Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 10-29-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 5 years InPar!

Sorry about your boss Glee - I'd like to see the shoe on the other foot...I suspect he may not have your equanimity...

D
Old 10-29-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

InPar congratulations on an amazing five years sober and all the things you have achieved because of it.

Glee I am sending you a hug that I wish I could hand ( or arm!) deliver. X
Old 10-29-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IP,
I am terribly proud for you. You are your own masterpiece.

Hey all!

Been busy. Front porch almost done and Monday they start on the larger porch/deck at the carport side entrance. They do great work.
Night all.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Congratulations on 5 years, Inpar, that's pretty amazing and brilliant from a pretty amazing and brilliant lady!

I'm so pleased life is good for you!

Have a super, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Sunday guys! (And gals, )
Old 10-30-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

keep up the good work inpar!
Old 10-30-2016, 03:10 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 years sober IP! That's huge milestone!

Glee--Hmmmm... It sounds like somebody needs to work on their leadership skills and It's not you. I've had plenty of bad days but somehow the next day - the day when I really dreaded to go to work always went much better. Sometimes just walking away for a day is necessary. I learned that a focus on the customer first is what is important and of course document everything you have done in that area like you said.

I have no regrets about retirement yet and I've been pondering how much longer I should work for a while now. This medical issue is what put me over the top as It is time to take care of myself now.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

IP - well done on 5 years

Have a Stupendous Sunday everyone.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

IP, congrats on 5 years! It's been fun watching your progress through the years

Time for my Sunday morning nature walk.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Glee your boss sounds awful, downloading on you when you could do with some back up......... um, narcissist perhaps? Sorry, I don't want to fuel anything, but my radar for those folk is really high. You are doing fantastic, I would try and see the reaction he gave as all about him.

Happy Sunday all.

Oh yeah, with regard to commenting on things in this group, sometimes I feel a bit too new, don't know people well enough and some ongoing stories pre-date me. I am reading though and commenting where I think I can.
xx
Old 10-30-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hey IP! 5 years is a truly amazing achievement! Congratulations to you!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

IP, terrific post and huge congrats on 5 years - yay!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

IP, congrats on five years and turning your life around. You certainly are an inspiration for me!

Have a great day all!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 Years InPar!
Old 10-30-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

IP - Way to go on five years and way to keep on being willing to grow!!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glee,
You need to start looking for another job with no one allowed to know and see what is out there for you. There are leaders and managers. Managers move resources around and are a necessary evil. Leaders inspire, and are the earmark seen when any great organization is analyzed.

I have observed folks with little in the way of a leadership toolbox. Since I taught that in the military it may not translate over to the civilian sector. But I saw many who had no conflict resolution skills and were afraid to confront subordinates with a problem until it was a major problem in their minor minds. They have failed so many times because they wait until they have a full head of stem and blow up with a bag of resentments. They fear any conflict so over react too late. For example the boss who ignores a minor bad or unacceptable behavior or result when it happens the first time. This sends a message to the employee that it is OK, or with a newer employee that they are performing up to standards. Instead the bad boss may not say a word until the employee has repeated the mistake or behavior three or four times and the manager seems not to understand that folks cannot read his mind. They don't believe that the newer employee thought all was well. I call that sandbagging an employee. If the "boss" had corrected the problem the first time calmly and followed up with observation and feedback until the employee was back on track then the blame all lies with the manger.

Glee, your company appears clueless. Look around and see what may be available kiddo. No one need know. Sorry about your being passed over.

Hey Zip!

FBL,
Indeed. I remember Zacherley on the New York TV and radio stations. I particularly remember him on WPIX Chiller Theater in NY if I remember correctly. 98 huh? He was apparently in good mental health too .

"“I can’t imagine how it all happened,” Mr. Zacherle told The Philadelphia Daily News in 2015. “I look back on it and say, "My God, I’m 96 years old, what the hell have I been doing all these years?"
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/29/ar...dies.html?_r=0
Good bye Zacherley, whatever you are.

Beautiful day, weather, and life today. Tomorrow they will finish the front porch and start on the side porch with the cover that overlaps our carport. Have a great week Overs!

Happy All Hallows Eve!

Old 10-30-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Confused about life? Look into the night sky:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-the-night-sky
Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Itchy, these words are so true you wrote

There are leaders and managers. Managers move resources around and are a necessary evil. Leaders inspire, and are the earmark seen when any great organization is analyzed

Unfortunately we have many many managers at work who aren't missed when they're not there. I can't think of one leader amongst them, those I have worked with.

Oh, far Togo, I don't always comment, I may be nodding in agreement to myself, sat on sofa with a coffee but often what I was thinking has been said and a nod to myself suffices! Lol.

Anyways, there was really noisy bangers and fireworks going off last night, petrified my cat Merlin, who went into stealth, crawling on his belly to a safe place.
I imagine we haven't had the last as it's Guy Fawkes night at the weekend.

Where has the year gone? It flies by nowadays. Then again, in ratio, a year isn't as long to me as it would be say when I was 10. If you get my drift!

Have a good Monday overs, keep warm.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:50 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

I count myself lucky to have worked with/for two leaders. One was a Managing Director sent to close us down but he didn't. He knew everyone's name (300 employees) and one Christmas day when some engineers were working on a rush job he turned in to see how they were getting on. He asked if there was anything they needed or he could do. Tongue in cheek they said the floor was a bit dirty. He found a broom and swept up!!

Have a Multifaceted Monday everyone.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Andy, yes - that's a leader! My very first job I was fortunate enough to have a leader. He was demanding but always fair and was a buffer between us and his boss who was not a leader. I never found another one out of the next 9. I kept that in mind when I became a boss.

Glee, I agree with Itchy's thoughts on bosses. Sometimes it seems nearly impossible to pick up and go elsewhere. Rarely is it truly impossible. Some of us rethink our careers and find an out that way. Or you may find that, on balance, it is a positive job for you if you can accept the clueless boss.

Have a marvelous Monday!
Old 10-31-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Have a Happy Halloween Monday all!