Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 11-05-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs

Give Molly a hug from me too, toots, bless her. Three of my neighbours have dogs and they all don't like fireworks, which is understandable really. My cat was sat looking through his cat flap but come running through scared, they've started.

Star, I think you're right. I would've been a mess had I been drinking when my job was made redundant. Although worrying, it was much better to deal with it sober and with a clear head!
Old 11-05-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks all for reading my diatribes on managing our workspaces. I don't get to teach it anymore.

I am so stoked about everyone doing well here in sobriety.

Dharma,
Great description of your trip. Glad it went so well. That is New York all right. You hit all the highlights. And food IS king there.

IP,
Good for you!

FBL,
Thanks,
Her hit "Wheel of Fortune" came out the same year I did.

Andy,
I'll bet you guys had some laughs. Sometimes we wonder if house framers get drunk before they hammer the first wall together.

WWS,
100 years ago we would have died from Melanomas, today for those of us lucky enough to have health care, when millions don't around the world, it is usually defeated. Glad for you.

Toots,
You know the value of living abroad for more than a couple weeks holiday. You know us as few Europeans do. Any word on your vents?

Star,
Me too!

Hey Dee!

Oxidized fastener! Hey!

Mags,
It is great that you are happy again. You are brave when you soldier on in the face of fears and doubt. And enjoy the results even more.

Hi Glee, Gil and Sassy! I enjoy y'all immensely.

Wasted today just enjoying the dry mid 70's weather. I really want to put in the new mailbox post and mailbox. My old one had been run over twice and hit with a bottle in the last 13 years here. Then the guys who built my decks hit it again warping the door. I bought the new post etc. last year and decided to wait until all construction was done. Now if I don't get it this weekend it will be a month or three before I can work a manual post hole digger again. I did change out the front doo light for a motion activated one, and replaced the dead motion sensor security light on the metal workshop gable. I need another week to wash the RV, and mulch the leaves starting to fall, then lay all the pavers we removed from the old house and lay in our walkway around to the front. I found a friend who wants all my concrete splatter an is going to come get it all. He was happy it is free and I'm happy I don't have to pay labor to remove them when I get back. Sobriety is great for the soul, and provides endless round "tuits" for life.

Have a great week end Overs!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Molly says thanks for all the hugs. It is impossible to comfort her when she is suffering. For one thing it goes against everything animal behaviourists say to make a fuss of her, for another she just walks around shaking and drooling, and can't settle. Last night we put her in her room ( yes, my dog has her own room, doesn't every dog? ), left the light on and hubby left his cell hooked into a speaker with some music. The first songs were so depressing it made me wonder if she would use the phone to call the suicide hotline after we left! We went to the council firework display which was wonderful, and reminded me of the magic I enjoyed as a child ( my inner child was filled with awe!) then we made our way through the crush to the exit and went for an Indian meal which was also wonderful. When we returned home, Molly was listening to ACDC and seemed settled, if happy to see us!

Itchy, we aren't able to arrange anyone to go look at the plumbing/sewerage until I go back over in the new year, as we had to change the locks and had no one we could leave a key with.

Sublime Sunday everyone
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I know AC/DC always puts me in a mood of gentle repose!
Old 11-06-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a Sublime Sunday everyone.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Itchy, I never cease to be amazed by how much you do. When I first joined the Overs I enjoyed your posts but thought they were really long (I was probably afraid I would be expected to write that much ). Now I eagerly read whatever you write. You've got a wonderful no-BS attitude.

Mags, my kitty hides under the blanket on my bed if someone knocks on the door! I don't know if she would survive fireworks.

Toots, Molly is a very lucky four-footed friend to have you and Mr T

Have a lovely Sunday!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

our band was house band for an open sober mic night

there was of course muic

poetry, & comedy too

the talent was good, though thre best thing

all were treated like stars by the sober crowd

last tune many got up and joined in on an old temptations tune

just like last tune on the one of the award shows
Old 11-06-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Rockin post, rz. Sounded like a really fun time!
Old 11-06-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
she just walks around shaking and drooling, and can't settle.
Toots, sounds like me before I got sober

RZ, sounds like (sober) fun was had by all!

My brother took my Mom to vote yesterday. She was kind of anxious about it, so I'm glad she got it over with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be relieved when this election is over. I get to go see the family for Turkey Day, so that will be nice.

Time for my extended Sunday morning nature walk.

Have a Super Sunday, gang!
Old 11-06-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Enjoyed an extra hour of sleep before work today!

Have a great Sunday all!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Toots, sounds like me before I got sober FBL!!

Thanks for the smile this morning, everyone!

Toots, sometimes AC/DC is just what the doctor ordered!

Mr. Dharma and boys are having a guys night- they went to a hotel with a pool for the evening. This is the first night in probably 10 years I have had the house to myself! It was a little unsettling, and truth is before I got sober I would have had a one-gal blackout party myself. Instead I went to the mall, then to an AA open talk, followed by Halloween candy for dinner. Today I have a ticket with a lady from my home group to an AA annual women's luncheon. Whodathunk???? I'm really excited about it.

HUGS to all Overs- have a great day!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Toots,
I'm glad Molly was again fine on your return. Guy Fawkes Day sounds just like our Independence Day celebrations here. We all try to either park near the entrance and get out before the crowds, or have a cover and grill going and munch down until the roads are clear again.

FBL!
I'm with Dhrama, that was funny I don't care who you are. IT is great you can take mom to vote. My FIL is past getting out for anything other than a necessary doctor appointment. He has hospice now, is DNR, and has days he is of sound mind, and others he packs a paper bag and says he is going home to his mother. My SH is a saint and is on a leave of absence from her job as needed and covers emergencies for them. We have family there now for the nights.

