Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 09-25-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Small headway today. My coworkers, the ones who want to drink every single night, (not falling down drunk drinking, just, a few drinks with dinner drinking) had me over their hotel suite for dinner tonight. They had seltzer in the fridge for me! And just automatically gave it to me! Then they invited me over to watch the debate tomorrow night. (In the US we have this, um, election happening soon. The two remaining major party candidates are debating tomorrow night on TV. I promise I will not editorialize here even though I really, really, really want to.)

I thought they were joking about playing a debate watch drinking game. They weren't. I told them I'd come watch the debate with them but would pass on the booze, and they looked confused. "Oh, we won't be playing a debate drinking game with actual booze. Do you know how drunk you'd get? No, we were going to drink, you know, drinks. Just beverages."

As if I needed more reminding that I'm an alcoholic. I could not have had someone over for dinner and not drank everything in the house after they left. But when I left they were both getting ready for bed with opened bottles of wine being put away and glasses in the dishwasher. That would have stressed me out so much, wanting the company to leave so I could finish the job. And, I would have drank a lot, and made sure I had more waiting back in my room to drink until I passed out.

I don't think these people would have liked me a few months ago.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Wow, I had to catch up on A LOT of pages, but I did it. Love reading everyone's updates. Still sober... day 43 for me. Really crazy to think about.
Just been busy with work lately. By the time I get home from work at night, I'm usually too exhausted to read or anything.
Finished my IOP last week... still seeing my therapist once a week. When I have stressful nights at work, instead of automatically saying to myself "Can't wait to get home to have a beer (or ten!)", I find myself saying "Can't wait to get home to take a hot epsom salt bath..." or "Im DEFINITELY doing yoga when i get home" ... It's nice to not have alcohol be the first thing on my mind when I experience a negative emotion.

Two nights ago after I got home from work, I noticed one of my cats was acting strange. I called the 24/7 emergency pet clinic and told them the symptoms, and they said I needed to bring him in right away because it could be serious. So I gathered up my cat and took off. On our way to the vet, I couldn't help but just being SO SO grateful for my sobriety. If I had still been drinking, I probably would not have been able to take my kitty to the vet that night, and I probably would have been annoyed if I'd been about to pop open a can. But that's not what happened... (long story short, he is fine)

Anyways... good to be here. Sobriety is great... just trying to keep my guard up as the days add up and it appears to get "easier".

And Zanna, hang in there. We are here for you. Please talk to us when you're ready.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I have been here, sober no doing okay. Still having computer problems so my posts are scattered.
Anyway , I had a busy and somewhat upsetting weekend.
My nephew got into a car accident and left the scene...he was drunk and doesn't remember so that has been difficult . He did eventually call the police and they are investigating etc. very rough
One of my closest friends has asked her husband to leave because of his drinking. Her brother is currently battling cancer and she just can't deal. I spent some time with her.
Then I found out a friends nephew died of a heroin overdose .
All terrible things as a result of this terrible disease.

I hugged my husband and kids and was thankful for our health and safety and I thanked God for being sober today.

I am grateful for all of you and SR ...thank you xoxo

As someone said (I'm so far behind on reading posts) life's problems do not go away.

Zanna..we are here for you.

I'm glad everyone is here and sober...have a great Monday
Old 09-26-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just posted in the wrong year group - I'm so daft at times.
Thanks for all your support recently, I'm back up and running now and really appreciate all your messages- thank you!!
4 months today, since I quit smoking, so now it's time to get this booze thing sorted once and for all, as well x
PS I wondered why I didn't recognise any names when I posted before. August 2014
Old 09-26-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Good morning everybody!

Weather changing here in the Northeast. I love fall weather, jeans and sweatshirts, my fuzzy jammies, the changes in the leaves. Im amazed at all of the things I missed when I was drinking, all of the miracles of change happening around me that I was just totally oblivious of. I was either drunk, hungover, planning my next drink....I give gratitude daily to the Great Spirit for my recovery!

Ive also been busy getting house projects done, things I didnt have the energy to do ( or interest in doing) when I was drinking. Washing windows, outside work, cooking and baking wonderful yummy dishes ( my husband is loving this!). Got my 60 day medallion from my sponsor , starting to work on Step 2 and 3 as well. Life is really good for me guys.

Ive kept up on everybodys posts. Great to see so much progress, what an inspiration! For those who have slipped Im so happy you are back and ready to take back what is yours, your sobriety!! Thats Awesome! Dont let anyone or anything take this away from you!

