Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 01-02-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Quick check in and a happy new year to all.
I kept busy day he last few days no tomorrow I go back to work..ugh...

Day 17 and feeling ehhhh? Still having cravings and getting thru it but not so easily. I've been thinking about drinks no and I don't like it..i distract myself and try to stay busy.

Sober evening to all xox
Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Just wanted to Jump in with you guys! I have had several attempts at getting sober this year and after making it just over 90 days i relapsed in December and ended up in ER due to withdrawals. At this point I have had Several Relapses and all I can say is they get worse and worse and worse. The whole kindling effect is no joke.

I got back with my doctor and we are working on a plan to get me straightened back out. My new sobriety date is 12/23/16. I got 11 days so far.

All I can say is do not fool yourself into thinking that you will have control ever again. It gets worse and worse every time.

I am determined to get back on course and hopefully we can all do this together. Great to know that you are not alone!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Rocky

D
Old 01-02-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Day 32 almost done and the end of the holidays vacations.

Back to work tomorrow sadly too for me BringingBackB.
Returning back to work will be a new challenge because drinking was the "reward" at the end of a working day.
It makes me very nervous...

I know I have to do things differently like preparing supper earlier, come on SR to talk if I need to, call my AA sponsor who knows about this and is ready to take my call anytime. I have some tools to work with.
But still...I'm scared to death of that "liar" in me who was an expert in doing total sabotage when it was to find a way to drink.

I may sound a bit confused but it makes me feel good to ventilate about my fears in here on SR. Thanks folks.

Time to eat for me now and then I'll watch a hockey game before going to bed.
See you all tomorrow with 24 more sober hours to add to our diaries!
We can make it
Old 01-02-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't worry too much Koala - I learned to keep[ that part of me under control...and over time, that part faded away.

I always know what the right thing for me is...I used that as a guide until it became second nature again

D
Old 01-02-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Good to read you Lovehoops and RockyMTNrider, I'm not fighting alone.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Just got back from my first AA meeting since the last relapse. I gotta say it feels so much better getting back in there and surrounding myself with people that understand what i'm going through. I spoke with two guys after the meeting for a while that were close to me in age. We exchanged numbers. Hope is starting to comeback into me again. I am so ready to get back into the positive frame of mind that i had going before my last relapse.
Here is to one more day sober gonna hit a few meetings tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Welcome back Rocky. That must have been terrifying, the possibility of withdrawals scare the life out of me. I had to call ambulance for a friend having seizures once during withdrawal. You are right, it is not to be messed with. Well done for getting off that train.

Koala can you think of a new 'reward' for yourself? A nice , spoil yourself AF drink? Hitting the gym after work? Cooking yourself a more complicated meal than you normally would (provided cooking isn't a trigger)?

How are you feeling now Enfin?

Day 9 check in and off to the docs today to see if they can do anything about my back. I hate going to the doctors as it induces a lot of anxiety in me. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to be put on 24 hour traces as my bp goes sky high, yet at home it's perfect. I may need one of those sober rewards myself once I get back.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Morning...I had to call in sick. ...first time in over 3 years. ..hate it but I can't stop coughing and sweating and feeling like collapse. .. ...cant do my job like that, or any really!!
Hope a day of rest will help....

A bunch of friends has just started organising a 40 th birthday weekend for someone in April. .. in Liverpool, basically a weekend pub and club crawl....in 6 years of living here it's the 1st one I've been invited to so I finally feel included, but I'm just got g to have to say no. I couldn't be sober with 20 plus heavy drinkers drinking all weekend.....the thought sounds like poison and death. I have made an excuse that I can t go in the Sunday as have booked a hol (almost true) will try and go on the sat for the day maybe... but ultimately try and wriggle out of it. She will be almost cross... oh well. Need to be alive to have friends don't I! !!!

Got to get used to this I suppose. I don't have any sober friends ! (Yet)
Old 01-03-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hey guys, can I join? I got sober on the 28th of Dec.

Just looking for support, I want to make it count this time

Happy New Sober Year, Paul
Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Sure Paul! We welcome one and all! Glad to have you here. We are all in this together. The 24 hour thread has been a good place for me to pledge 24 more hours sobriety on a daily basis, it has helped. Make sure you have a plan. Doesn't have to be complicated. I have projects to keep busy with, soft drinks aplenty in the fridge and NO BOOZE in my house. A POSITIVE ATTITUDE helps very much. Don't try to think about a lifetime of never drinking just yet, do it 24 hours at a time and celebrate each victory. It adds up soon and it gets easier!

31 Days here and I would have NEVER dreamed I could do this! I just finally got tired of being addicted to alcohol. There is a better way to live our lives!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 987654 View Post
Hey guys, can I join? I got sober on the 28th of Dec.

