Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 09-19-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Good Morning A-Team,

One month ago today I was hung over, filled with regret and ashamed of my behavior from my binge the day before. I was looking for a way out of the cycle and found you here.

Reading your personal experiences that reflected mine showed I was not alone in this struggle. I've gained insight from those that are walking the path of sobriety and learned to develop a plan that will help me continue recovery.

One month of sobriety is just a start but my focus is on the future and enjoying a life with my family that doesn't include drinking myself into oblivion.

I sincerely thank you for welcoming me here without judgement when I was lost.

I hope you all enjoy a good sober week!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FCB45 View Post
Good Morning A-Team,

One month ago today I was hung over, filled with regret and ashamed of my behavior from my binge the day before. I was looking for a way out of the cycle and found you here.

Reading your personal experiences that reflected mine showed I was not alone in this struggle. I've gained insight from those that are walking the path of sobriety and learned to develop a plan that will help me continue recovery.

One month of sobriety is just a start but my focus is on the future and enjoying a life with my family that doesn't include drinking myself into oblivion.

I sincerely thank you for welcoming me here without judgement when I was lost.

I hope you all enjoy a good sober week!
Congrats on one month, FCB!! Glad you are here...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
Made it to a month. Thanks, everybody, for reading my posts.
And congrats to you, Treebeard!! One month is fantastic!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Woke up to a sunny day today. All the rain has left everything so green and clean. Going to the pool in a little while. (Yes, it's still warm enough here for swimming. Lots of pools stay open until October or later...). Have to start getting ready for a trip home this weekend. I mentioned a while back that my high school choir director passed away--his memorial service is this weekend and I'm going to sing in an alumni choir. Should be beautiful, emotional, and fun at the same time. He was such a fun guy. I know he would want us to laugh and enjoy each other. I haven't been home in five years so really looking forward to that. Plan to hook up with my old AA buddies too so I'm not tempted to drink.

Got to go get busy. The pool and sunshine await!!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Good-day mates...

First, I want to thank this class and especially for those heart-felt messages the past few days. The posts were heart-wrenching, but more importantly it took immense strength to reach deep down inside to lay it all out there. That's how you either, start the healing process or revisit were you last left it. I say "revisit" because I feel that self-medication is a subconscious method that leads to heavy consumption. After that process starts, we usually leave things unsettled.

Unfortunately, we all have to deal with the hand that is dealt. And very often hindsight is 20/20. We put ourselves in harms-way without every knowing the consequences, until sometimes it's too late, and we're left looking back with regret.

Life is surely a learning experience and that goes for everyone. No one is exempt from making mistakes. That doesn't change the aftermath, but I believe it allows for healing if you put it into perspective.

Sometime my wife gets annoyed at me and calls me naïve because regardless of the subject, I usually put a positive twist on things and that annoys the heck out of her. My dad is the same way, I guess I just inherited it.

There's nothing wrong with trying to find good in something, even if it's slightly tangible.

Thanks for being here gang, you're all an inspiration.

Piece-out for today!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Fabulous message neverthought and I think having a positive take on life is an admirable quality. When drinking negativity and misery rule the roost and I've been there way too much in the past, you can share your rays of positivity with me anytime. Elle😉
Old 09-19-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
Fabulous message neverthought and I think having a positive take on life is an admirable quality. When drinking negativity and misery rule the roost and I've been there way too much in the past, you can share your rays of positivity with me anytime. Elle��
Thank you.

Oh, but there is a prerequisite to support the positive mindset, and that is not drinking.

So, I too have had my demise! It's only been of lately with the clouds lifting!
Old 09-19-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I wish we could reply to posts. Or at least "like" them. I hate replying three pages later when the whole conversation has turned.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Treebeard, you can reply to a thread you like by going back and highlighting it if that helps😄
Old 09-19-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Bon Jovi... )))) That's all )) https://youtu.be/hCeIIcPAwv8
Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
Hi all,

I just posted a whole long thing and it didn't work...ugh!!!!

