Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 12-20-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

MeSS - at times like this, I have to make my mind still and open. Sweep away the s(*^t thoughts - for me, I know full well that the AV picks up on them and has a field day. Particularly - and ironically - about going to an AA meeting. Well, duh!

Put on coat. put on shoes. get keys. You know the drill, as do I. Let's just do it, together.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

We are go for launch Houston! Leaving in 5, 4, 3 . . .

(Thank you for helping me, bemyself!)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

This group rocks! Just sayin

We just finished up watching Stranger Things. What a cool series! And it looks like season 2 will come out in July. Augh, that's a long time to wait. Any recommendations for my next Netflix marathon? Tomorrow, I'll be stuck at home all day and would love a distraction (prepping for colonoscopy...gross..nuff said).

Best wishes for everyone, day 1 or more!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post

We just finished up watching Stranger Things. What a cool series! And it looks like season 2 will come out in July. Augh, that's a long time to wait. Any recommendations for my next Netflix marathon? Tomorrow, I'll be stuck at home all day and would love a distraction (prepping for colonoscopy...gross..nuff said).

Two things --

1. You really, REALLY need to read Dave Barry's column on his first colonoscopy: Dave Barry: A journey into my colon ? and yours | Miami Herald

2. I really enjoyed the first season of American Horror Story on Netflix.

You rock too!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Chomp, chomp chomp - on my fresh chicken, spinach leaves, spanish onion, avocado n mayonnaise sandwich. Lunch! bought the goodies at the supermarket after the meeting, and NO visit to the bottle shop.

Was a terrific meeting, packed - well, it is a pretty small venue. When asked to share, up I popped, told them the story - and about MeSo and I spurring each other on beforehand, across the oceans. Can't tell you how much that brief posting exchange helped. Hmmmm. Must do that more often. Slow learner :-)

Conquest, The Crown on Netflix is truly top drawer, if you haven't seen it. Positively cinematic quality - esp if you watch it on a decent size telly, not just on a computer screen.

Off to do some Guardian online crosswords, siesta, take Bessie Dog out to dog park or somewhere a bit later - today's quite mild, not too hot for us both.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Heading to bed sober!! Grateful for that!! Just participated (well, really read along) in the SR Tuesday night chat discussion. Have questions about how it really works, but a very good and inspiring way to spend an hour.

I bought a notebook to journal my way through my sobriety journey. Have had a few "pangs" when seeing alcohol the last 2 days, but no desire to partake. Let's stay sober today! So appreciative for each of you, even though I don't really know any of you at this point, I'm grateful to be surrounded by such supportive people!
Old 12-20-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

All awesome suggestions! Thanks everyone! Reading the column now

Oh. My. Stars!!! I laughed so hard I cried! Thanks so much for the link, MeSo. It really helped to reassure me and lighten my mood.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I did well today including the things I said earlier I'd do - lovely mid-arvo nap, then took Bess for an on-leash walk, knocked over a few more Guardian crosswords (they have all the old ones going back for pages, it's brilliant! so I'm currently back to April this year. Only the Quick ones, but even they're pretty fiendish. A wonderful way to just zone out of worries and such whilst also working memory etc - sort of brain gym for um, Seniors.)

thinking now about making some dinner - spaghetti with tinned tuna, tomato pesto, capers, n topped with parmesan cheese is easy and delish. Simple things, which I enjoy more and more these days, feeling so much better without the AV monkey sniping away - though I know to expect its return sometime soon. Par for the course when all that Beast area of my brain's been re-activated with alcohol recently.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

and liver and prostate and cholesterol.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Hi RAL,

I hope you manage to get some relaxation and sleep tonight. I know for me, I tend to over dramatise future events in my head. I have a tendency to get in a bit of a vicious cycle and build them up so much that the original issue becomes way bigger than it ever needed to be. What has worked for me recently is to attack the worry, stress and fear about the event head on. I ask myself in my head 'Okay, what's the worst that can happen in this situation, and is it even really that bad?', and then 'how likely is this to happen?'. After this, i often realise that I've built it up to be a much bigger issue than it actually is. Not saying this will work for you, but I thought I'd share as it has helped me put things in perspective in times of stress/worry.
Hi BBB, Thanks for your post. It helps to know I'm not alone and it's not just me. Your words are so right thank you. I always thnk of the worst case scenario (being sacked) but realistically knew this isn't going to happen. just got into work now and all fine. boss has something completely different on his mind and isn't at all concerned about what I said! what a wasted evening I had worrying! Thanks again BBB.

Hope all going well for you. We're off over the border to the Lake District tomorrow.I shall wave over to the North east towards you! hope it snows!!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Welcome to all he newbies and congrats on everyone's milestones whether day 1 or 21.

hope your meeting went well MeSS.

Thanks Dee. Jr RAL seems a little better today.

Love reading about people's recipes it's great to get new ideas

We can get through Christmas sober

Have a good day all
Old 12-21-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
and liver and prostate and cholesterol.
Good heavens, PJ - y'mean the Guardian crosswords are good for those too?!