Just looking for support, I want to make it count this time

Happy New Sober Year, Paul
Of course...welcome!! There's some lovely people here and the most fab support u can imagine!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitter62 View Post
31 Days here and I would have NEVER dreamed I could do this! I just finally got tired of being addicted to alcohol. There is a better way to live our lives!
That's really cool Quitter!
I'm like you : I never dreamed I could possibly stop more than 3 days in the beginning.
Day 33 for me...11 times more than 3! lol
But it's only 24 hours at a time I have to keep my focus on.
I know that very well now

We can all make this happen again today!
Big koala hug to all of you
Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Exactly Koala! When I used to go 3 days (trying to 'cut down') I really felt like I did something and should be praised by my wife! Then I would usually drink a few 'extra' to make up for what I missed out on! I also tried weekends only but I work four 10's with a 3 day weekend every weekend and always counted Sunday night too so I still drank 4 nights a week but damn sure got plenty in me while the getting was good every 'weekend'!!!!!

Life is a HELL OF A LOT SIMPLER now.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi all,

Day 30 today, one whole month!!!

Back to work today, which was a bit of a slog to tell the truth. Couldn't sleep at all last night either, so i've been quite tired all day. I've just been to the supermarket and was wondering around not even paying attention. I looked up and realised i was in the alcohol section. I say section as there are two whole aisles for the stuff, just as much as fresh food! Anyway, no drama, dodged it and picked up my groceries. I'm still in the phase where i'd rather set myself on fire than drink alcohol again.

RockyMTN - welcome to the gang

Capricallia - hope the visit to the docs went okay

Enfin - Sorry to hear you had to call in sick, but as you say, this is the first time in a long while. I think you've earned a day or so to get yourself together. Hope you feel a bit better this evening.

987654 - welcome

Quitter - congrats on 1 month sober for yesterday!

Koala, 33 days is FANTASTIC, keep going you are killing it
Old 01-03-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Welcome Paul, glad to have you with us.

Exactly Koala, back when I was 'moderating' (ha) I ended up drinking far more on the days that I was to make up for it.

So sorry you're feeling so rotten Enfin. Positive; at least there's no hangover to go with it. I hear you with the big birthdays. I have a friends 40th this year too - and I've to arrange it. I have no clue what to do about that.

Yay go BringingBack! 30 days is marvellous. I love that 'set myself on fire', really made me smile.

Unfortunately no docs didn't go so well. Looks like I'm stuck with my back pain from now on as it's degeneration causing it. Honestly I've spent all afternoon crying and was so, so tempted to push that f-it button. Picked up smokes on the way home (I'd stopped) and very nearly got stuck into all the Christmas alcohol that was left over.

I ended up going onto a forum I've been on for years (more my time zone, no offense to you guys) and they talked me down from it. I've now given away or poured all the booze I had down the sink to get temptation out of the way.

I'm sad and depressed and sore but alcohol will not solve my problems. If anything it will add to my health issues. Someone posted the serenity prayer for me and for the first time ever it really spoke to me. Yes, I'm sad and will probably cry lots more tonight than I already have earlier but I need to face my feelings not bury them.

Today, today is all that matters and I believe I can do that.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Hello all checking in.. I believe day 33. Welcome 987!
I've had a few moments of temptation but they passed. I really want to be more healthy, happy, and progressive this year. I need to get back to where I was... My own place..my own car...and a great job. A good significant other wouldn't hurt either :P. Congrats on a month or more Quitter, Koala, and BBB.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Mr B

D
Old 01-03-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Welcome 987654! For everyone that has gotten 30 days great job! After having relapsed a few times this year all I can say is that month milestones are great just do not take them for granted. It may be just the way that my brain is wired or the way that I have been approaching my recovery but every one of my relapses has come around when I hit a month long mile stone. Again could just be me but i'd hit 60 days and id be like well if I can make it that long I fine. I'd try to go back and have a few drinks with not intention of diving back into it and low and behold I would loose control again very quickly. If you have not researched Kindling I highly recommend that you do it. It is a real thing as I have been living it this year. I never imagined that i would wind up in ER and I did. Wishing you all guys all the best. "I'm just not going to drink today" is all you need.

Sober Vibes!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Hello, inspiring December peeps.

I'm on a roll. Just finished washing the dishes AND my face. And before that I COOKED. Sort of. Made garlic parmesan roasted broccoli -- soooo simple and TASTY:

Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli - Damn Delicious

No urges really to speak of. Read a very short recovery book today that came in the mail. Unfortunately, it didn't do much for me, but these things are, of course, very subjective. I took a shot and reading about getting sober is part of my recovery plan.

Volunteering is also part of my plan; I emailed the soup kitchen I pitched in at on Saturday -- the next date they gave me isn't until the 28th. Wanted to be a little more involved than that, but it's cool. I'll find ways to busy myself (that DON'T involve alcohol).
Like some others, it was my first full workday since December 21. It was all right.

Capricallia, I am sorry about the news you got from your doctor. I hope that some kind of exercise or therapy or whatever your doctor recommends will keep your discomfort to a minimum.

RockyMTNrider and 987654, welcome to you! Ha ha, Paul, I typed that number out and was like, "an all-digits username is kinda hard to remember" and then I realized -- duh, a countdown. Derp.

enfin -- hope you feel better soon. And passing on the pub crawl is wise. You're going to wake up those mornings feeling fresh as a daisy and they're going to feel like a bus hit them. I sure as [heck] don't miss THAT.

Congrats to everyone else hanging in and fighting the good fight. WE ARE DOING THIS.