Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 25

Old 12-28-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
orangutan

Sorry PBC , prayers for a good outcome.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

How scary and sad, PBC. I hope he gets the help he needs, poor guy. Nothing scarier for a mother.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
orangutan

Happy new year everyone.

Love to all.
Aussie.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Happy New Year Everyone !
Babs
Old 12-30-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy New Years to you guys too

D
Old 12-31-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Happy New Year to all, especially Aussie, Dee and Phoenix as it's already January 1st there! Wahooo!!! Happy 2017!

Weird that it's 2017..that date has seemed so far off as it's my son's high school graduation year. It always sounded so far in the future!

Been moody the last couple of days. I've done more reading here at SR which helps, I think. Perspective. I don't have a boozy family, but the holidays are so boozy in general. And it's weird, I guess D's side of the family doesn't know I don't drink. We got Bailey's and a 4 pack of cider and beer. I hate to say anything in the moment cuz I don't want it to be a thing and I don't want to embarrass them and have them feel bad for a "bad" gift, but I'm getting tired of getting booze for gifts. They never knew I drank too much, so it's just a token gift to them like chocolates or something. It's been a couple years in a row where I just smile and say thank you. I don't know..it just takes me off center a little. I don't like when booze is too prevalent and I feel like it has been a bit over the holidays. Thank goodness not a lot of people around me drink, it would drive me crazy. I've become more "anti" drinking I guess. Anyway..I'm moody. lol

Heading up north for a quiet NYE with my guys. Not sure if the ice is frozen up there, but if it is, I'm hoping for a bit of ice fishing and x-country skiing. It's been a little warm down here, just patchy snow now.

Hope my aussies are all tucked in for the night. Did you make it till midnight? Happy New Year to my American friends. Hope to see more of you in the new year. ~cough cough Lofty, Dave cough cough~

Old 01-01-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
orangutan

((( Mirage))) that sucks getting booze for Christmas . I hope you have a nice time up North .
2017 doesn't sound right dose it , I remember 2000 like it just happened.
It's been crappy here as you all know I hate this time of year for a few reason , tourists , the heat , over working , but this year my brother landed himself in hospital , he is an alcoholic (all day every day drinker)and had a fall in the shower , minor injuries but completely sh*t faced hardly able to talk , they kept him in until he sobered up enough to be let out but it has put the wind right up him , he see's his own Doc. tomorrow about where to start to get dried out and stay that way. Talked to him just now he is having the "horrors" as he called it . We have all been so worried about him , my Mother told him we are worried he will end up like my dear friend Lee and I think that also bought it home. He has a partner but she doesn't live with him but is there for now taking care of him. Prayers please.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

I'm praying for your brother, Aussie! Maybe this was his "bottom"? They say it takes what it takes for us to garner up the courage to set that bottle down. I'm so glad he was given the help he needs and he has a chance!

Mirage, maybe sometime in the next year you could let it slip that you don't drink anymore? If they hear it before shopping, maybe you could avoid that gift? Speaking of being with people drinking, oh my goodness you should have seen the hundreds of drunk people at the NYE party in Chicago! Remember all the crappy stuff about drinking? We saw it all. One guy couldn't even stand up when the party started because he was already completely gone. Lots of women acting like tramps with anyone who'd pay attention to them. Wardrobe malfunctions (yes, we saw several private parts). Crying women. Fighting men. Lots of stumbling and slurring. It was fun to get all dressed up and sparkly and do something we'd never done before, but I don't feel a need to ever do that again. The band was amazing, so that was good, and my hubby was sweet and loving and fun and wonderful. And I never once felt a desire to drink anything. I messaged my sponsor this morning and told her that "no sobriety (of mine at least) was harmed in the celebrating of this NYE".

If anything, it's more solid than before now.

But then, I have always known that if I were to slip, chances are it wouldn't be at a thing like that. It would probably be a response to some sort of extreme self-pity after being hurt in some way ... so that's what I need to be aware of and diligent about.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Oh! And one guy had to be wheeled out in a wheelchair because he was completely unconscious. I forgot to mention that one.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
orangutan

PBC , I don't even get past 8.30 pm at New Years eve and I hat all that drunkenness. I hate seeing my brother like that daily too.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Oh no, I'm so sorry, Aussie. I hope he can find the strength to get sober. Let us know how he's doing.

