Notices

One Year & Over Part 43

Old 11-12-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Silver lining - thank our lucky stars that we live in democracies that allow us to vote. Even if 'we' didn't get the result we would like, someone did.

Have a satisfying Saturday everyone.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Administrator

on that note Andy, I realise a lot of folks just hit their fave threads, so as the topic comes up, I'm directing peoples attention to the SR rules on political content.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-politics.html

D
Old 11-12-2016, 02:33 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

?
Old 11-12-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Thanks everyone for your support. I am very thankful that I'm catching this stuff early.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I thought it was clear.

There's been no problems in this thread or with your post Andy but you mentioned politics - it was an in for me to mention the rules, that's all.

D
Old 11-12-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

WWS, glad they caught it early. Also, congrats on 14 months today!

Have a great weekend, gang!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. Reminders are always helpful.

WWS, that must have been a shock. Thankfully non-melanoma skin cancer is very different from melanoma. Please keep getting those check ups! This is one of those cases where regular monitoring makes a huge difference. You are handling this so well.

Mags, clouds either have silver linings or else by their very nature they do move on!

Thinking of you, Itchy

Hi to all!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

I am glad for you, too, WWS. You know Sass is right about the huge difference in seriousness between basal cell carcinoma and melanoma!

Stitches are itchy, though!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Hello to all of you

Today is my 3 year mark. My wife and I and our two dear friends are just finishing our Asian cruise. Had a great time celebrating our 35th anniversary. Finally found some decent free wifi here in Singapore. Two more days here and then home by Monday night after a 25 hour flying ordeal.
The cruise had a Friends of Bill W. arranged each night. I have never been to a meeting. However I sure wanted to go on this cruise. Nobody ever showed up.
I guess I was the only recovering drunk on the ship
I have to say it was a struggle the last three weeks. From Hong Kong to Vietnam to Thailand everyone was enjoying their cocktails. I am so freakin sick of club soda
I never got to point of having that one. But JC the thought crossed my mind
Will this ever go away?
Back to reality at home next week.
Just wanted to vent and share my story. It never gets easier
Best to all
Will check in again soon
Rick
Old 11-12-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Great to see you, Rick! I've been thinking of our November 13 class: time to break out the Perrier (oh, wait--you're probably sick of it. )!

I would imagine that a cruise ship is the hardest place on earth to abstain from alcohol; flowing liquor is their claim to fame!

Glad it was a good time.

You'll probably feel much more sane back home, though.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats WWS on 14 months. Great to see how you are dealing with adversity in a sober manner.

Hello and congrats on three years Rick!

Have a great day all!
Old 11-12-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Rick! As long as drinking is only an occasional fleeting thought, I can live with it.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Great to see you DG, I've been reading your travel blogs.

Rick I feel for you, I think seeing others drinking and enjoying it every day, when normally we don't really see too much of it, can really get to us. I find holidays can be tough,ma cruise I would imagine especially so. Well done on sticking with the club soda.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey guys,
OK, first thanks for all the well wishes, they worked!

The short version: I am better than fine, pain free, not crippled, in fact have to rein myself in. It is like the initial sobriety pink cloud of happiness and energy. For the full story read on.

I was prescribed Percocet 5mg and after I saw what was in it I was determined not to use it. I filled the script but was willing to endure a lot of pain. I don't need any pain meds!!!

I have not taken a one, and the weird red seal they put on the bottle is still in place.

I got ready for the two days before I flew here to Tampa on the 8th to settle into my suite for my last pre-op tests on Wednesday the 9th, for the cervical surgery on the 10th. My buddy from another forum, who I have known online for 16 years but never met, lives 60 miles from here, and he drove in to stay with me as my care partner for the surgery. The care partner is usually the spousal unit, but mine needs to take care of her dad. I am quite capable of operating on my own, but spinal surgery can go wrong in the best of places and facilities and docs.

I met my doc and he was impressive. 40ish, fit Hungarian who emigrated here and lives the American dream as a very respected neurosurgeon, and one of the most thorough. He walks fast and is super high energy, obviously works out and is so professional but friendly. He is interested in his patients and really has a conversation about mutual interests. (He skies and scuba dives too)

If anyone needs spinal surgery, I will pass along my experience. But do not expect the same results as it is different for each person. I expected great things and if they were half as good as I'd hoped it would be good enough. They exceeded my highest hopes!

I walked away from the wheelchair they made me ride downstairs to the shuttle back to the hotel. No pain save what you would have after a deep cut was treated, stitched and you were comfortable again. Not no pain, but no more than a cut you forget about until you stress it without thinking. Yes if I twist around while carrying my 5 pound case with my tablets and chargers I could hurt it. But I walk fast as was normal before my back problems, my original pain appears to be gone as is the numbness I had in the upper back and arms. They said many get the same results but not all. I saw one guy that looked like he was in severe pain with the same surgery the day before I had mine.

