Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 11-19-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Snow! There is snow here too, I saw it yesterday for the first time, the snowline creeping down the mountains. That snow won't reach us here for another month and even then probably for a few days or a week or so when everyone will forget how to drive and function and the city is in chaos in three inches of snow haha.
Life is good, I'm happy in my work although it is long hours and crazy with no breaks and tons of stress but, I think I kind of like that I have to say. It suits me better than less work, and the pay is good.
We had an incident yesterday, a full union member worked with us for one day, and he wasn't very good (he was useless) so we didn't ask him to come back, and when he found out we have two permittees on our regular crew ("our" guys, who we got special permission for from the chief steward and who are amazing workers) he was upset and texted me some thinly-veiled threats, and then he came into our office and confronted us, the situation was intense. He was obviously not mentally all there, and was huge.
Since the film industry has been so busy here lately, the union has been letting in lots of new people who have quickly gotten their days and been admitted to the union, and lots of permittees working, and it's making the old time members who have been cruising along for years collecting big paycheques for mediocre work nervous. Another daycall was asking our lead if he is a full member yesterday. I've had people on the phone asking me about that as well, if we have all members on my crew or not. It's interesting, now that it's slowing down again, the "cream" will rise to the top I think, there are so many new members who just are more able and willing to work hard.
It was a really crazy week. I'm so incredibly glad it's the weekend. I'm going to just hang around my apartment today, go out to buy shelves and a bed frame so I can get my stuff off the floor so the silverfish will eff off. There were two silverfish IN MY BED the other night. In my bed. I've been keeping it really tidy in here, and that seems to be helping, there was only one or two last night and none in my bed again thank god, that was terrible.
I'm still seeing that guy I told y'all about awhile ago, who is an ex-addict. It's nice, we don't see each other much because we work so much, it's funny cause we work on the same show but never see each other but talk on the phone about work all the time, it's like we have two different relationships.
But when we do see each other he's very sweet and no-nonsense. He doesn't BS me and he makes me breakfast, what more can I ask?
I am working hard to take it slow and give it space....we still have not told people at work. It's amazing that no one has caught on yet.

I am listening to Glenn Gould and sipping coffee, it's bliss. This is what I longed for when I was living at the last house: peace and quiet.

Dharma that's great about AA and how it's helping you. I have never gone but still think about it, five years in. I think that I would like to be a part of a community of sober people, because as you know being sober in a drinking world can be alienating.

Enjoy your mini-holiday Amp. Happy birthday to Mrs. Amp.

Itch that's a great poem, I love the rhyming, what is it? I always think I would like to try writing in that style, as I write poetry too but more free flowing. My poems rhyme only occasionally and without pattern or structure except from my brain. That format would be an interesting challenge I think!
I really like the message too.

Have a lovely weekend Overs, whatever weather you are enduring/enjoying!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Evening Overs.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Have a great time Amp!

Same thing happened here FBL. 68 degrees this afternoon, now snowy and temps dropped 40 degrees in six hours!

Glad you are enjoying some quiet moments Inpar!

Take care everyone!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs Sunday morning 4.20 am here in UK.

Interesting reading, as usual. It's great to hear how everyone is doing and what's going on in their lives.

Inpar, it's great you've your own haven to go to at the end of the day, little piece of heaven.x

We've had a flurry of snow here on Friday morning but it didn't last long. The wind is changing and we're in for a few blustery days. Thoughts of a pan of stew and dumplings.mmmmm.

Amp, I hope you and your wife had a good evening away celebrating her birthday.

How's the sea looking sassy, is it wild or tame?

Watched the new 'The Grand Tour' with the lads from 'top gear' on Friday night. Boys with very expensive toys. It was fun.

Going to have a quiet Sunday, a few household chores and maybe a Christmas film. I watched a warm hearted Christmas one yesterday and in the last few minutes of the film, my hubby, who had been on his iPad all the way through the film, without a peep, just burst out laughing, one of his uncontrollable, from the belly laughs, with gasps of no. No. No. I think it was just a tad too soppy for him! Lol

Have a good day overs
Old 11-19-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to seeing The Grand Tour with my middle son over Thanksgiving.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

1300 days for me today.

We watched a terrible film last night. It had Christians without a drop of forgiveness and recovering alcoholics who were psychotic and mentally defective. The sort of film you carry on watching because you think it will have to get better.

Have a gentle Sunday everyone.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treerat66 View Post
Good morning Overs.

1300 days for me today.

We watched a terrible film last night. It had Christians without a drop of forgiveness and recovering alcoholics who were psychotic and mentally defective. The sort of film you carry on watching because you think it will have to get better.

Have a gentle Sunday everyone.
Congratulations Treerat!! 1300 days is formidable.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on 1300 Treerat! What a wonderful milestone!

Have a great day all!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Woohoo Andy 1300 days, love that! Of course no I'm going to have to go and check how many days I have!