Yes, PBC, I know I need to do that. I just don't see them very often, so it never comes up. But yes, it needs to happen. I might have D do it. lol Kind of a "hey..just so you know..." type thing. The thing is, HE doesn't even want it. He really barely drinks around me unless we're at a party or something. He really has no desire to sit at home and drink anything if I'm not. He re-gifted some of it already.

I've done NYE in Chicago a number of times in my 20s. Fun then, but I wouldn't like it now. I have no desire to be around that kind of drunkenness. No patience for it, bah humbug!

We're home from up north early cuz we smelled gas. We had the gas company guy out and he said there was a leak in our propane heater and to have a guy out on New Years Day would have been REALLY expensive, so we just packed up and came home. Bummer for sure. So we had a power outage on Christmas Eve and a gas leak on New Years. lol At least we made it till midnight and toasted the kids with sparkling cider, then went to bed.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

My bro was like that AB, prayers.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Had a good and productive day! Grocery shopping, watched a big football game, took down the Christmas tree and helped my kiddo go through his closet and room and clean and organize. Whew!

Have a great day, all!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
orangutan

Just spoke to my brother he is pretty sick but on day 3 , he seems determined to stop this time but it is early days , he still hasn't managed to see his doctor because he is waiting for a cancellation before he can get in so he is toughing it out , most of his mates are drunks as well so I hope he can steer clear of them , he is staying in bed at the moment though , yesterday he threw up all day. I am going to print out some stuff for him to read , I don't think he would do AA he is an atheist. He doesn't have or know how to use a computer so can't direct him here.

Phoenix you said your brother was like that ,is he sober now ?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Is he alone, Aussie? I hope he feels better soon. Does he have any sort of plan of attack for the future, like rehab, counseling, etc? You might look for Smart meetings in the area? Not sure how common those are. Or maybe ask a rehab place what they recommend? Wishing only the best for him.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really hope your brother will find his way Aussie.

A lot of blokes won't do things like AA or SMART and thats ok so long as they stop drinking

D
Old 01-05-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can relate to not wanting a program where you meet up with people. I'm just not a "the more the merrier" type person. But I had SR. I really think that saved me cuz I didn't have to go meet with people and be uncomfortable, but I got support. I did do the support group/group therapy thing when D and I had problems and it did help, so I'm capable. I just don't prefer it. It's too bad he doesn't do computers, they offer so much on line to help people. Speaking of which, it's been too long since I thanked Dee and the Marchers for being here. I'm so grateful for you all, every day.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

I don't believe that AA is the only way to sobriety, for sure! At the same time, I'll say that we have atheists at AA all the time. The program encourages me to have a "higher power", which really means believing that I am not the highest power in the universe. I do have a strong faith and God is my personal "high-EST Power", but I've also realized that I have many "higher powers" ... AA certainly knew more about staying sober than I did! So that is one. I'd say the same for SR. And in other circumstances, there are many others. For me it was about saying, "I don't know it all, someone else knows better, so I'll listen to them."
Old 01-07-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Is he alone, Aussie? I hope he feels better soon. Does he have any sort of plan of attack for the future, like rehab, counseling, etc? You might look for Smart meetings in the area? Not sure how common those are. Or maybe ask a rehab place what they recommend? Wishing only the best for him.
He lives alone but has a lady friend , I have been on the phone to him everyday and visited on Friday ( he lives in another town ), he is pretty beaten up from the fall in the shower and really down but still sober I gave him a heap of pages I printed off from here and told him about Alan Carr books. It is out in the open now with the whole family, finally we are talking about this bloody disease. He already has a psychologist and is on AD's he is still trying to get into his GP but doesn't have an appointment until next week . I hope he can get into a rehab . Until he sees his doctor we are in limbo and it's cold turkey.

I also want to thank Dee and all my March friends for being here for me.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Oh it's good that he has a little in place already with the ADs and therapist. Glad to hear he's still sober. Hopefully he gets into rehab where he can learn so much more. Good on you for giving him some info to read and for supporting him so. I'm glad it's out in the open, too.