View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Andy, congrats on 1300!

Toots, my favorite limerick is "There once was a man from Nantucket..." I can't recite the rest without blushing or getting kicked off the site

Well, it was 13 years ago today that I got my DUI. There's no way I should've been driving as I was very disoriented and blew a .28 on the breathalyzer. I'm just thankful that I didn't kill myself or anybody else that night. The end result was a lot of shame and legal problems. I was "scared straight" for a few months, but soon enough I was back at it. This is when I really started isolating as I was through driving to the bars. I found that by staying home I could drink even more as it was cheaper and the only one I could hurt was myself. Looking back, I think this was actually a slow form of suicide. It was getting to the point that I really didn't care anymore and that is a very dangerous frame of mind. The physical dependence on alcohol was finally taking its toll and on June 22, 2009, I wound up in the ER. What I thought was the worst day of my life actually turned into a blessing. I had my "moment of clarity" and I've been sober ever since that fateful day. Just wanted to share with you, because I know you know how it is.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!