Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by finallygotout View Post
Morning everyone,

*I've always been interested in the spiritual,(mind) side of life.
*I don't identify with any religion.

Neverthought,,, That was a great post, I am with you I'm really not sure how many days I have sober, Mondays always remind me its another week, gotta love Mondays. Your name "Neverthought" made me smile this morning, You seem to be a thinker.

Its a beautiful fall day here, I'm off to work.. Thank you A-Team
* = I have the same mindset!

Darn, you picked up that. I'm lazy so I have to be something.

Yeah, I'll be a thinker! I'm also defensive and overly positive. I feel bad for my wife sometimes.....just sometimes.

Our 8 year (9 in a month) old is the same way, already though!... poor kid. Except, he has real skills!

He has the vocabulary and verbal communication of 12 year old. His peers listen to him and look at him with their head tilted like "a dog, when hearing an odd sound". I saw that happen this morning again, when I dropped him off at school. Seriously though, I'm worried about it. That kind of rejection or avoidance could destroy a young kids confidence.

We're trying to get him into a program with like-minds (I hate the term gifted). He has no interest in sports at this point. He's the opposite of me when I was his age. It was all sports, sports, sports from my dad. I didn't actually like participating in sports either. I guess because I wasn't that good...I was a late bloomer!

Whew.....Large coffee = Large ramble, sorry!

Hey, have a great day A-team.

Piece out Gang!

I think I read a possible hint or I think too much. I don't want to come off like a hippy, so, I use "Piece out" to keep my identity. It means to "gradually bring things together". A little play on words for SR - .
Old 09-23-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Checking in on Kgirl.........How are you doing?
Old 09-23-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

@Bexxed - it s nice to reach the 40's! You ve been doing great, being away and around alcohol all the time, I m sure that ll simplify things when you are back home.

@neverthought - it is awesome to look forward indeed, once you convince yourself there s no more alcohol in the picture the count seems to mean less (in an awesome way). I also have a clever cookie here, he s 4 but talks like an 8yr old, it a fun to watch!

Good call on Kgirl, I would be nice to also hear from CajunPrincess and SSG, hope you are all ok.

P
Old 09-23-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

And FGO, I am very much in the same page as you, very spiritual person but can't associate with religion. To be honest even Buddhism as a way of worshiping the Buddha I find strange. My take on it is that is is very much an internal peace trip.

Glad you are doing well!

P
Old 09-23-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Hey - can you guys that meditate explain what you do exactly? I've never done it and am curious.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
Checking in on Kgirl.........How are you doing?
Hi all, I'm still around I've had a rough week but I'm still sober. I'll check in more later, just wanted to pop in and let you all know I'm ok!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hi Julia,

I used to do it a lot a few years ago, it is very hard to explain, I am not really sure if the place where I get to is the same that other people do, but I basically try and relax each bit of my body, focus on my breathing and little by little I kind of leave my body and stop thinking, I kind of feel like I am a point in space.

Back then I learned how to get myself to to it, now I am still using the YouTube guided meditations, think a few more weeks I ll have a go at doing it solo again.

Have you never tried it?

P
Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Julia8 - I simply sit still and comfortably, and focus on the sensation of the breath at the tip of my nose.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post

Good call on Kgirl, I would be nice to also hear from CajunPrincess and SSG, hope you are all ok.

P
Speaking of that, you know, I often fall back to this idea since becoming a member, but never presented it. I think there should or could be a buddy-system. Or a systematic approach, perhaps, when a class-member falls out out of sight, members reach out. I use the term systematic, because we travel for business and vacations and members would have to let the class know ahead of time. The same way you did Mr. P.

It might be too complicated, but I think it would a long-way. On the other-hand, there's nothing stopping it other that maybe a sense of obligation.

My hands aren't that full!

Just a thought from Neverthought!
Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hi Julia. I took a class on Mindful Meditation early this year and enjoyed it. What got me to take the class was someone told me to look up Jon Kabat Zinn on you You Tube. I watched a lot of his videos and when I heard about the class I decided to take it. You might want to check out some of the videos as an introduction... one I really liked is when he did a seminar at Google.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Good idea Neverthought. I do think about where people are and whether they are struggling and need help, would be good to have some sort of system. What do you have in your (never)thoughtful mind?

Another productive day here, Fridays used to be my main drinking nights, there was actually even a point when I only drank on Fridays (illusion of control...). Part of me misses that, the good times with drinking, but I am a lot happier with the sort of good times I am having now.

Night everyone, have a nice sober Friday night!

Mr P
Old 09-23-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great sober weekend guys
D
Old 09-23-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Hi all, I'm still around I've had a rough week but I'm still sober. I'll check in more later, just wanted to pop in and let you all know I'm ok!
That's good to hear KG, the sober part. Sorry, for the rough week.

We're all ears when you want to release.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have a great sober weekend guys
D
Thanks Dee, you too!
Old 09-23-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

MrP, Caramel, Quincy - thank you for the insight! I've read a little online about it. What do you all feel like it does for you? Relaxation? No, MrP - have never done it. I guess I kinda thought you would "meditate" on certain kinds of inspirational things, or mantra kind of things?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

I think you can Julia, people do it for different reasons. The relaxation during meditation feels awesome, but I like the feeling afterwards more, feels like I got a "brain massage".

About to start my daily session, just before bed!

Have a good evening and let us know how it goes if you try it out.

P
Old 09-23-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Julia8 - "What do you all feel like it does for you? " -
I'm not even sure if I have the right words to describe how it feels for me:
*thinks* - it feels like a very private time, just me and myself, calming, restful, peaceful, relaxing. My gift to myself.
Well worth doing, even for just a few minutes at a time.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Thank you, MrP and Caramel.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I guess you don't get the Thanks button when you post by phone. Too bad. There are quite a few I'd like to acknowledge.

Have a nice clean weekend, everyone.

💕
Old 09-23-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hello A-Team

Many times this week I have had fleeting thoughts of drinking. I've been no where near acting upon it but am definitely aware it's happening. I still wake up each morning grateful to be sober. I love what I am accomplishing at work, I'm getting caught up on things around the house, the list goes on. I love being sober. But deep down I wish I could enjoy a couple drinks on a Friday night without it turning into more, leading to a hangover, then all the horrible emotions that come with that, then the repeat cycle that occurs until I come to the realization (Again) that I cannot have just a couple drinks.
I think once you resign to that fact, staying sober gets a little easier. I'm not sure how long it is before those thoughts go away but for now it's mostly just a nagging feeling. Having a drink now is more than just choosing to have a drink. Having a drink now is a conscious decision to mess up my life.

So, not sure if you have heard on the news about the flooding in Iowa? The city I live in is just south of some major flooding happening now and we are expected to flood on Sunday. We experienced major flooding just eight short years ago and here we are again. My family/home will not be directly impacted but when we flooded eight years ago our rental property flooded. We no longer have the property and for that I am grateful. Tomorrow my husband and I are sandbagging to help support our community. He is actually out tonight helping a friend that owns a business get everything out of the building.

As for me I need to get a good night sleep because I am testing for my first Taekwondo belt promotion tomorrow! Yikes! lol

I hope everyone has a nice and sober weekend