Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Thanks MrPL! I am enjoying it actually! Just about to go to bed myself.

I love this group! Go the A Team!!
Old 09-21-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post

@cwood - awesome stuff, it's great to see your life getting back on track little by little. Sorry, I ve been away for a while so not sure you sent any updates, but how are things going with going back to your house?

P
Mr P, seems like things are coming around. I had dinner with my SO last week. She invited me over (still hard to figure getting invited over to my house) Saturday, but I was working at Dick's Sporting Goods. I went to the house today and did some straightening in the garage and visited the cats while she was at work. I'm not pushing, she's not pushing, but I feel like it's moving forward...and that's a good thing. I have faith that life is going to get a lot better and I look forward to it.

Hey, thanks for asking....
Old 09-21-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Just popping in to say goodnight. I should be asleep by now but I'm too excited about my trip tomorrow. I'll be on the road most of the day so won't have much time to post. Glad to see so many of us coming back from difficult struggles. We can get through anything together!! Catch y'all on the flip side!!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
fgo

Enjoy the drive elicia....
Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Augustians. Still here still fighting the good fight just about lol. Glad to see you're all coping well, if not we need to know about it as it's the only way we can help. Am trying to work out how many of us are still here might have to go on main computer and shuffle through old threads, impossible on I phone.
Acceptance..... I have finally after many months of pain, anguish and disbelief accepted that my ex really has moved on and really is in love with his new wife, that little sliver of hope has gone now so I can put a stop to all the movies my mind has been playing about him and now start to focus on what really matters, me and my sobriety. Me getting and staying well, me living a life free of regrets and resentments, me discovering and being the person I was meant to be, happy joyous and FREE!!!
Keep up the good work A team! Elle❤️
Old 09-22-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Good morning to all,

Busy day ahead but I had a few minutes to catch up...

SSG...glad you are here and sticking with us...I'm proud of you and we are here for you xo

Elle...you sound good and at peace with where you are..acceptance is the key to peace and serenity.

Cwoood....I'm glad you are feeling well. Hope the job situation will work out for you!

Elicia......safe travels xo

Have a great sober day everyone...I have not been posting much but have been reading what's going on..thank you for helping to keep me sober..SR rocks!!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Good Morning A Team!

Just popped in to say good morning and say I am so happy and proud of everyone who is overcoming the struggles and challenges being faced. You know, these are some of the same things sober people face every day and it just means meeting them headon without checking out with drugs or alcohol or some other addiction. It takes a brave person to deal with life on lifes terms and today, each and everyone is doing just that! Go us! Soon this will all just become second nature for us but in the meantime, just hang in there and keep doing what your ( and Im) doing!

The weather has been so beautiful here and Ive been taking this opportunity to do some things around the house and yard I havent done in years! ( Literally)
Ive always taken great pride ( at least before my alcoholism took a steep downward spiral) in my home, yard and etc. In my active illness, I would sit around and look at and think about the many things I needed to do but never did them ( inertia!). So this week Ive been weeding and pruning and plucking and cleaning and sweeping and yada yada yada! I feel so good about that!
Got appointments made for dental ( teeth in terrible shape from alcohol and lack of care) and vision. Amazing how we just neglect so many areas of our lives when we are in the grips of this illness!

Thanking all forces of good in the world for my continued sobriety and for yours too!!

Have a great day all!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
fgo

Morning everyone,
Glad to see all of the posts going in the right direction. I'm sure im not alone in seeing that it is not smooth highway ,but its nice to know we are on the right road.
The further I get into sobriety, the more I can relate to the words of buddha.
We cling to dukkha, at least I know I do, work in progress.
Have a great day A-team.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Afternoon guys, just popping in to say hello and this is the most positive Day 2 I'm having ever. Not sure why, maybe cos something has stuck this time. I'll check in later when I'm back from work. Just wanted to say that I'm still loitering round here and loving reading how you're all getting on.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Fgo - same here mate. I think it's the simplicity of it. I don't mean staying sober, but the simplicity of realising how much control it s possible to have over your mind if you convince yourself that s possible. Have you been meditating? I am doing it every night, links well with that too!

