Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 10-28-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Hi, Overs!

I'll catch up on the thread tonight...getting ready to land in NYC and this was my first flight since I got sober! So, so happy I didn't "have" to drink ..... in the old days it was just another excuse.

Happy 2 Years, Suze!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxo
I can barely remember more than a few airport bars. It was an excuse cause I love to fly.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Glee: really sorry to hear that you missed out on the job opportunity, but you never know what that will lead to. I once lost my job and, after I got over the initial shock, I realised that it was an opportunity to take my future into my own hands. It lead me to start my own business which has now been going for 15 years and employs 20 people. I understand that that is not for everyone. Sometimes I think it's not for me. Just an example of how sometimes when one door closes, another opens.

Wws: really happy to hear that the procedure went well and that everything is looking positive!

I went to the first rehearsal with the band today. It was strange to be playing again but I enjoyed it. We were a bit rusty but it felt good... I need to work on my guitar solos though! In the past I was the kind of player who always used to part-learn solos. I'm from the Hendrix/Clapton school of thought so for my solos I'd habitually have a clear beginning and end and a few hooks and rely on inspiration to join the gaps. That didn't work so well today. I might just be rusty or I may need to stop being lazy and just finish writing the music!!!

We're not working with a producer or anything like that now (thank God!) so it was a very relaxed session. I think I was playing and, above all, listening in a more focused way than I would before. When I drank, the music was all about energy and emotion. Today I was thinking more about the overall sound of what we were doing and whether what I was playing was adding or detracting from the general effect. I was trying to keep my parts accurate and the timing tight. I noticed I was more aware of what each band member was doing than I used to be and that my concentration levels over 3 hours stayed high.

I'm not sure how I'll feel if we go ahead with the live show, but for now, enjoying a rehearsal was good. There wasn't a lot of alcohol going around. I talked to the band a few weeks ago about my choices and I think they'd decided to take it easy so as not to make me uncomfortable. Nice of them, I guess. We're meeting again next week so we'll see how we go.

Thank you all for your kindness and thoughtful comments.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad it was a good experience Amp

D
Old 10-28-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Sorry you didn't get the job glee. There will always be more opportunities if you keep going after them!!
Old 10-28-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad the first rehearsal went well Amp!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good for you Amp!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs, or middle of the night. It's 4.30 am I like the mornings best.

Pleased all went well WWS . Fingers crossed for the results.

Hope it's a good Saturday for all.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

hiya itch, toots & the gang
Old 10-29-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Glad your procedure went well, WWS. It sounds like this will all be behind you soon.

Amp, good to hear that the rehearsal went well. I expect it will take some time to figure out how to handle things and especially where you want to take things with your music. Good that you are able to explore this important area of your life and figure out how to handle it sober. You may find whole new dimensions to your music that will impact your new sober life. At the very least, it sounds like it could be an important part of your growth in sobriety.

Hi to all!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

WWS, hoping to hear good news on the test results.

Amp, glad everything went well with the rehearsal.

Dharma, hope you're enjoying your NYC experience.

Today's avi is the legendary TV horror host, Zacherle. He passed away the other day at the ripe old age of 98! Shame he didn't quite make it to Halloween.

Have a great weekend, gang!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 10-29-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs

Great videos FBL and Dee. I like the music, too.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Yesterday was difficult. I decided to take the day off to clear my head, and when I told my boss what I was doing, that it swas because I was truly disappointed after waiting for the answer for several weeks, he launched into a scathing response. He said he supported me and I didn't get it, and questioned how I could be upset at not being chosen for a leadership/management position if I wasn't able to accept senior leaderships decision and go in and lead my team. He went on and on about what a leader would do that I wasn't doing, then ended the call. It truly felt like he was kicking me while I was down.

He works from home on Fridays. It took a while for me to calm down, but I ended up going into the office at lunchtime. He never acknowledged my voice message that I chose to go in.

I don't think it's unreasonable to take a day to regroup after a personal or professional disappointment to ensure I'm positive and focused. And for the record while I was at work I used data to show my new hires the progress they were making, and I showed a tenured staff person the value of following a department procedure I completely disagree with. I am a leader.

I was floored. It was quite a lesson in what it feels like to have someone with a sharp tongue putting you down instead of offering guidance to improve your performance.

