Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 10-25-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Inpar, I think we all go through periods, even after our first year, where it is fatiguing dealing with life sober amongst the drinking. Plus, you have so much going on in your life. Hopefully, you can chill a bit in your new digs.

Have a great day all!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Mags, yes, Bobby Vee did pass.

Good morning, all!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Yes, Bobby Vee did pass away yesterday (10/24) at the age of 73.

This is my favorite song of his:

Have a Terrific and/or Tolerable Tuesday, overs!
Old 10-25-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I like that song, too! I'm fond of oldies in general.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

^^^ likewise

and awesome news on least and the pooch!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Toots,
What an itch she is for stripping your new to you abode, scratch her! Odors from the drains can be only a bad water seal that keeps sewer gases from entering the house by use of a Ptrap. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_(plumbing) I know you likely know this, but odor from two drains may indicate a clogged roof vent by mud daubers or birds nesting or whatever builds obstructive nests in that part of the world. Or in a septic tank with flow field system, a full tank that is obstructing the outflow can cause a pressure build up of the hydrogen sulfide gas produced by decomposing human waste that smells like rotten eggs to build up and "burp" through the Ptraps in one or more parts of the house. Likely the nearest to the sewer outflow from the house as the pressure relieved there leaves the other ptraps from being pressured by gas bubbling out. Engage a good plumber and it should be straight forward. Depending on whether it is just clogged roof vents or sewer pipes or a tank that needs to be pumped out and repaired, the costs can be low to high.
It is fixable, don't worry.

Hey Sass!

FBL,
Bobby Vee dead? He was one of the ones I not only listened to, but bought many of his 45s in the 60's to play on my first system at age 12. Here is an example of my vinyl clad Lionel real stereophonic record player with two detachable speakers. I just found a picture of it online and even the colors and logo name are the same. Except this one says Westinghouse and mine said Lionel. I played Bobby Vee records and Elvis and the Beatles on it.

Bobby Vee toured until 2011 when his deficits from Alzheimer's started making him forget the lyrics and have difficulty speaking.

RZ,

Stamford rocked huh? Great!

Glee,
Did you find out about the job?

Thanks but planner I am not. I just tackle today's problem, then see what becomes obvious next. I built up my road which caused water to back up and erode it and flood the yard. So I realized I needed a culvert and installed that. Then I realized the culvert ends needed to be in concrete and that the yard needed to be bulldozed into draining correctly so I did those. Then I realized coming into winter the areas we just scraped would erode with no grass to stabilize it so I seeded it all with winter rye grass and once it starts taking hold I will follow the areas around the house with a contractor's mix of grass seed to insure the perennial grass keeps the house yard covered front and back. I have the seed but it needs to be bedded before the spring. It is expensive. Way too much to sod. See, no planning per se, but I do today, then again tomorrow, based on the new lay of the land from my yesterday work as it were.

Hi Gil, Star, FTG,

Mags,
I hope all your bulbs bloom. Mags, sounds like aside from appreciating life, sounds like your appreciation of anticipation of fruits of your labors coming to fruition is emerging. I look at my thinking like that. I will reap what I sow. And you are learning that too. That we can't reap what we don't sow. Look what you are sowing in your life along with your bulbs! All love flowers but only a gardener truly appreciates them for what they took, only to give back so much more.

Amp,
Your new brotherly camaraderie will take a bit if you decide to plant the seeds and bulbs for it now, and tend it. Don't give up on yourself, he probably hasn't either. Camaraderie does not come from a substance. You see it, now decide to cultivate yourself. I think many times we fear we have nothing to offer others save the empty facade we presented drinking. I was as pathetic as any. Now I have accepted I am not the center of the universe, nor the greatest thing since sliced bread. Once you learn to drop that hard to keep up front, letting the real person emerge takes time.

Hi Ivan!

Andy!
Good one. That was truly a crappy project!

WWS,
Yep you will be fine soon. I look like I have terrible acne because I had the doc nitrogen burn off about 20 little places that takes a few weeks to heal. Glad they caught it, no?