By the bye, Perth's 41 degree heat today is headin' your way - Fri 36, Sat 37, Christmas Day and Boxing Day / Proclamation Day both 40........I feel like wilting and I don't even live there anymore (did 5 years there some time ago - have photo on my picture board of Henley? or Grange? Beach pier just as the sun was sinking below the horizon, about 9.30 or 10.00 pm and still 36 or 37 degrees).

That kinda territory at Christmas is what we used to call in Sydney, during my childhood, A Stinker.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Morning, everyone! Slight warm up here in the Midwest from 7° to 33° makes it feel like Spring!!! Love that!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Chloe ☺ it's cold here in England! It's 9:42am and I'm in bed still, treating myself to a lie in as I'm sick with a cold and bronchitis 🤧 Day three for me today!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Yep- more used WA weather on the way.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post

Orange is the new black! . Not sure if How to get away with murder is on there yet but it's a great show too. My new fave is This is us. You can watch the first half of the season online during the holiday hiatus.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Quick check in before work. On day 5 and feeling okay.

Be myself....you make me hungry with the ingredients you are listing!

Welcome Amber Annalise and spartan man.

Have a great Wednesday..stay strong n sober xo
Old 12-21-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I went to the AA meeting that wasn't.

Had never been to this meeting before. It was being held in a building on a larger hospital complex and I wasn't exactly sure where I was going but figured it out easily enough. Wandered in, up to the 3rd floor, heard voices, and walked in on a meeting that was part of the treatment facility's program -- not an AA meeting. Was told to head down to the 2nd floor, turned and left, then the counselor running that first meeting followed me out, asked if I'd ever been there before, etc. She was trying to help me get to the right place. Said the meeting I was looking for (a women's meeting) was held on Thursday. Handing me a printed AA meeting schedule that neither of us could read (tiny print) but that I thought had the correct date and time on it, but when I looked at it later, it, too, had the (same) wrong time as the online schedule I'd checked.

So it was a mess. But I'm still glad I went -- even if the meeting didn't happen, I held up my end.

Bemyself, I love that you told the story about our leaving to your group! That's great! And you did help me.

Conquest -- Glad you enjoyed. My mom and I have discussed how that column should be blown up and posted in every gastroenterologist's office in the country!

RAL -- I had the same thought as others, that if anything happens at work it will probably be nothing compared to what you've worried it will be. Our minds are awful that way! I'm envious of your trip to the Lake District. I've seen pics and video. Stunning.

Today is my last day of work before an almost two-week break for the holidays. I have been dying for this to happen for a number of reasons. I need to hit the reset button at home and work.

Hope everyone stays strong and sober today -- YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welcome to new recruits and, if you have recently left us for some reason, just come on back! We miss you! :-)

Still here. Still sober. Going pretty well. But, I have spent much of the last 18 days (not that I am counting! :-) or so thinking about, reading about, planning about being sober. Which is great, but it means that I have been a little off the pace with some other aspects of life. Got some tight work deadlines pressing. Got Christmas shopping to do along with other domestic and family stuff.

Anyway, it is all manageable...sober.....and all utterly unmanageable whilst drinking. So, sober it is!

I won't manage many posts between now and New Year. I have not joined the age of smart phones and the like and won't be near a computer for much of the holiday, but might manage the odd check-in.

So wish me luck and strength and I send the same out to all of you.

I said in an earlier post that I might just have the kind of Christmas I have been meaning to have 'next year' since I was about 16. The thought of coming back in January and saying, 'Well I screwed up but there is always next year' is just horrible and I feel UTTERLY DETERMINED that it is not going to happen.

I know it is going to be tough at times but I keep telling myself that this Christmas doesn't have to be perfect - it just has to be sober. The toughest sober will be better and easier than any drinking one.

Love to you all and, if I don't catch up before Sunday, a very merry, peaceful, mindful Christmas to each and everyone.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Mesosober- at least you went to a new meeting and branched out! I need to do that more. I am really bad at getting out of my comfort zone like that. Meetings around me are normally with older men - which is fine I don't care, but I am 32 yr old woman and need to find some peers.

Day 10 sober. Work this week is just crazy busy as we are trying to get a million things done before the break. I normally prefer to be busy, but at the same time I need a little peace in my mind! And I feel like my anxiety is going through the roof.

I broke up and moved out of my alcoholic ex-bf house 4 months ago after he left rehab early. Last night I was seriously debating calling him! I just had this massive anxiety attack that I was going to die alone and be alone my whole life. And that I should have made it work, because I am not perfect either. And I was just forgetting all the horrible things that happened. So glad I didn't call him and just went to bed!

Social media is driving me nuts. If I am honest snap chat contributed some to my relapse as silly as it sounds. One half of social media is me watching all my friends, family members, acquaintances out at bars drinking all the time. Then the other half is everyone married with kids with perfect lives. UGH. I deleted snap chat, but I haven't had the nerve to delete facebook and instagram... I feel like I should. For my own mental health, but haven't had the guts to do it.