I hate when movies fall back on stereotypes, it's lazy and perpetuates myths. I think they would have benefited from some of IPs writers by the sounds of it!

IP when I first came here we had a limerick thread, and learning to write an entire poem in the rhythm of a limerick was hard to begin with. Then I couldn't stop! Even thought in Limerick! Haha it was immense to be able to put my thoughts and feelings down in poetry, I think that was the beginning of being able to open up.
I am one who needs to rhyme, ( the old iambic pentameter !) I have tried writing free verse, but struggle. Guess I am old school. I don't think there is a right or wrong, good or bad way of expressing yourself.
I'm glad you are not having to share your bed with the silverfish!

Amp, happy bday to mrs Amp and hope you enjoy the mini break

It has gotten really cold here too, the frost hasn't cleared for 2 days. I want to hibernate. I wish we had the Spanish house up and running then I could migrate south for the winter!

Have a Splendiferous Sunday Y'all!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Andy, congrats on 1300 days

Happy birthday to Mrs Amp.

IP, you sound good :-)

Mags, the ocean was very tame yesterday. It was absolutely gorgeous here. I sat out on the patio enjoying the sun and ocean for several hours. Only needed a sweater. Now it's rainy.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:59 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 1300 days Andy

Sassy sounds wonderful, our weather is the same can be lovely one day then miserable the next, so unpredictable. It's rainy here too.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

It got cold here too, from highs in the 80's two days ago. It is currently 33 degrees F and a freeze warning is out in central Texas.

Great post Amp! Hope you and your wife had a great stay.

Stay warm and have a great sober Sunday everyone!
Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Was going for a virtual walk. Hot today here- nearly 95ish. Still about 80 outside (think got the temp conversion- 38 = 100). So definitely no snow- been virtual recovery surfing all day - too hot for li'll ol' me to go outside. Need to be v-e-r-y careful with burns. So I am not over yet- just under 1 year. A cameo appearance if you will. I like reading stuff here- very much a perfect meeting- totally anonymous, not threatening and I always get a seat. So much I am learning about myself- particularly with learning to like myself (?) and spirituality. I'll go 'way now. PJ
Old 11-20-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Hi, Phoenix.

Amp, it sounds like a lovely weekend you've got planned for your wife. She's bound to enjoy it--and it'll be better than a sharp stick in the eye for you, too!

Congratulations, Andy.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Gilmer- just wondering how you get those 2 dogs to sit so still with that big circle of wood there- wouldn't that be threatening?
Old 11-20-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Hi, Phoenix.

Congratulations, Andy. I get really tired of the same old "Christians are hypocrites" cliche, too. People love scapegoats. In John Wayne's day they scapegoated "Indians" for entertainment; today they scapegoat Christians.

I think that plus the portrayal of alcoholics as wholly corrupt and impossible to restore is a flaw in human nature: people love scandal. IRL so-called loved ones are sometimes unwilling to allow addicts to change and grow; then they'd have no more scapegoat.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Frankly, Phoenix, I have no idea why he didn't froth at the mouth and lunge at the mirror. Maybe he tried it, got bonked, and then just sat there, puzzled.

That animal HATES other male dogs. He barks wildly and bares his teeth at dogs three times his size! A month ago he met a pit bull on a walk. It was just minding its own business when Wilbur here went into a frenzy. Finally the pit bull bit him in the face, but he still didn't back down!

My daughter immediately pulled him off and carried him back to the house--and he still stood at the front door barking for five minutes!
Old 11-20-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

congrats & happy's to everyone!

keep up the work

i dont say "good" work to stay humble! lol
Old 11-20-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Andy, congrats on 1300!

Toots, my favorite limerick is "There once was a man from Nantucket..." I can't recite the rest without blushing or getting kicked off the site

Well, it was 13 years ago today that I got my DUI. There's no way I should've been driving as I was very disoriented and blew a .28 on the breathalyzer. I'm just thankful that I didn't kill myself or anybody else that night. The end result was a lot of shame and legal problems. I was "scared straight" for a few months, but soon enough I was back at it. This is when I really started isolating as I was through driving to the bars. I found that by staying home I could drink even more as it was cheaper and the only one I could hurt was myself. Looking back, I think this was actually a slow form of suicide. It was getting to the point that I really didn't care anymore and that is a very dangerous frame of mind. The physical dependence on alcohol was finally taking its toll and on June 22, 2009, I wound up in the ER. What I thought was the worst day of my life actually turned into a blessing. I had my "moment of clarity" and I've been sober ever since that fateful day. Just wanted to share with you, because I know you know how it is.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 11-20-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Gilly- when I was a bub we had a border collie blue healer X (Max). He once jumped into my pram which took off down a hill out of control. Another time he attacked an Alsatian which grabbed him by the neck, figure of 8 throw through the air. Nearly died, massive stitches- months to heal. First day out on the walk newly healed- attacked the same dog. Lived, but.