of them probably do (), but I still need to be grateful for what I have, which is so much more than many have.

But I got a lesson recently in assuming things about the perfection of others' lives. My brother is one of those people whose lives I thought was perfect. And I'm sure it is very good. But on Sunday Mom told me the company he works for (that my uncle founded forty-some years ago) is going under, so he's going to have to find another job after having worked at this company almost his entire adult life (he's 43). In the meantime, the position he's in has him under almost-unbearable stress, and as my mom said, for my brother, who is not a complainer, to say something like that means it must be truly awful.

My brother also revealed that his father-in-law is splitting with his wife AND that his brother-in-law is probably going to be splitting with HIS wife (they have twin toddler boys).

So it just served as a reminder to me that whatever things look like from the outside, the inside story may be very, very different.

That meeting I tried to go to was actually me getting more in my comfort zone! It was supposed to be a women's meeting, and I felt like I'd be more at ease there than in a regular meeting. So I'm not so courageous in that area. Thanks though!