Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 12-28-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Time to start day 2. I feel a little better, things are still hazy, have the shakes, couldn't sleep much and had some terrible nightmares. Have to work today but I think I'll be ok keep to myself. Might go to an AA meeting on my way home. Hope everyone the best of luck today and stay positive. Everyday will be better, I've been through this before just this time I'm not going to give in.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone, I've just been reading ur posts they are really inspirational. It's day one for me. Koala mentioned a sponsor/mentor at AA meetings....do we get a mentor in the UK? I have my first induction meeting on the 4th. I hope I to can be strong and not drink anymore and put up some big sobriety numbers like 30 years lol. My problem is I keep forgetting I have a problem. :/
Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Sjofftherocks -- so glad you're here. There's definitely strength in numbers in sobriety!

I can't answer your questions about AA but I would think it's the same everywhere?

Have you worked out any kind of a real plan or strategy you can follow to help you stay sober?

We are all doing this together so please stick around!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hi Mesosober. Loving ur hair in the pic lol. I don't have a plan, do I need one then? I am new to the whole admitting I have a problem.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sjofftherocks View Post
Afternoon everyone, I've just been reading ur posts they are really inspirational. It's day one for me. Koala mentioned a sponsor/mentor at AA meetings....do we get a mentor in the UK? I have my first induction meeting on the 4th. I hope I to can be strong and not drink anymore and put up some big sobriety numbers like 30 years lol. My problem is I keep forgetting I have a problem. :/
You can ask someone to be your sponsor. Also, others will likely give you their phone numbers so you can contact them for support or just to check in and ask questions or chat. It's generally best to get to know people a little before asking someone to be your sponsor. After going to meetings and seeing how people interact, learning a little about their sobriety and how they apply the program to their lives, you will start to get an idea about who has what you want. They're not necessarily going to be your best pal. I chose mine because she seemed strong, had good sobriety (30 years in the program), knew when to keep her mouth shut (something I wanted / want to learn hahaha), had found serenity in sobriety, could cope with life on life's terms and didn't fall, to bits even when she had life crisis (again, something I wanted to learn), and I had the feeling that she'd see straight through my sh*t and not put up with any nonsense (I was right on that score! ) She is like a very strict aunt figure in my life I suppose. I used to have to call her a lot for advice, or to run things past her. Now I know her better, often I just imagine asking her and can envisage her eyebrows shooting up. She guided me through the steps and knows more aboyt me than anyone else in the world. I trust her implicitely.

After a few years I've got some other very close friends in the fellowship who I also call on for general stuff.

Meetings are great, but try to remember that meetings aren't The Program on their own. The steps (of Recovery) are one part of The Program. Meetings (Unity) are another important leg on the stool. And the other leg on the stool is Service, which is what the Secretary of the meeting, the person making teas, the people being sponsors, the people helping put chair out, etc are all doing. Hence the AA symbol of the triangle, with the words Unity, Recovery and Service around it.

But the first step is getting to some meetings, listening and staying sober one day at a time.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hey back sjofftherocks!

My avatar photo is of the incomparable Stephen Colbert playing Caesar Flickerman (from The Hunger Games) at the Republican National Convention. He is a nut. :-)

A plan is definitely a good thing to have -- you'll hear often here that you can't just plan on not drinking, you have to have strategies to cope with your urges and plans to actively do things (all kinds of things!) other than drink. Dee74 is always asking people about their plans with good reason -- because a plan dramatically increases your chances for success.

Here's the link Dee always provides:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

It's a lot to read through but it will give you a lot of ideas that will really, really help you.

We're here for you!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Thanks mesosber, I will have a look at that now.
SJ
Old 12-28-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Pleased to say that I'm starting Day 14, feeling pretty great. I woke up from a nightmare this morning, dreaming about making a fool out of myself while drunk in front of a variety of people from my past. I woke up slowly, fully expecting the pounding headache...except it wasn't there!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I'm just glad I found this board, as I can't really deal with face-to-face groups, but I needed support in my recovery. Christmas was tough but it was so helpful to be able to just log on here and find others in my same boat and get that support. Sober again today, and by Grace, will stay that way. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hey gang, welcome again to all the newcomers

A very uneventful day 24 for me. Technically back 'at work', but working from home as there's nothing to do. So pretty much getting paid to watch tv! I have a few recovery books that i'm yet to make a start on, so I might run myself a hot bath later on and get the ball rolling with those.