Star!
Funny but when it is our decision we usually find that we really liked the place more than we realized. For military, we have a hard transition going from authority to give orders and get things done by lifting a phone to dealing with civilians who need sweet talking before they do any deed.

Dharma,
I hope you have blast in NY. I haven't been back to the old home area since 1975 so can't give any current tips. Tell us about it won't you?

IP,
Glad you are getting out of that cuckoo's nest. I agree with all the previous. Just look for your new thing that you find exciting.

You said: " . . . it just seems so unfair sometimes." I agree, the drinkers never know until it is too late how good they have it before addiction sets in for some. BUt if you are feeling "deprived" of alcohol you are preparing for allowing drama to head you towards a relapse. Please go to some meetings and see about group counseling, whatever you want. When I see those folks going over the top today I don't feel like I miss anything. I am just relieved to not be a part of it at all anymore. Truly. If I was unwise enough to be a DD for another knowing they would stay late, I would not feel resentful of not drinking. I would have to bring a book or my tablet with a movie and headset once they got into the drunken slurry part. Drinking is not doing anything, just going into a darkened room and getting into risky speech and behaviors. If you feel there is nothing exciting and energy generating as a sober person I can say to take up skiing/diving/learn to fly a plane and get a license, got to school nights and become a doctor or a ditch digger. A ditch digger with an M.D. can always change his or her mind and go back to doctoring. But a ditch digger without a degree usually has no plan B to fall back on. We live today with the results of decisions we made 5-10, 20 years ago.
Before I would disable my brain with alcohol for fun, I can think of a million things I could do instead and are much more exciting. I cannot think of, or remember, a single thing I did drinking or drunk that I would hold up proudly today. But holding my sons for the first time, my first open water dive to 100 feet, the first expert slope I skied, my first time firing a machine gun that shot grenades on a linked chain, my first flight in a Piper Cub, and first as a passenger in a glider at 9000 feet over the Colorado front range. I remember going to the Cathedral in Trier Germany and seeing the house of Karl Marx, my first time in the Statue of Liberty's torch, and my first time piloting a Jaybird sailboat alone on a lake, as well as my first kiss at age 6 in a closet with an older woman, a distant 7 year old cousin who was beautiful and nine years OLD!

I just dropped in to say hi and let y'all know I am fine. IN fact I am so well that to get any better I'd have to be twins. Early on I read many who said they missed drinking because they were bored. I have never been bored in my life. There was always a book I was reading to pick up, a place to go visit, the classifieds to find my next toy, play my guitar and write songs or poetry, etc. These days I barely have time to come here. But it fills a few hours along with my website.
I realized in my first year of sobriety that many folks have no developed skills or hobbys or talent pursued or . . .

Why? Because they never learned that people are only as interesting as they are interested, and boy have I been interested all my life.

I finally realized what folks meant when they claimed boredom. Early on in my sobriety I wrote here that:

"Boredom is wanting to do something, anything, as long as you don’t have to actually do something to do it."

Have a great week folks! I am trying to get motivated to go pick up all the concrete slag and boy is there a lot of it, several garden trailers full I think. OK not a chore I look forward to so I focus on the next step in shaping the dirt so I can mow it easily and my yard will look manicured. Yesterday I signed the contract for two porches and decks to be installed here next week. The side porch cover will overlap the carport so we can stay dry going in the house in the pouring rain. Everything will come together next spring and summer when I should be recovered fully from my spinal surgeries.

Soon I will be shuffling in recovery so I really want to get out in this terrific weather and do some work with concrete results.

Have a great week Overs! And don't forget the secret Overs greeting moves:

Old 10-25-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I was posting this since yesterday and missed a few, HI all! Have a great week!
Gotta run!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I had a Lionel record player, too. My first record was 101 Dalmatians. I also had a Burl Ives record with songs about animals. Finally, I had a "Talking Teddy" bear who plugged into the speakers so it sounded like he was giving little lectures.

He taught me how to have general manners, how to not be afraid of the doctor and dentist, and how to take medicine without gagging: "I would be obliged, Mother!"

