Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 01-01-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

It's not December anymore! I know it makes no difference, and certainly doesn't add days to my sobriety, but it feels good to know I made it through everything December is. Starting this new year at Day 18, looking forward to seeing what it brings.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Yesterday I spent four hours at our local soup kitchen helping to serve meals to those less fortunate (financially, anyway) than myself. Met some nice new people and gave back to my community. I'll be going back.
I wish I could do a good deed like you did and give some of my time into a volunteer service in the neighborhood where I live.
I have no clue where to start to offer my services but I'll find out.
Thanks for your post, there is a lot of wisdom in what you say MeSoSober.
You seem to have a big tool set for someone sober for 20 days.
I'm impressed.

It's funny indeed RayJay that we are now in a new month and even a new year! I hope your day 18 will be nice and peaceful.

Have a good 24 hour mes amis!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Hey Koala --

It's easy to "assemble" the tools, harder to actually USE them. But thank you for your kind words! I Googled "Montreal volunteer opportunities" and this was one of the links that came up:

Bienvenue sur le site du Centre d'action bénévole | Volunteer Bureau of Montreal

I hope there'll be something there for you!

I don't have kids to attend to or any other excuses for not volunteering, and for me volunteering is a way of ensuring that my life matters and that I'm actively contributing to making other people's lives a little better. It makes me feel better about myself. Gets me out of my place and out of my head. Lets me meet new people. And God knows I have my share of BS to atone for.

So now, on New Year's Day, is when the recovery and self-improvement planning stops and the execution starts. Follow through is the hardest part, but I know that staying sober will make it easier.

Thanks to everyone here for being here and for your support. It makes all the difference.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone! Made it past 30 days again woo hoo.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Happy New Year everyone! Made it past 30 days again woo hoo.
Flipping awesome... stick to it matey!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

So today marks day 5 in a row... and in this holiday of 16 days i have been sober for 11 of them.... better than usual! But I am now committed to continuing sobriety. We have signed up for dry january and gone public with this. .. raising money for charity too. So I figured afyer Jan I'd be a little more established and could then say to people, 'I liked sobriety so much I'm sticking with it!!!' No one would question that I reakon and I feel it sounds good to me! Plus I like raising money for charity
. .raised 200 for water aid before Xmas at work by organising an event. Feels good...

Maybe I could do more...

Also me and husband are planning easter hols with sober profits. ... water parks and foreign lands! But not in previous boozy locations.. new places full of outdoor stuff. .. ah plans.... the stuff to do between doing stuff!

Night night, hope sleep finds you x
Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

CuteNGay - great job on your month sober and great to hear from you too

Enfin - Likewise with your 5 days! Dry January sounds like a great thing to get involved in, and it can only help if your husband is doing it too. We usually have a few people at work attempting it, so if its talked about I will certainly join in with them. But then also a dry Feb,March,April and so on!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Koala and CAGY on your milestones

D
Old 01-02-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Brilliant CuteNGayYay, well done. I think 30 days deserves a nice sober treat for yourself.

Dry January is a fab excuse to bat off any questions people may ask Efin. It's cancer research that's involved with that one isn't it or do you pick your own? Well done on 5 days.

I'm impressed with you volunteering MeSoSober. I wish I had time to give something back to my local community but being a lone parent to two littles ones I have hardly any time as it is.

I don't have a recovery plan as yet, I do however have a daily habit tracker that includes such things as no alcohol, exercise, meditation etc so I'll probably lift a few things from there. I've also gone vegetarian the last 6 days. Enjoying it plus I'm finding it keeps me busy and distracts me from drinking in the afternoon as I'm not used to it, I find it a bit more involved thinking of things to cook and preparing it.

Yesterday I completed my first week and for the first time in ages last night I thought I'd have a fitful night's sleep as I was exhausted. Then my next door neighbours had the second party this week *****ing until the early hours!! Honestly took every inch of willpower I had not to crack open a bottle of wine at 1am this morning. I was so tired and angry. Ended up with my meditation music in my earphones instead.

They are lucky I'm not the passive agressive sort who would stick on a bit of Rammstein or Metallica at 7 am to get my own back (the thought did briefly cross my mind however, I'm no angel )
Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't need much to kick a plan off capricallia - you can add to it and fiddle with it as much as you like later on

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 01-02-2017, 01:35 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

I can't seem to get the first two links to download for some reason Dee? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Old 01-02-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry - they're pdf files - you'll need something like Adobe Reader to read them (free) or a viewer available free as a part of many browsers like Firefox etc.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Hmm I do have adobe on my tablet but still not working and my laptop is out of commission atm. I'll try it on my phone later. Cheers Dee
Old 01-02-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries. Worth the effort

D
Old 01-02-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Thanks dee.. good to revisit these aging and apply to my new situation!

Fortunately I still feel so ill that drinking is as far from my mind as running naked through London. ... .. and back to work tomorrow. ...... it's when a situation or urgh hits I need the tools, but am more aware now of the traps....

Was awake for hours last night worrying I wasn't I'll but dying from all the drinking.... I suppose that will ease after time and when I stop coughing at night!

Happy Monday x
Old 01-02-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Hey guys... just read this and thought it applies to overeating might it be a useful tool to distress our brains when thinking of alcohol....
https://theconversation.com/want-to-...the-body-56243

This is not intended to be medical.advice or anything... just a good read with a few ideas? ?? I'm too fat as well as drunk too much so I'll try it!

Cheers guys x
Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Day 19. Nothing much at all going on, which is great, really. We have some big stuff coming up and it's taking all of my willpower not to try to plan out weeks at a time. Today. No more.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hello gang,

Day 29 here. I keep thinking its Sunday but then realise its Monday already! Back to work tomorrow unfortunately! Had a very frustrating afternoon watching my local football team (Its never relaxing being a sports fan). Settled in now for the evening with my PJs on, some nice non-alcoholic fizzy drinks and the last of the christmas chocolate!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Hello gang,

Day 29 here. I keep thinking its Sunday but then realise its Monday already! Back to work tomorrow unfortunately! Had a very frustrating afternoon watching my local football team (Its never relaxing being a sports fan). Settled in now for the evening with my PJs on, some nice non-alcoholic fizzy drinks and the last of the christmas chocolate!
I know the Sunday or Monday feeling, same here!!! Drinking coke out of a bottle for a treat instead of annihilating myself before work.... except I Still feel like crap... might have forced one down before I guess... coke is nice though!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
I know the Sunday or Monday feeling, same here!!! Drinking coke out of a bottle for a treat instead of annihilating myself before work.... except I Still feel like crap... might have forced one down before I guess... coke is nice though!
Coke out of a glass bottle is wayyyy nicer than out of plastic or a can for some reason!