Have a fantastic Monday and week this week! Im off to start on cleaning and painting the dungeon ( my basement lol!)
Old 09-26-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  
fgo

Morning all,
Zanna,,, It is good to see you back. Congrats on your 4 months of not smoking. I chew, and that is next on my list.
I'm starting a new week of sobriety, not really sure what it is, think 6. Sharing it with neverthought &?. Just glad to be sober.
MrP, I think there is a way to alert pm's using the site. I thought about your email concerning a FB thing. Coming here this morning made me realize this is the place we need to be. I've been seeing your posts around SR, and you are such a great asset for eveyone. That goes for everyone here, just the experience we have gotten and can share both positive & negative can help 1 person get over the daily hump its worth it. That being said, I have no problem being there for 1 on 1 talks. I was even thinking if we still have the cabin next year how great would it be to celebrate by gettin together? I m an overthinker.
Have a great day everyone... Todd
Old 09-26-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by finallygotout View Post
Morning all,

I'm starting a new week of sobriety, not really sure what it is, think 6. Sharing it with neverthought &?. Just glad to be sober.

I was even thinking if we still have the cabin next year how great would it be to celebrate by gettin together? I m an overthinker.
Have a great day everyone... Todd
6 weeks it is bro......Congrats!

That would be a wild plan FGO.......Let's over-think it!

Where's the cabin?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

All right! I m in too, at some point I am sure this will happen naturally! The longer we stay together the closer we ll get!

Not trying to go on about the Facebook thing, but what I meant was to use only their messenger app. That means no wall, no groups, no list of friends, just the capacity to send messages that would pop up on our phones (including some lines of the actual message). Not sure if anybody would find this helpful, I personally would be more on the end of chasing those who are away (I am not going anywhere!), and once again there may well be a way to get the SR app to do the same thing. Anyway, these are just thoughts, I'm 100% happy with SR as it is.

P
Old 09-26-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

So, who here has done hot yoga before?

I went yesterday and it kicked my butt.

It also made me feel amazing.

I'm bringing it up because of the talk about meditation. I'm one of those people who can't meditate the way people say to, but I'm pretty sure the effect is the same when I'm doing other things, and I'm pretty sure this yoga did it for me.

I wish I could go every day but the class schedule doesn't jive with my work schedule. :/

Pretty sure it detoxed me, and I have had zero craving for junk food in the last 24 hours.

You all are lucky I can't go again, I'd be prothletizing about it every day lol.

Anyway I'm off to work, and to watch the debate with coworkers afterward; hope everyone has a great sober day/night!

In Gratitude

B
Old 09-26-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Oh PS it's 46 days for me today. Thank you, so much, for being you, and helping me get here. <3
Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

@bexxed - I 100% agree with you that there s other things that achieve the same result as meditation. Music does that for me, and I do both so can guarantee you are right!

Glad you are finding your peace!

P
Old 09-26-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

That would be soooo wild to meet each other! Im already so very curious as to what everyone looks like.

Good to hear from you, Zanna!
Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Julia8 View Post
That would be soooo wild to meet each other! Im already so very curious as to what everyone looks like.

Good to hear from you, Zanna!
Thanks Julia Thanks again to everyone - I've got a splitting headache from being online all day, so going to go get some sleep (just gone 10pm here). See you all in the morning, if not before.
Hugs to all x x x
Old 09-26-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Night A-team!

Ooona - loving the peace and good vibes. Autumn is also my favourite season (apart from the 10 million leaves I need to deal with in my garden).

Zanna, glad rings are getting back in place, you know you got this and we got your back!

Julia - I still have images for each of you in my head. If my drawing skills were any better than stick mans I'd have a go at doing some!

Another great day here, feeling healthy, every aspect of life moving forward, starting to feel the serenity I read in some older SR posts.

Hope everyone had a good start of the week.

Mr P
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Day 38

When I feel the need to drink (or react in any way, really) I find myself turning to confront that feeling, but it disappears before I get a good look at it. It fades into something formless and mild.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

MrP - you should draw us! Haha! It would be interesting to see what we all picture vs reality - how close we'd be!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  
fgo

Evening everyone,
Bexxed, you could tell in your post how good hot yoga made you feel. Keep it up.
Neverthought, we have a cabin in Breckinridge Colorado. It is up for sale if your interested? I'm thinking it will be around for awhile. It would be fun to have a get together up there that didn't include alcohol. I was up there a couple weekends ago &. It was tough with all the bottles & beer. The first thing I used to do is start drinking when we got there. Glad those days are over.
Just watched the presidential debate..... Wow, glad I don't talk politics.
Have a great night everyone. Thanks for being here.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Fgo- Breckinridge!!! Wow! I ended up there once by chance and ended up staying the night. Was such a beautiful, magical place and as was the time i had there. Absolutely loved it and didnt even ski. Im in for a cabin trip!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
fgo

Forgot,
I do have an image of you guys, I know I'm probably not even close. It really doesn't matter. What does matter to me is I know you've all got great hearts & are trying to do the best for you , your family and even people you don't know.
Night all.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  
fgo

Julia, you are invited.