To this day I'm the most cooperative patient on earth!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, Itchy
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs, hi

Fbl, I love love love 'the night has a thousand eyes' brought tears to my eyes for some reason, and I know all the words! Wow!

I'd not heard he passed but I don't have a radio at work anymore, they play songs when they've passed.
Gilmer, Burl Ives, I remember hearing the song 'A little bitty tear let me down', lovely man.

Itchy, I had a record player similar, can't remember the make, we have an old hifi in the attic. My husband often has an idea of of bringing it down and playing our old records, they're in the attic too!

Itchy, I love the deer and kitty cat, I had a cat just that colour, I called her Ginger!
I've always had empathy for people and tried to save the world. Now, I still have empathy but realise I can't save the world and work on me now.

Planting bulbs, I'm at a loss! Hopefully I've done it right. I made some pots a few weeks ago and still got many bulbs to plant, but I've got a place for them when we've cut back a bush. In front of my living room window. I've still some tulip bulbs called, queen of night ( nearly black!), blue beauty and Caterina and some crocuses. I'm planning to make some bulb bowls with small stones on top for some Christmas gifts. Watched gardening world with Monty Don on and he showed us how to do them!

When we've emptied the greenhouse for winter , though we've got melons growing and some of the tomato plants have tomatoes, we're taking them off green and ripening them inside, we will put all my planters in to protect them, whichever don't like the cold.

Well, I've rambled on so I'll go get ready for work.

Have a good day overs.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

First killing frost happening right as I type. Brought everything in a few weeks ago that I wanted to save.

Mags, one year I celebrated the New Year with tomatoes from the summer's garden. They were definitely better than store bought tomatoes.

I caught a bat sleeping on a inside window shade the other morning using a Tupperware container, which allowed me to get it outside. It likely was living under the window air conditioner that I finally pulled out of the window. Much easier than trying to get them to fly out of an open window, which is my usual course of action.

Have a great day all!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Love the deer and cat. A farm I know were given a doe that had been in a collision with a car. They nursed it back to health and it adopted them. A year later it left them for a short while and then returned. A while later the doe gave birth and mother and foal now live at the farm.

Have a wonderfully worthwhile Wednesday everyone.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Does anyone know where Wolfie is? I know he was going to be busy a few days, but now I am missing his cheery "Good Morning"'s and "Good Night"'s
Old 10-26-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Don't know Toots. I miss his stories too.

Mags,
You've made a go of your greenhouse! The rest will grow I'm sure.

Andy,
We have does and their young cime right up to the house because we have the most mature oaks around the yards dropping acorns for them to feed on. But my pups like to chase anything in the yard so no tame wildlife here. No hunting allowed either despite my years of getting venison myself. Pets now.

Star,
I always wanted a pet bat but never pursued the safe suppliers of non-rabid ones. But wild bats inside are nothing I want either.

Amp,
Welcome.

Gil,
I suspected Lionel made more than one of them! That's a coincidence though. I posted about the cheap but very nice one I just bought a couple of months ago, and I finally bought a like new Discwasher from eBay. One of the orifinal walnut ones with the black directional cleaning fibers.

Well still have rocks to pick up and the leaves are starting to fall. So I need to start mulching them up with the small yard tractor and burn them.

Nite, 2:30 AM! Sheesh!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Soberwolf is taking a SR break. He's doing well

D
Old 10-26-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Cool and rainy here this morning.

It's been a while since I busted out the camel, so Happy Hump-Day, all!

Old 10-26-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Good morning, all!

Love the videos and such that you all post. The deer licking the cat is priceless. Amazing to watch some of the inter-species stuff :-)

Hey, Itchy!

Mags, love what you said about still having empathy but not trying to save the world anymore and "work on me now".

Happy Hump Day.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

thanks for the sobe update dee
Old 10-26-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Last might was my last day of work so I now consider myself officially retired! No big plans today- just going through my work stuff to decide what I'm going to keep and what to donate or trash.

My procedure is Friday. Thanks everybody for all of your support and well wishes!

Thanks Itchy! Now I know the secret shake around here!
Old 10-26-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Congratulations, WWS!