Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 10-22-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

LSC,
It is great to have your own car and your own space too! And losing weight is something most of us would like to do as well as you at. You seem to be getting your world just right for you. Sobriety is good for you.

Andy,
You are one of the good guys, love your posts. I try. The trip is not covered by insurance, just the procedures, because I can get what my insurance considers adequate back butchery locally. We have been saving for this period of corporeal transmogrification to remove my excuses for not exercising, and restore my vision to 20-20. Then I will be able to clearly see that I am just too lazy to work out. I have assembled an art collection in the interim, athletic sculptures I call them. They are called workout equipment when used and not just looked at.

RZ,
When Dylan wrote that "Everybody must get stoned," I don't think he meant it that way.

Good luck on the gig on Stamford tonight. Make sure you swing by the "Fish Church" for a look see sometime, if you've not seen it yet. At least click here. The church was a few blocks from where I lived up on Strawberry hill as a teen.

First Presbyterian Church | Fish Church "Fly Over"

The tower outside is a full bell carrillion that can be "played." The church and the Stamford Museum and nature center are two of the places I used for contemplation, and mediation.

Hi Sassy!

I will FBL, Thanks for the heads up!

Star,
you too.

Hey Gil,
It was not about saving money. I have been getting into the recovery instructions and have a feeling I am going to actually use the 'script for pain pills. Thus driving is out. I might hurt me, never mind the car or others! I was looking to avoid driving and thought I would really lose on it until I booked and found they have a special rate for Laser Spine patients. Saved most of the cost of the rental for 14 days.

Y'all have a great weekend overs!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here's the finished culvert caps. Left side facing main road:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PA220012 (Small) (Mobile).JPG (76.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-22-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Right Side:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PA220011 (Small) (Mobile).JPG (81.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-22-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yes I have to come back to pick up all the loose dry concrete waste. A good example of doing now what can't be done for a few months after next month. I am also hoping all the leaves fall so I can mulch them in. I don't trust my wife with my zero turn and the push mowers are a bit small but she may just have to do it with them. At least near the gravel drive.

Yep, we are officially in the fall two weeks of decent weather with no cold and humid or triple digits and humid. We have another two weeks in spring. The rest of the year here is miserable for folks who like dry snow and winter sports as well as dry moderate summers like in Colorado.

We will see if we still want to move after the surgery. My improvements and new house make it extremely desirable, not to mention a standing first refusal and promise to buy from my next door neighbor. That would give him a ten acre family property instead of the five we both own now.

So either way a win-win.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've just realised it's the 23rd which means it's 4 years and 2 months of sobriety and hard graft. How did that happen? I came on here just now wondering why I'm not very good at life, forgetting the complete startling transformation that has taken place in me as a person and In the life I'm leading. The details take patience I suppose. There's always a chance when we're sober. Not if we're not. Thanks to Dee and sober recovery and lsc (August 2012) and rusty zipper and itchy and Saskia and tootsl who I think I wrote a poem with (?) and everyone I've not met before or missed out. You're amazing.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Apple,
Congrats on getting sober and maintaining it for these past 4 years and two months, which IS getting better at life. Remember life doesn't get any better, we do.

We all get unhappy still. Sad things will happen to all of us. Exceptional things too. Take it at your own pace, and remember, just being sober used to be a dream we despaired of ever achieving.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Apple, congratulations on 4 years and 2 months, brilliant achievement!

Great saying Andy, I've copied it to put on my fridge.

Pleased all ok Rusty, except the darn stones!

Have a good day Overs x
Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congrats Apple, as to the poem, if you used to go on the Limerick thread it is highly likely, I spent a lot of time there in my early Undie days. It helped me rediscover my love of writing and set me on the road to my first book.
I can't even find the thread now to look back!

All is much as expected at the new house - even though we had an agreement stipulating that fixtures and fittings remained as seen she stripped the house of the fitted air con, all the light fittings even stripped out the electric oven and hob from the fitted kitchen. Just left a mouldy sofa she should have removed and a rusty washing machine that was obviously too heavy to bother with. But we have already made a start on clearing some stuff. The only real concern is the rank smell coming from the drain in the patio and the up through the upstairs shower drain. We have no idea where it's coming from or how to overcome it. It seems worse when the water has flowed.
No time to look into it this visit, as we return to the UK tonight, but it is a priority in my return in the new year.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to hear from you applecrumble - congratulations!
D
Old 10-23-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry the seller gutted the house in spite of the agreement. Can you pursue the matter, since the agreement was in the contract?
Old 10-23-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats, Apple!