Fedup - the first few days are really tough, but its quite remarkable how quickly it gets better after that. Hang on in there for now, try and get plenty of rest/liquids/food.

RayJay - haha i've had a few of those over the past couple of weeks. its the biggest "PHEW" ever when I come to my senses and realise it was just a dream.

Greg - welcome. I'm a bit like you in that I feel much more at home here than in face to face groups. Different things work for different people. I find reading & posting here everyday is hugely helpful for me.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Hi all, and welcome to the newcomers! Just wanted to check in...partly through day 10 here. Feeling a little better about letting some of my closer people know what I am doing but have yet to tell any family that I've made this commitment to myself. I know some will be supportive, but my dad (very much an alcoholic) will eventually proclaim that enough time has passed and I can "have just one or two" likely to avoid looking at himself in the mirror.

Still battling the fatigue and appreciate those of you that shared that it is common in early sobriety. I was fully expecting to NOT be able to sleep so this just seemed a little off kilter in my mind and am thankful to read that it isn't.

Stay sober today, friends! We are doing this!!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to the Class newcomers!
Congrats to everyone in the Class for being there to support one another! Let's make it to the New Year sober together..."to infinity and beyond"!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
OX

Good Morning folks. Rough night here. Mrs.shoe wasn't feeling well yesterday and her beast thought some herb brandy would be the answer. Well she drank too much, wanted me to drink so I'd feel better (I didn't), and then felt ill and got angry. We fought until she passed out on the couch. The she awoke kept drinking and kept fighting. Not awesome.
We have been through times like these where I quit and get back to drinking just to get along. But that leads to fights as well. Obviously something up river needs fixing. I told her we needs therapy. At least! Oh well.
Not cool with putting out this dirty laundry but I don't have anybody in person to trust and I usually keep crap in too long and end up drinking. Gotta make changes.
Not going to drink today. No urge to. Only urge to run
Old 12-28-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the newcomers there is strength in numbers. This forum has helped all of us to reach out for strength and support!

Day 25 here and although it doesn't seem like much it is MILES further than I thought I would ever travel down Sober Road! I am feeling pretty darn GREAT about a life ahead unencumbered with fuzzy memories, wasted days feeling hungover and misplaced priorities!!!

Everyone mentions a PLAN! Please have a plan as it is the best bet that you will have an escape! Parts of my plan are so simple but they work! For instance, those cans of ice cold root beer in my fridge! If I start feeling like I want a beer I grab a cold root beer and I have become happy with that! There is no booze in our house so it would take more effort to get my hands on it. And I also have plenty of projects around the house to keep myself busy.

Another key part of my plan is to post here BEFORE I drink if having a weak moment. Someone will pull you back from the cliff!

Be strong! The days add up and you start feeling better physically, you start feeling HOPE and you start feeling VICTORY!

Hang in there Class!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Quitter - I also have a fridge full of ice cold Root Beer. I'm so happy i found some in the UK. It certainly helps kill off any cravings
Old 12-28-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

The D&G Fiery Ginger beer with some extra root ginger added in and crushed mint leaves is a bit tasty as well. Mm mm mm.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Oooh I love ginger beer BB. Thanks for the tip, I'll give that one a try
Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Oooh I love ginger beer BB. Thanks for the tip, I'll give that one a try
If you have an Asda near you, they stock the D&G sodas. If yiu have a sweet tooth, the grape one is pretty delicious. (Often found down the aisle with the Jamaican foods and the like).
Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
If you have an Asda near you, they stock the D&G sodas. If yiu have a sweet tooth, the grape one is pretty delicious. (Often found down the aisle with the Jamaican foods and the like).
I do, i live right near one! Oh my word, i LOVE grape soda as well. I find Asda very good for fizzy drinks, its the only place I can get Root Beer from (thats not really expensive).
Old 12-28-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Checking in.... day 1 again.... this has GOT to stop. I have got to figure out how to stop it.