Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 11-20-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story, FBL. I felt and lived the progression of this disease in your words. Congrats on that moment of clarity in the fog.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Congrats Andy!

FBL, I am so glad you found your way out of that fog!

It's a very cold and blustery day... winter coats are officially in rotation. Have a great day, Overs!
Old 11-20-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

I went outside without a coat to shake out a tablecloth. I almost died!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing FBL
Old 11-20-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Gil, Thanks!
It is nice to have friends who are firm enough in their own beliefs such that discussion is possible.

Star, Thanks

Dee,
You're in the front lines of our war and just when we think we are out of ammo, and our defense about to crumble, here you come with fresh ammo and hot coffee or tea, as if it were the most normal of things . I'm sober so all else falls into place.

Mags,
Thanks so much. I like soppy too. There is a reason to the season, different for each. BUt soppiness is required at some point, in some way, with some person. We are still working our way through Game of Thrones on BluRay disks we bought used for very little, 30 bucks or so for seasons 1-6. We are in the middle of season 4. I will watch my annual "The Wizard of Oz," "A Christmas (Red Rider BB Gun)Story." And "It's A Wonderful Life." I was curious and looked up the UK version of "A Christmas Carol, as it is my favorite. I was looking for the older British version and came upon this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...hristmas_films
One was called "A kitten for Hitler?" Sometimes a search gives me mpore than I wanted to read. Lots of good flicks there though. My son is a fan of the old show Top Gear when it was from England. I am not as enamored but do enjoy seeing what toys the boys are playing with occasionally.

Amp,
The muse comes when an issue is waved in my face painted red. I'm a Taurus, so the poetry flows. Thank you. How did your overnight Bday retreat go? "The Outrun" sounds like a good read, thanks for telling me.
WWS, thanks

Goose,
Well, how is the honey processed coffee?

YW Sassy,

Dharma,
You go girl! AA, IMHO, is a must try for all of us. It isn't for all and for some not at all. I did AA for the first three months of my more than six years now. I am so glad you tried it and it fit. For those fearful of others knowing, it becomes a non issue once you realize that any gossip has to admit to being there too. It is good for part time, some time, all the time, whatever, it is different for each.
Sorry but I do not friend on FB because I want no part of the bad parts of social media. My son and best friends in the RW are not friended by me there either. But like AA what I don't do is not for all, anymore than what I do is the right way for all either. But I will PM and share websites.

FBL,
Same here. we went from mid 80s to freezing overnight. 62° today then back to 70's tomorrow. A/C during the day and switch to heat at night.
Great post about isolating. I was always too cheap to go out drinking after 20 years of mobile DJing and being paid to party and get free beer! So I started by isolating on my property when I was getting to the point of having to drink. Thanks for that.

IP,
Great work you are doing at working. My GF has been making me breakfast for 45 years, so I married her 44 years ago. I am so glad to hear your love life is working out. You deserve some sanity. You've started to catching up!

As to what meter my poem is I don't know. I just write them in about 10-30 minutes and make almost no changes later. I've never studied writing just have done it. I have an entire body of work I will publish maybe, all different, all from age 12 on. I love the language and the luscious vocabulary found in the written word, as Flaubert called it, "Le Mot Juste" Or the perfect word to express whatever.

Andy!
Hi!
1300 is great! Congrats! I've been watching that too. Over here it was called "The Election." I had the same motive to keep watching and was as disappointed at the end.

Toots!
I used a pentameter on my old 35mm camera for exposure to the light. But theism never really appealed. I understand your need to rhyme, me too. But sitting to write intentionally isn't what I do. I used to write songs to vent, then to be funny and poignant, even to singing about the bodily tissues and fluids I collected and tested as a Medical Lab Tech in "The MLT Song." They come almost whole in a sudden. I just take dictation.

WWS,
Shreveport area here and about the same temps.

Hi PJ,
Glad to see you here on SR. Attending to the silvery literature written here in "The Overs" is indeed a plateau to aspire to achieving. (psst, we are all a buncha ex drunks)

Until you have a year you can start practicing the secret "Overs Greeting," signs and signals:

I'm sitting around with a soft back brace and ice packs in the pockets. Talking about writing and poetry reminds of a website I used to frequent called the Word Distillery with poets and writers from every style and voice. They closed the site up after giving us a few weeks to copy all we had nowhere else. We critiqued each other and learned a great deal. I miss it. We vented and flew closer to the light there. We wrote darkly and in terror as well as in happiness' retold.