P
Old 09-22-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by finallygotout View Post
Morning everyone,
Glad to see all of the posts going in the right direction. I'm sure im not alone in seeing that it is not smooth highway ,but its nice to know we are on the right road.
The further I get into sobriety, the more I can relate to the words of buddha.
We cling to dukkha, at least I know I do, work in progress.
Have a great day A-team.
Hey Augustables......

FGO, glad you're doing well. I didn't get a chance to reply to your response the other day, but I'm glad you replied and I did read your response.

It's ok too! Everyone gets into a funk....everyone! That doesn't just apply to SR members or those recovering.

I believe it's a natural reaction though, to persuade one-self into believing that under our circumstances it related.

I reinforce to myself that it isn't related, it's life!

....losing track of the days, and that's great thing!

Piece-out gang!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Afternoon guys, just popping in to say hello and this is the most positive Day 2 I'm having ever. Not sure why, maybe cos something has stuck this time. I'll check in later when I'm back from work. Just wanted to say that I'm still loitering round here and loving reading how you're all getting on.
Glad you're back SSG and with positivity that is unequalled!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I've read this on SR a hundreds times and I feel like I finally understand this reality much better.

My translation......

If one comes to SR or any other support system, we come for a reason. The conscious or subconscious question is asked over and over. What am I? Why? Where do I stand emotionally and with substance abuse?

I wish I picked up on it sooner than I did, but on a positive note, I have done way more healing since joining in 2011 than on the destructive side. And when I say "I wish I picked up on it sooner", two things come to mind! (1) Evidently, I wasn't fully committed and (2) Apparently, I couldn't come the conclusion that I cannot have it both ways.

How much time can you spend second guessing yourself?

- Eh, the heck with it, I'm going to have fun.
- I'm still healthy, I'll know when enough is enough.
+ I can't continue to live like this any more, this is destructive.
+ I could be saving more money and spending quality family time.
- I have a good job, it's cool! I can still party
+ Life is short and I can be doing so much more than this.
- I'm hurting (for any reason) and I need this.
+ I spent my first 30 years not drinking, I can get my life back.
- Everyone else is doing it!

It can go on and on and on! There is nothing remotely good about this mindset both mentally and physically.

If you're asking these question or similar questions, or questions more relatable to your life, well, the writing is on the wall!

((((Commit to sobriety))))...it all ends there))) Now you can focus on real problems "if they transpire" and "you're blessed you if they don't"!

Bless and Piece-out Class!...Keep fighting!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Loving that post neverthought! The positives and negatives are so true, sooner or later the scales tip and you know the only route is to commit to sobriety. It doesn't even feel that scary. I suppose the scariness is when doubt creeps in. I believe that utter honesty is the way to forewarn yourself when the doubt creeps in, and then with that knowledge you have to do the work. Just rounding off day 2 for me. It's been really OK especially having the A Team backing me. Peace everyone. Stay strong, if you can't stay strong then just post. We've all got your backs here.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hey A-Team,

Love the post Neverthought. I was thinking about something similar today. I now see myself as an "in between" person: on one side there future me, that s the ideal me, sober, productive, happy, calm, taking pleasure in everything I do and no stress at all; on the other side there s old me, likes to get drunk and high, has had some rough times but also good ones and that side of my head probably thinks it's be OK to have one or two drinks now. They both talk to me, and that's not new, I had it in previous sober attempts, the difference now is that when old me starts speaking I shut him up by instantly doing or committing to doing something new me would do. That coupled with the SR sentence that most stuck to my head, "even if my ass falls off I won't drink", makes sobriety obvious (don't remember who wrote it but thought it was awesome).

