Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 10-27-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

2 years Suze!! So fantastic, well done, enjoy.
xx
Old 10-27-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post

Good luck- hope it goes well. I did a rehearsal and reunion of sorts after seven months sober. I hadn't played with two of the three guys both together in over 5 years. Like most bands, indulgence in alcohol was a shared ritual that went with the playing. It was different, but better than expected. I liked the sense of control. Productivity. Now, I could never perform knowing I would impair that sense of control. It's become something different altogether. Anyhow, I'm curious to know how it goes on your end.
Thanks for all the good wishes guys. I'm a bit apprehensive about playing again. Also a bit in denial that I'm actually going to do this. Got the guitar out a couple of times to dust off a few of the numbers and ended up getting distracted with something else. Not too worried about that though. I think the main thing about the session for me is the vibe. That's what will define for me whether I can or want to do this in the end...

Anyway, I'll certainly let you all know how it goes!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Amp, it sounds positive to me that you are trying this. Otherwise, you might always wonder "what if".
Old 10-27-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Overs!

I'll catch up on the thread tonight...getting ready to land in NYC and this was my first flight since I got sober! So, so happy I didn't "have" to drink ..... in the old days it was just another excuse.

Happy 2 Years, Suze!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxo
Old 10-27-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi overs

I didn't get the job. I have worked very hard this past year to earn the opportunity, and I found out today that two positions were filled by people outside the company via a group email. There's a third position that they are continuing the search to fill.

I'm not feeling upbeat or positive, or seeing any silver lining in this. I wonder if finding out via email is kind of like being dumped by text? To add insult to injury, today is my 2nd anniversary with the company.

Actually, something nice that came out of today is that I was able to lean on the people in my life. I reached out, and my couple of best friends at work took time to comfort me and boost me up. My husband did too, and brought me home chocolate. And each of my parents gave me the same advice - to keep my chin up and stay helpful and positive.

I can be very self destructive when I'm down, and burn through every bridge in my path. I'm thankful for that insight and that I have tools to hold my tongue, to stop myself from impulsively reacting destructively, to take a moment or two to develop a response. I guess that's a silver lining?

I don't want the opportunity to work through my toxic lifelong patterns. I want the opportunity to advance my career!!

Struggling a bit tonight but I'm going to work through this sober.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Gleefan sorry you didn't get the job. Unsure if it's the same where you are but we ask for feedback from our interviews, so we can see what it was the employer was looking for and pick out the positives. We are always told by email where we work and however polite the note is, it's still a bit of a sting. And perhaps the job wasn't for you, there will be new , dare I say, even more exciting opportunities that you wouldn't had chance to go for. All the best.

Congratulations on 2 years Suze, that's gone really fast. Hope you're enjoying your holiday xx

Amp, go for it! You've got all your tools by your side.

Sassy, I borrowed the words from Dee, who said once that he had he had relinquished his job as master of the universe. A light bulb went on for me and I always remember those words and act on them.

Toots sounds like you're having a blast, albeit a tad tiring, good for the soul.

All the best itchy.

Love to all my overs friends, old and new.

Have a good Friday
Old 10-27-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am so sorry to hear that you did not get the job Glee! Hearing the news via a group email is dumbfounding to say the least.

My company used to promote and fill almost entirely internally. That has shifted recently and not led to great results. Externals come in without knowing the corporate culture beforehand. They often come in over salaried compared to folks already in the company. Sometimes, they are just resume builders looking to polish up the resume before moving on.

When good, well qualified candidates like yourself are passed over, morale at a company suffers. People begin to believe that their hard work won't be noticed and they begin to care less. But not having someone involved with the interview process speak to you directly is both heartless and short sighted. Your company should cultivate your desire to move ahead, not crush it.

Congrats on holding your tongue and not burning any bridges. Hopefully, by continuing to be a team player, another opportunity for advancement will present itself at your company, or perhaps, somewhere new.

Be thankful for friends, family and sobriety. That's what is really important. The rest is gravy.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Congratulations on two years Suze

Sorry you didn't get the job Glee better luck next time.

Have a Focussed Fortifying Friday everyone.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sass, that is exactly how I think of us! And even though Gilmer & I have never F2F'd we spent a lot of time in contact when she helped me edit my first book so we feel like we know each other really well.

Aaah Glee, anothe F2F buddy. My heart goes out to you, it is frustrating knowing that you have the ability, know how experience and qualifications for a post yet get passed by. I wonder if it is political, getting in new faces? Our company has been in new hands for the last year, and there have been a lot of folk left. No one internally has been promoted, the company ( insecure area manager!) has employed new faces that he can control. ( he thinks!)
I have to believe that there is a reason for everything, and often, further down the line, I find just that. I hope in your case you do too.
I do find it hugely insulting that you weren't informed personally about not getting the post, and I would feel inclined to mention that to whoever is in charge of informing the candidates, or HR to ensure it doesn't happen again. I'm sure they wouldn't have liked it if they were in your shoes.
I am glad you found a silver lining, it shows as ever your immense personal growth in your sobriety. X

Have a Freakin Fantastic Friday!
Old 10-28-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry, Glee.