Toots, sorry you are having aggravations with the new house. I know you'll get it shipshape in no time.

Hi Itchy

Have a lovely Sunday to all
Old 10-23-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Apple! I'm reminded of the saying "progress, not perfection".

Time for my extended Sunday morning nature walk...the wildlife awaits!

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 years and two months Apple!

Toots - Sorry they did that you but is there any legal recourse there? Nothing like all new fixtures and appliances paid for by the seller.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wow Apple that's amazing! Hope to post something as good in a few years.
I have less time but significant for life to feel different, I was just pondering today how peaceful most days seem and I'm scratching my head about that. Crazy I know, but clearly I've not felt peace or never long enough to get used to or enjoy it.
Happy Sunday all.
xx
Old 10-23-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh but I am grateful for it.
xx
Old 10-23-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

that just aint right toots!

and love the "stones" humor!
Old 10-23-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi overs,

Amp - Congrsts on 18 months of sobriety. I've enjoyed reading about your transformation over the last year and a half. I hope you found a great way to mark your milestone.

Apple - Congrsts on your ongoing sobriety, as well!

Toots - Your post reminded me of the first time I saw the Mediterranean sparkle in the sun. I hope the contractual issues aren't too much of a headache.

Saskia - I hope you enjoyed your visit with your family, and had a comfortable trip home.

FTG - Interesting observation that the peace that was so elusive in active addiction takes some adjusting to. As silly as it sounds, for me, I would have expected any peace I experienced to be fleeting, if not for others in recovery telling me that peace was a side effect if living well! I'm glad I have wise guides because turmoil had been a self fulfilling prophesy much of my life.

RZ - I think "wait and see" is pretty good news. I hope the stones didn't upstage your band at the show this weekend. Lol.

Itchy - You are the consummate planner! Glad you got some nicer digs for recovery from surgery.

Carlos - Sounds like some nice golfing. What struck me is how your experience golfing in recovery is one of gratitude for the time spent with friends and joy for the game.

Dharma - I hope you're enjoying your time in NYC. There are so many world class attractions to do and see, but also I enjoy just being there - grabbing a coffee or bite to eat in the midst of the people who live and work there. Have fun!

WWS - Good luck with the removal of those stitches. I hope your next phase of treatment goes well. When's the last scheduled day of work? My stepmother is retiring at the end of this month. As much as she's been looking forward to this moment, she definitely has cold feet. I'm glad you are excited and grateful to reach this milestone!!

On the other end of the employment spectrum, I had a 2nd interview Friday for the promotion. It was sprung on me at the last minute. I didn't have much time to prepare but like Stargazer said, at least I didn't have time to get nervous. I think it went well. I did my best, and Im at peace with that, as opposed to filling my head analyzing what mistakes I may or may not have made - or, worse, drinking over it. I'm on edge waiting for the decision, but I'm not completely a mess over the wait. Not perfect zen over here but recovery has definitely provided me the tools to quiet the committee that likes to take over in my head!!

Fbl, Gilmer, Drake, Mags, Dee, I hope all is well. Have a peaceful, sober Sunday, everyone!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Apple!

I really hope you get the promotion, Glee. When will you know?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Andy - I meant to say that the poem you shared has become my reality in recovery. I think that coming to peace with myself, my shortcomings, and my mistakes has given me the tools to be patient and kind with others. I even have a tattoo on my wrist that reminds me that it's my responsibility act with infinite peace and love.

Gil - I'm supposed to find out if I got the job sometime this week. I hope I do! The new role is managing people, which calls for a great deal of patience, kindness, fairness and, in a sense, love.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs

Gleefan, hope it's good news on the job front!

I've been planting bulbs in the village earlier, with other people, today. Around the centre of the village and about.

I've got some bulbs to make some arrangements. One for my mother in law, step mum and friend for Christmas maybe. I've never had this awareness before, of planting bulbs to see them in spring. It's very uplifting. Though I've always loved seeing the tulips and daffodils in spring.

I seem to be getting an appreciation of life. And it's good.

Take care overs.