SSG - glad to read your positive thoughts! Don't take this the wrong way, but I was quite surprised (NOT disappointed, just surprised) when you slipped because I can't see why you would trade this positivity for what alcohol brings to you. That s why I said a couple of times that I think it must have been some split second decision that caused you to pick up the first drink, classic AV. I associate to that because I have done it a lot of times, but one of the things that is making it a lot easier to avoid it now is to put it in my head that this positivity depends on sobriety, and reminding myself of that when AV talks. I think this could help you if and when your AV starts bugging you, maybe write down your positive thoughts and carry them with you? Sorry, really don't mean to kill your buzz now and please remain proud of every sober day you achieve, I am proud of you, but I sense you are keen on trying different things this time to ensure you are ready when you next face a challenge, so thought it could be a good time to write it.

All good over here, very busy day again, think I finished my backing vocals today, meaning album should be very close to completely finished by end of next week! First major sobriety achievement, pretty addictive feeling (but I don't mind this addiction at all!)

Now time for the usual pre sleep meditation!

Stay strong everyone and get ready for another sober weekend!

Mr P
Old 09-22-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Day 34

It's funny how deceptively easy it can seem.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone! I'm doing good - mentally, physically - been sleeping good and getting a lot done. Feeling content. Happy Friday - we can do this! (((A-team)))
Old 09-23-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Hi guys just checking, lots of great threads on here that I really want to respond to but will do later as need to get back in the garden whilst the weathers good. That's England for you lol. Will check in later. Hugs to all Elle ❤️
Old 09-23-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
fgo

Morning everyone,
I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought was, wow I'm sober. What a great way to start the day. It kind of relates to some of our recent posts.
MrP,,, I have been meditating, I started reading about buddha a couple years ago. It was kinda hard to grasp since I usually read when I was drunk. I've always been interested in the spiritual,(mind) side of life. In school I studied philosophy, psychology. I've read the bible cover to cover & many other religions. I don't identify with any religion. It's kind of like getting sober, absorb as much information as you can & use what keeps you sober. I do prefer to live in love, not fear.
Neverthought,,, That was a great post, I am with you I'm really not sure how many days I have sober, Mondays always remind me its another week, gotta love Mondays. Your name "Neverthought" made me smile this morning, You seem to be a thinker.
Julia,,, So glad to read things are going good, its so nice to get things done.
Elle,,, How are you today?
SSG,,, Glad to see your positive post. Sounds like the mental switch happened, Watch your thoughts. you can do this.
Treebeard,,, It is deceptively simple. We will always have to keep our shield up though,(thanks Zanna?) Also, I think you were the one asking about responding to posts? There is a thank you button to let people know you read the post. All of your posts are important to me, and I read them all. Just can't always respond.
Ooona,,, Thank you for the post on newcomers.. The ladder analogy was great.
Lovehoops,,,Glad to see your doing well, busy is good.

Its a beautiful fall day here, I'm off to work.. Thank you A-Team
Old 09-23-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, glad to see you all. I hit six weeks yesterday! Have found out that I'm staying here working out of state longer than initially thought. Will go home for the weekend next weekend and return for awhile.

I'm grateful and part of me is a little surprised that I've done this without booze. Being away is fine but there is so much casual booze with it. I'm working a lot so not getting the kind of sleep I should which makes me appreciate sobriety a little less, honestly, because I feel gross being so out of whack. Have been taking a lot of little reminders, mostly by coming here and reading when I can grab a second, to remember how valuable it is. I'm not fantasizing about drinking, not entertaining ideas that it wouldn't be a bad idea, just have a lower level of gratitude because I'm so tired. Serenity prayer helps. Going home next weekend for the weekend will help, too.

I'm so much better when I'm sleeping enough. Somehow I can't sleep when I've worked right up to the time I should go to sleep. I feel like I need to have a couple of hours awake to just not be doing something work related, before I can go to sleep. Then I end up not sleeping enough. That little bit of time used to be spent drinking. Now I use it to read, organize things, etc. I'm glad to be sober, at the very least I am less tired than I would be otherwise.

Tomorrow I have more free time to check out this city and go to a yoga class.

43 days. This is a monument!