The Still Is Still

The still is still, the still, still waiting,
Bubbling, snorting, spirits making,
Still the still is still just waiting,
For the words to yet distill.

Quaff and sit still, still the quaking,
As the spirits still are making,
Eyes and stomachs to be shaking,
As the poetry now spills.

Some is fiery, some is scary,
Others find the meter hairy,
Still the drinkers all are wary,
Of the words distilled tonight.

Still it may be just the stillness,
Stilled and still, as if in illness,
Making waking hours a pill-less,
Fevered time of rhyme and light.

Do I feel quite bright?
Perhaps, at last, I'm in the right . . .
Place.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just think of me as Radar, Itch
Old 11-20-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

FBL, I think a lot of us went from being "Social" drinkers to drinking home alone, for the very same reasons that you mentioned. Alcoholics are amazing at rationalizing behavior!

Congrats on so many years of sobriety after hitting your rock bottom. It is so inspiring to read stories of people being able to walk away from the brink and turn their lives around.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee,
Perfect! (Do they dub M.A.S.H. into Australian?)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Administrator

No - the closest we get is Ugly John the anesthetist from the first few series...and he was really cockney not Aussie lol

D
Old 11-20-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How about Corporal Muldoon? The Aussie MP who had an "arrangement" with Rosie of Rosie's Bar.

http://mash.wikia.com/wiki/Muldoon_(Australian_Army_MP)

Unlike Americans, in the RW, you guys don't make a lot of noise about your military, but when it is time to fight, there's none better.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Hi Phoenix!

Have a good day, keep warm!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Morning Mags.
We are gonna watch another Game of Thrones episode. I watched that new show "Grand Tour" and think I'm going to like it like their early "Top Gear" shows. You'll like it. Can't binge watch it as Amazon only released episode 1 so far.

Going to be warm here tomorrow, 21.11 Celsius/70° F.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Administrator

Same actor Itch - different 'Australian'

here's to the brave 'Diggers' 'Kiwis' and the 'Yanks'

D
Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Hi Phoenix.

Got a roofer coming today - 40mph winds predicted, stress stress stress.

Friday night DS went to a party. A young woman (19) had a seizure DS held her head to stop her hurting herself, no one else had a clue what to do. Or were too smashed.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Treerat- scary stuff. R U ok about how you felt? Hoping the young lady is ok- alcohol?
Itch - we Australians all have kangaroo farms, wear 'drover's ' hats with corks on string dangling around the perimeter along with out of date safari shirts and army style shorts that are just a little bit to high and tight. The biggest stress for us is whether to wear steel capped 'tradie' boots or thongs to that next wedding. Have to look your best when establishing a rapport with a hooch bar in a war zone.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Phoenix,
Update - The roofer cancelled. phew.
No information on the young woman. It put a damper on the weekend it was billed as a two day gathering
Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks all, for the kind words. I'm pretty sure I would be dead or dying by now if I hadn't changed my ways. I'm not a big believer in miracles, but I certainly got one that day.

Dee, does this mean you also sleep with a teddy bear?!?

Itch, I'm currently halfway through Season 6 of Game Of Thrones. I also just started Season 2 of Better Call Saul. Both shows are very different, yet just as good, IMO.

A very short week at work (just 2 days), then it's off to Minnesota to visit Mom and the rest of the fam for Turkey Day.

Have a Marvelous Monday, overs!
Old 11-21-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Do they dub M.A.S.H. into Australian?
Old 11-21-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Bunch of prolific writers :-)

FBL, thanks for sharing that. I knew that if I drove and seriously injured or killed someone I would never be able to live with myself. So I would get my alcohol for the evening and drink solo at home. I had to learn not to answer the phone because friends would pick up on my slurred speech. So happy that's now in the past. I went to about 3-4 AA meetings a week for the first 6 months. Helped much! Then I moved here, tried one meeting, it didn't click and I quit looking as I was deep into getting adjusted here. I'll go back if I ever need to.

Andy, glad to hear the roofer cancelled.

Hi PJ - you'll be an Over very soon.

Ah, M.A.S.H. - one of my all-time faves. Even at my ripe old age, I've watched Game of Thrones (first season so far) and thought it was good.

We had a dusting of snow last night. I wondered why the roofs were suddenly white

Have a marvelous Monday!
Old 11-21-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

I am looking forward being over being an under. Because under it all, overall I understand my days of drinking are over.