Growth: I didn't impulsively try to get him in trouble. Instead I am calculating my approach. I'm going to move forward without any obvious grudges, and I am going to simply document the conversation, and any future abberations in the way he behaves. Time will tell if it's a trend.

More growth: I'm going to write down the leadership activities I do every day. I think it will help me write my "leadership narrative" for future job interviews, here or elsewhere.

Who knows if this is what this guy really thinks of me or if he was having a bad day. He's always been pleasant but never been fully forthcoming, and as such ok to work with but never been someone who I intuitively trust. Friday wasn't a critical work day that I was going to miss. SMH.

[Maybe I can put Gilmer in my back pocket in case I need to tell him to kiss my ___! ]

Honestly, after all that stress, today is truly a better day. Im grateful I didn't drink over it, moreover I'm grateful for the recovery tools that allow me to process it and move on rather than let it stew and fester between my ears.

Thanks for listening Overs, and providing support and advice.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sending you hugs today, Glee.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sorry you had a rough day yesterday gleefan, and pleased today is much better.
Sending hugs
Old 10-29-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

It took a lot of grit to go in there after being reamed, Glee. Even though the boss did not respond to your voice message, I'm sure he approved of your going in.

TGIS!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

WWS - I'm glad the procedure went smoothly. I'm inspired by the peace and calm you are finding leading up to the scan. I find that sobriety helps me deal with difficult situations calmly and rationally, and the way you're approaching this is a shining example of that. How do you feel about retirement? My stepmother retired yesterday. She doesn't have the kind of tools that those of us in recovery have to be confident in difficult choices. She's worked hard for many years, and is well appreciated for her contributions. When the congratulatory floral arrangements started pouring in from all the folks she's worked with, she admitted she wasn't sure if she made the right decision. She's very high strung so I told her she'd be fine.

Amp - I know that playing music again was a big step for you. I so enjoy following your continuing growth. I was exited to see you take the leap to try it, but l I'm glad you waited til you were more firmly rooted in your sobriety to do so. I know for me there were certain things that triggered me in the first year or two that I'm ok with now. I'm glad I gave myself the space I needed but didn't give up entirely on it, and was willing to broach it again when my sobriety was on firmer footing.

Toots & Saskia & Gilmer - I am the same! I don't always comment because I feel that you must know what I'm thinking! Lol!

Stargazer - Same with you!

Dharma - Also my first flight sober was significant to me as well, and it made me smile to see that you had yours. I definitely shared in that victory! I hope you're enjoying your trip to NYC. Carlos and I went to some amazing meetings there, including one in Hells Kitchen that had some items that were in the very first AA clubhouse. Can't wait to do that again soon.

Suze - Way to go on 2 years!!

The thing I've found about recovery is that it helps me get outside of myself, not just at meetings or in a forum like this, but in real life. Seeking to understand others alleviates the depression and hopelessness I felt in active addiction. I'm grateful for that!

Have a great day!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hey Glee... I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset about missing a promotion. Not getting a result after months of preparation and years of hard work is tough. I think leadership is as much about knowing when to step back and take stock as it is about being hands on and calling the shots.

Being professional is also related to this and being a good professional is about know what you can do and also what you can't.

Perhaps your colleague is reading the wrong books if he is trying to keep his team motivated... Do not adjust your set. I think you are doing just fine dealing with a pretty tough pill to swallow.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 years Amp!

It's five years for me today.......I have a lot to think about and to be thankful for. We wrapped the show yesterday, which sees the successful completion for me of a second job in a position I NEVER would have been considered for, or considered myself qualified for, when I was drinking. I just could not do this job if I was drinking. I'm thankful that this work is allowing me to finally afford to get the dental work I've been needing for years, that I'm starting today. That started when I neglected my health so badly for so long.
Thankful to be meeting a good friend for breakfast, my ex who I share my dog with, who was there supporting me when I first quit. Thankful for that, for lasting relationships, another thing I never had when I was drinking.
I think what I am most grateful for after five years of being sober, is having CHOICES. I'm no longer on a trajectory of failure, rather an upward trajectory of gradual success, and building a life for myself.
It still really feels like I'm starting from scratch, a lot of the time, but I guess that's just my journey and the beautiful thing is that I really have the freedom to do what I want to do, with nothing holding me back.
Anyway have a lovely weekend Overs! I get a loooong weekend, before I start the next job on Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post, IP.

Congratulations on 5 sober years and on the triumphant conclusion of your latest project!