I'm proud of them all. I keep the home front mowed and carpentered. But we will have to hire in for vacuuming the leaves up. Can't burn now as there is a burn ban because the vegetation is like tinder.
Hope your walk went well.

Star,
You too bud!

Gil,
I don't know, they have their mellow moments!
"c033:

Hi Andy, hope yours was too.

Sassy,
Thanks! That was generous of your to say. Made my day.

Your kitty sounds like our Maggie since Skylar left her. However she has no issues with fireworks, gunshots, or thunder. (It is hunting season and there are hunters all around us. I can hunt my own backyard but my wild critters are my pets too, even the snakes) When Skylar used to cower she looked at him like he was nuts and could not figure it out. She's walked with me in thunderstorms when I was nervous to get under cover from lightning. Nary a shiver. She's also OK with the vacuum. But she hates the drills and other power tools and can be found under my desk.

Ox, (oxidized fastener)
That sounds like a really great gig! You guys do temps too? Kewl!

Dharma,
The biggest bennie of sobriety is what you did. Exercise our freedom to come and go without worrying about the liquor and law. Or killing ourselves or at best damaging our cars/trucks. You made a great weekend of it!

Tomorrow I need to tie up all loose ends and fly to Tampa. I'm staying at a waterfront luxury all suites hotel and will go grocery shopping on landing. I just go to Dollar Tree for hairspray, mouthwash and paper towels, dish soap and laundry detergent. 5 bucks and done with the don't want to fly with in the bags. If anyone is there in the next few weeks just PM me and I can see if I'm up to company. I have no idea what shape I will be in post operative. I also filled a prescription I would normally refuse. If I don't need it then I will not take them. However they get flushed not kept just in case I need them for pain.
Last thing I want is a new addiction.

Have a week that all goes your way. And don't forget to vote. We early voted last week. It is a citizen duty and honored as such by us. I got all sample ballots and the layman's explanations of Constitutional Amendments (CAs) online and printed them out for family and friends. Not just the ones that vote as I did. But it bothers me how many times I was guessing in the past at millages up for a vote and the issues behind a CA. The Internet is a great tool for the non partisan issues. I hope all of you get the person you wanted elected.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

RZ - Your night sounds like a blast!

Dharma - Nice job embracing your sober day!

My last few weeks have been busy. This weekend I had time to get some much needed cleaning accomplished. I also got in a couple of runs. I'm enjoying the 5k training app. It feels so nice to run for the inherent enjoyment of running. Back when I drank I worked out to clear my system from the drinking I'd done the night before, or to pack an extra punch for drinking. After I stopped I wanted to lose weight, or make room for junk food. I am ipmatient and wanted to be fast right away. If I had one or two off-days, or if I couldn't reach my (unrealistic) expectations, I'd catastrophize that I'd never be a good runner - and quit in frustration. Now I'm running for the inherent enjoyment of it while I'm doing it, not for the finish line.

Ugh, hockey drama abounds. My family is not a part of the situation, thankfully. There is a family who is gossiping about and attacking the head coach's personal integrity & subject matter expertise in the stands and on social media. It's similar to what happened when my husband was a head coach a few years ago.

I don't personally like the head coach. We get along fine; you'd just never see us chatting or having a meal or hanging out together. He is all ego and doesn't listen. Fact is I like the woman who's making the accusations! I am annoyed she's spreading her stress and fostering divisiveness, though.

She's accused the team's parents of betraying her and being two faced. She unfriended everyone on Facebook.

I'm sure there were people who participated in bashing the coach with her who then recited her accusations to the coach. I know what that betrayal feels like. I'm really glad to be sober and able to try to see the situation clearly. To see both sides of the story. To understand why she's hurt even though she looks like the one who's wrong. To take the time to think about how I'll approach her when we see each other. To manage myself, as Itchy pointed out.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Glee - my DD has recently taken up soccer and the parental dynamics are fun to see. Mrs Treerat and I keep our distance. The girls are there to have fun but the parents get up tight and then go out to get drunk (got thrown out of a bar two weeks ago.) Not all the parents join in but we're not sure yet who does or doesn't.

Have a magnificent Monday everyone.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Itchy, we'll be thinking of you while you are having your 100,000-mile overhaul

Glee, too bad about the hockey drama. I like your approach. Over the time I've known you I've seen many changes in your thinking.

One of the many wonderful things I'm discovering about sobriety is that I no longer feel like I'm carrying around a ball and chain.

Have a mellow Monday to all!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

I hope all goes well, Itch. I'll be praying for a quick, effective, and relatively pain-free surgery that really sets you free!

Oh, and I loved your "Turkey Psycho" cartoon!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes from me too Itch - hope you'll be back on your feet again soon bud

D
Old 11-07-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Best wishes on the doctorin', Itch. Sorry to read about your FIL. We are lucky that Mom can afford to live where she's at. She took care of everybody else for so many years, now she's getting some back. We should all be so fortunate.

Have a Magnificent Monday, overs!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Glee- way to go on the training for a 5K!

I did try to pick up running again recently but some aches and pains started up and they subsided when I laid off of it. So the 5K I did this spring may be my last one. Maybe. We'll see. Hmmm on second thought they could have been work related so now that I'm retired who knows, I may give it another shot. Sometimes old habits just die hard don't they.

Whishing you the best itchy!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs

Feeling a bit under weather today. Colds and coughs.

Itchy I could go with someone to hoover all our leaves up. They're loads of them since the windy weather s few days ago !
All the best with your op.

Have a good day overs