I'm glad that your friends and especially your husband really rallied round you.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sorry about the job, Glee. Hopefully something else will come your way soon.

Dharma, have fun in NYC!

Have a Fabulous Friday, overs!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

(((Glee))), so sorry about the job! One saying I like to remember in situations like this: "When one door closes, another one opens". It won't seem like that for now but the perspective of distance will eventually help. For many of us, a rejection can feel like an attack on our deepest selves. It doesn't reflect on who we are and what we are worth. You are awesome and will find what's worthy of you!

Have a lovely Monday, Overs!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Glee, you are handling things in a very mature way.

I agree it is important not to burn bridges; however, I don't think it would be out of bounds to say that those people can kiss my fat butt!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

happy tooze sooze
Old 10-28-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Re-Member

The contractors are on the way so just a quick Hi Overs! This afternoon I will have two new porches decks, both covered and matching the house design. Guess I need to stop calling it the new house as we have been in it a hair over a year now. But the work in re-landscaping and setting pavers and walkways for the new arrangement takes me a year or two every time.

So congrats Sooz, RZ et al. great way to put it about six marriages, I know the feeling.

Amp,
I got Dupuytren's contracture on my left middle finger and while I can use it my whole hand is weak because it locks or can't bend enough alternatively. No one would know it interacting every day even, but it took away my guitar which I have played and written my music and songs on for about 48 years before I could no longer play well for lack of dexterity. I don't resent it, as I had a whole life of music I did get to do. Amp, if the music is in you, you must, a talent equivalent to a moral imperative.

Glee sounds like you are relied on in a job that they have difficulty filling reliably. Perhaps a conference with your manger/s and asking for a raise or other perk to recognize your value to the company? Your boss sounds like what a thorn does to your finger.

Have a lovely day and weekend!

Old 10-28-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, I did have my procedure this morning and it went well, but the lab results will tell the truth. The doctor said what happened to me (the first bioscopy not catching the cancerous cells) is very rare and he removed enough skin that he would be very surprised if there was anymore melanoma cells. I also have a full body scan next week to se if there is any more. I'm just going to relax and do nothing today!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad the procedure went well WWS. Hopefully the lab results will come with more good news.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Re-Member

WWS,
Most curable type of big C so I hope you are confident, as you did not go years undiagnosed.

Toots,
YW Glad to help. Drains do one thing, take waste water both gray water (kitchen/shower/sinks,) and black water (Solid and liquid human waste, toilets only - well except for guys in a hurry ) and channel it to the septic system be that local or a common sewer. Please watch this 3 minute video and the last part about venting is exactly waht I am talking about but it has pics that make it much clearer than just my words: How drains and vents work in a house - Bing video

Here is what I am WAG ing (Wild Arse Guessing) your issue is: How drains and vents work in a house - Bing video
You could have a broken vent pipe or missing trap. If so find out if air admitter valves are acceptable by code in your new abode. If so for about 2 pounds sterling you can get one installed on the pipe your self or for less than replacing all the plumbing. here is a search return about it with many videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_I0sZakc0o

Hey RZ!

Star great post about holding her water.

FBL,
Mid 80s here today.

Carlos,
I am finally ready to vote. We have 7 State constitutional amendments (CA)to vote on and two tax renewals and increases on property tax. The Congress Critter, Senathore, and Presidential races we have down pat easily. I had to read all of the CAs and finally figured them all out. Thank goodness for the PAR docs: public affairs research council - Bing they have one for most states. They show the pros and cons on issues that many just guess at in the voting booth. We have our sample ballots all filled out and just take them in and copy the votes. PAR takes most of the guess work out of it.

To all my SR buddies in the US, vote! I don't care about any reasons why anyone won't. See, me and my comrades in arms did a lot of sacrificing, some gave all, so you could have the vote. It isn't a right, it is a citizen duty. I did, and do, mine. Get with your friends and pick up any that can't make it otherwise.
Doo doo your doo-ty!
Gil,
Perzactly!

Hi Andy, you too!

Dharma,
I look forward to your trip reports on the "Big Apple."

FTG, (Tips hat)

IP,
I'm sorry to hear you're ill. How are you doing otherwise?

Suze,
Grats on getting to two too!

Gnik was great seeing you.

Guys they already have one halfway finished! WooHoo! No more getting drenched while unlocking the house or my SH when she goes outside to smoke! I think we picked the right contractor. Gotta go back out and stupidvise.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Re-Member

For the new folks, SH means my Significant Harassment of 44 years. She says I am like a wart and grew on her. In our 30s when everyone else seemed to be on their second marriage we kidded about getting a divorce and remarry just to say we are on our second marriage too.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Sorry about your news Glee.
Somethings just not meant to be, or not right now? You never know maybe this happened to test you on your burning bridges thing? Progress on that will be personally amazing and it sounds like you are really onto it.
Hugs anyway as this sort of news hurts whatever the bigger picture.

I'm glad the procedure went well WW and it's good you're chilled about the scan.
Happy Friday all.
xx