Anyway, I don't have time now but I'm sober today.

Enjoy the day everyone xoxo
Lovehoops, I have done that many times - very frustrating.
What I have started doing is typing in an email and then copy and paste into the SR post.

It's helped me quite a bit!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Me too.......I think!

I don't know if this is the same scenario, but sometimes my posts take too long because I think too much when I'm typing out my thoughts and SR times-out. After I hit submit, the log-in page comes up.

If you simply put your user name and password in, right then, SR takes you right back to your post to submit.

Or similar to jocs, I do a "ctrl+a" select all and then "ctrl+c" to copy before I hit submit as a precaution! If SR has timed-out, you have the aforementioned option or you can just log back in and do "ctrl+v" and paste your message back in.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Near where you log in, there should be a remember me box - I've ticked that and never been logged out.

The left and right arrows in the post toolbar (undo and redo) will often get a post back
Old 09-19-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hi A-Team, I second what a lot of people already have said, some of the things you guys had to deal with are heavy, which makes where you are with your recovery now truly amazing.

I think with a bit more sober time this will eventually make you even stronger people. Reading your posts already inspired me.

I have now reached 40 days sober and somehow I have been thinking very little about drinking (and not drinking). I am slowly stopping to see this as a recovery, the worries that situations or people can lead me to drink are pretty much gone and instead my focus is completely towards the future.

My days are lasting about 18-19 hours, filled with things that all help me become the person I want to be. When I wrote my recovery plan I have listed my goals for the short and long term future, and the idea is pretty simple: every single day I need to get one step closer to achieving at least one of my goals, and steps backwards are no longer allowed. Sobriety is not the endgame, it is the fuel behind all this, it makes it possible.

I remember that in very early recovery days I wanted to reach this state of mind: focus, positivity, patience, energy, and it's all there! What a difference 40 days make.

Don't get me wrong, I am not downplaying the focus on not drinking and I am sure there ll be some tricky moments soon, AV will talk again at some point, but he ll find a SV (sober voice?) that is a badass motherf****r!

Night everyone, time for a shower, some meditation, then 5 hours sleep and start it all again!

Will write a more decent post tomorrow, focus on replying to as many of you as I can, promise I've been reading your posts and smiling a lot as a result!

Mr P
Old 09-19-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hey there, A-team. Thinking about heading to bed soon. Still having trouble getting to sleep at night so I kinda dread getting in the bed. I can fall asleep in no time on the couch with the tv on but my bf doesn't like that so much. Still hoping that will get better soon. Maybe need to get a tv for the bedroom... Anyway--grateful to be sober another day and grateful for all of you. Maybe I'll be back in a little bit or maybe I'll see you in the morning.

Love and hugs to all!!
Eli
Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Popping in to say goodnight

Also, Wednesday is my last day of intensive outpatient... thank GOD.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:05 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

42 days/6 weeks for me today
Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

That's fantastic news Cajun, your last day tomorrow and you'll have made it through the first part of your journey, so pleased for you. Imagine all of the wonderful things about to come your way, living a happy and sober life!!��
Tuesday today, forging on, having my friend staying and my daughter home makes a massive difference, less time to slip in to poor me mode, more time to get on with living and eyes forward. Don't get me wrong, there is still a massive massive mound of pain inside but I try to just not let it overwhelm me. I am so grateful to you guys for holding me through all of this, you have all helped me to get through this last week sober, you have literally saved my life!
Big hugs from a very grateful elle❤️
Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
42 days/6 weeks for me today
Super job Caramel! Congratulations!

I managed 5 weeks yesterday.....right behind you!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Has anyone read Pema Chodron's book, "When Things Fall Apart"? I'm reading it now, and I think it's a good recovery book because it addresses the idea of learning to just be with your feelings rather than reactively acting on them right away. Many of us use alcohol as a way to escape from feelings of anxiety and the like that we don't want to experience. It's a book by a Buddhist but she's very down to earth and is from the west, so she's easy for North Americans to relate to.