I thought I was nuts having both lumbar and cervical surgery at the same time. I do not need hardware in either place, just the nerve routes lasered out and the spurs, if any, removed that press them. He said based on my body's response to the first usually more painful surgery, that with no promises, I should do as well or better with the lumbar roto rootering of my nerves pathways. While my cervical problems were causing less debilitation than the lumbar issues, he said that it was worse than I thought but could live with. But he told me my lumbar was a mess and needed it immediately so he was glad I scheduled both and so am I. I should be pain and numbness free after it next week on Tuesday the 15th.

My problem will be reeling myself in and not forgetting I have deep wounds healing even though I cannot feel pain unless I overdo it. The prognosis is I can take off my soft neck brace in a couple of weeks and be able to lift reasonable weights in four to six weeks. And ride my lawnmowers for the leaf fall in about three weeks after the lumbar surgery.

No I do not want to see what the high from a single Percocet is like as I got high on drugs when a teen in the 60s and alcohol after I was in the military and no drugs. I already know what high is like. It is like living with no care, which include love, achievement, and really being alive.

Drinking was like that even though I did not get tipsy just sipped about two beers an hour when I last retired as a beverage starting at noon, and sipping until bedtime at midnight, just like Saturdays because every day is Saturday for me. Then it was three an hour for the gentle buzz, and the shakes in the morning started, physical addiction!!!!! About a year and a half later I checked into the VA for a 7 day in hospital detox and never looked back. Even quit a three ;ack a habit smoking habit at the same time. Why waste a perfectly good detox on only one of the three substances I was addicted to? I have never looked back on smoking either. Until someone finds a really bad health negative to coffee, 2 12 cup pots a day, I am sticking with my beloved caffeine. It is healthy according to most research on it save for those with weak hearts.

So I am fine, the surgery was a success to put it mildly, and I look forward to the next one and the pain relief it will bring. I am finding bending down now to type for more than a few minutes is making my neck feel like I have a crick in it. Mild but I do need to keep it straight for a few weeks. I straightened up and the crick feeling stopped. An example of being mindful of my physical recovery limitations to make it the least recovery time and not be patient with myself until I reach each stage for the next few weeks, and then just take it easy while I work for about six months which is the release point where I can stand whatever my pre surgery, pre disability body could.

Welcome DG and the other drop ins.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Next stop is lumbar surgery next Tuesday, then a flight home on Thursday the 17th.

Instead of hobbling through an uncertain recovery in pain, I now see the light at the end of the tunnel, and in this case it is an exciting fast tunnel!

Life is good.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here is a pic of the relatively tiny incision site taken the night of the surgery. My buddy is taking it and I am pain free so able to hold my own neck brace open for the pic.

It is medical super glued shut and I can shower and ignore it. No stitches or staples to remove later. I just can't soak for two weeks or get in hot tubs. I never take baths just showers. We added a custom giant shower in our new house master bathroom. We did put a tub in the guest bathroom just in case we need a soak medically. So no imposition on me there either. No dressings or goopy stuff either. They just ask that I don't scratch or pick at it. The nurse that prepped me for surgery did a nice job of blocking the back of my haircut too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cervical incision(Mobile).jpg (90.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 11-12-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

THAT'S TERRIFIC!

Thanks for letting us know, Itch!
Old 11-12-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

So happy to hear the news, Itchy! Medicine at it's best is awesome :-)
Old 11-12-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here is the view from my second floor balcony. Recovery is tough - NOT! But somebody's got to do it.

I am going to the Zoo and the Florida Aquarium tomorrow and Monday as I am between surgeries and sitting in the room is not my idea of fun. They also have free poles and lures and a pier with no fishing license required. I might try that and hope for a small fish for a change.
Attached Images
Old 11-12-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Gil and Sassy!

Tomorrow I am going fishing and for the first time in my life am hoping for small fish! The resort I am staying in has their own pier, supplies complimentary poles, lures, and buckets, and no license required. I am in Tampa and Carlos already told me about some nice places to visit, so I may go there, or to the Zoo, or the Florida aquarium tomorrow and Monday. Beats sitting in my suite. I have a fully equipped kitchen so can clean and cook and eat my catch.

The weather is beautiful, and the on site restaurant and has the best blackened fish sandwich I've ever had. As good as any in New Orleans.

Yeah spinal surgery recovery is tough - NOT!

Sorry about the upside down pic, when I change it it gets too big to post. Stand on your heads please.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Looks right side up to me--and great!