Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 11

Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Started new job today. Sooo much better. Thank God.

On lunch, I passed a liquor store I used to hit when selling insurance in the area. Brought back the sense of desperation I was feeling.

Feeling even better about my sobriety now. Didnt think I could.

What a mess I was. Unreal. So thankful to be where I am today and to have you guys as support.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
OMD

Amazing, Inc! That's just awesome!

Yes, I do feel good about clearing up my house, both literally and metaphorically.

Best wishes

OMD
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Inc, I am so happy for you. I loved catching up on your shopping stories. I absolutely love shopping!
But what girl doesn’t right?
OMD, I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember a while back I totally went ballistic and cleaned out junk corners and closets. It’s a work in progress! Nothing a fresh coat of paint can’t fix.
We went to a wedding this weekend and we all had fun. During cocktail hour I was slightly embarrassed when a friend with no class loudly asked if I was still not drinking and then asked how long has it been, 6 months? I could just feel all eyes and ears on me, I felt like a raging alcoholic, but I proudly told him 1.5 years (just a slight exaggeration). I was having a great time and my son told me I wasn’t even drunk like everyone else so I couldn’t dance. Well, I sure showed him you don’t need alcohol to have a good time! I even had him out on the dance floor.
We are off on our 2 week family holiday tomorrow. We are not driving, thank god, but decided we would have more time if we flew. We are going to Niagara Falls, Toronto, and Montreal! So excited.
I just have to say I feel fantastic. I am loving this sober life! I am meditating and exercising daily, and eating healthy, I’ve put on lean muscle and my weight is back to normal. I am just so happy and grateful for this life. This second chance at life. I will never let myself go back to who I was just a short while ago. I often wonder if I didn’t quit, how bad I would be now? It’s scary to even think how far I let myself fall, but I’m also thankful for the chance to learn and grow from the situation.
Ok, it’s bed time for me. If I don’t check in often in the next couple weeks, just know that I am thinking of you all. PS: I created my very own website which will have a blog aspect! I haven’t published anything yet, but I am writing! So happy. Message me if you are interested in the website address.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Have a good time Cauli!

Many years back, my wife and I did a Niagra Falls/ Toronto vacation. It was so much fun. Toronto seemed to be a really safe and clean city, at least compared to US East Coast big cities. So many diverse neighborhoods and very easy to get around using public transit. I have only been to Montreal once, but the family wants to do a Montreal/Quebec City vacation down the road. Another very interesting city. It may be as close to Europe as I will ever get, hearing most people not primarily speaking English.

Congrats again on the new job Inc!

OMD, I too let my routine house maintenance slide badly over my last several heavy drinking years. I have had pockets of time where I have made progress, but so much needs to be done. It doesn't help that my wife would rather just sit in front of the computer or television than clean or paint, but it is what it is. I am spending most of my free time trying to tame my jungle of a yard. I hopefully can focus more inside my house over the winter months.

Have a great day all!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
OMD

Hello!

Have a great vacation Cauli. Looking forward to hearing how it was. Seems like you are happy within yourself now, which is so great to see.

Amazing how we all neglected the same things, or so it seems anyway. Onwards and upwards though!

Best wishes
OMD
Old 08-16-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Enjoy the hoidays Cauli!!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I'm in the perfect situation where I rent now. The lawn is fried. Not my problem. Or even my concern. Something breaks... Call the LL.

I could get used to this. I dont miss yard work one bit. IDK if I'll ever have the desire to keep a lawn perfect again. Way to much work. I think the only reason I did it in the past was to drink and smoke anyway.

Painting...arg. Even worse.

We'll be getting a house eventually. Maybe as soon as the spring. If not, then the following year. This time, I have zero intrest in getting the nicest house I can afford. My fiance is on the same page too. We want to keep the mortgage low, low, low.

We have lost years to make up for retirement. I personally am starting over at 49yrs old. My main goal will be to have the house paid down in 15yrs. I've worked my ass off, so I think social security will cover the basics. Who knows. I'm not sweating it.

All I can do is all I can do.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Well, I filed bankruptcy today. Ot began the process anyway. I can finally start answering my phone! Yay me!

The past is getting further and further behind me. Yet I'm energized to not only never return, but to put more into my future than I ever would have otherwise.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
OMD

Congratulations Inc. You should share your story more widely at some point. Many people will be inspired. You are an inspiration to me, that's for sure.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 08-18-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Not a bad idea OMD. I think I'll update my Memories of an Alcoholic post to include the good along my journey. Itll encapsulate the entire transition.

Off day here and my fiance is off too. No plans yet beyond cleaning. It's trash day! Yeah baby! I love filling up the trash can.

Edit: nice not to have the recycle bin look like I had a huge party every week. Almost forgot about how stupid I felt putting that stuff on the curb side. Even after hiding an equal amount of bottles in the normal trash.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
OMD

Yeah mine was always like that. And I would always say, this has to stop. Shame it took so long, but better late than never.

OMD
Old 08-18-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Amen.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Inc, sounds like you and the future Mrs. Inc ought to be looking at a townhouse instead of a house. I used to have a huge vegetable garden and tons of flower beds scattered around my acre and a quarter piece of ground. I have given up the garden and let most of the flower beds return to lawn, yet I still spend the better part of a full day each week doing yard work. I am guessing housing is more affordable in your part of your state than where I am.

My mortgage payment each month is less than what it would cost me to rent a cookie cutter two bedroom apartment here. I could actually pay someone to bring in a crew to take care of the lawn and still be ahead of renting.

You should definitely update your thread. People will be excited to see all of the progress you have made in the past 16 months!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

We're looking online at houses now with hopes she'll qualify for FHA loan in April. It's exciting. We both have the mindset that smaller is better. Our number 1 goal is to get a 15yr loan for the same rent or less that we are paying now.

Lots of options out there. We also have flips as an option. I have mad skills as does she. Easy way to get in cheap then put money in as it becomes available.

The ultimate would be to get a 10yr loan. We'll see what income is like.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
OMD

We're rockin it! Totally sober!

Just sayin'

OMD
Old 08-21-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just saying "hi" to all. Life has settled into a normal life, with it's inherent ups and downs, albeit booze free. I like it! We have all come so far. Alcohol really has no appeal to me in the least.

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone!
Old 08-21-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

SG, I'm with ya. No appeal whatsoever. At least on the day to day front. Events happen, triggers happen, but few and far between.

That's a far cry from when I didn't think it was possible to go without a drink for more than a couple hours. The thought of skipping a day was scary. The idea of skipping a week was about as real as rainbow farting unicorns.

And I want to take a moment to thank you guys again. Not only for helping me get here, but staying here. It means a lot to have people who can really appreciate the milestones. Only you guys get it. Everyone else sees quitting as a one time event.

Not every day is a challange to stay sober. Most are very easy. But every single day is a day worth celebrating because we made the decision to stay sober today.

None for me.
One More Day
Old 08-21-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
OMD

Same here. I just realised I hit 500 days this week. Thank you.

Lol @ Inc signing off OMD!

I am In Control

Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on 500 OMD! I moved my day counter off of my home screen on my phone and it is now buried five or six screens back now. I see that I am at 492 as of today. I don't really count days now, but 500 is a huge milestone for all of us.

I doubt that any of us in April 2015 thought that we could go 500 days without drinking. Like Inc said, the idea of going a day without booze was scary.

I poke around the Newbie threads from time to time just to keep things fresh in my mind how terrible life can be not being in control of our drinking. Sometimes that seems like a lifetime ago. It is pretty incredible that our little group has made it to this milestone.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

We are all pretty awesome!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
OMD

Thanks SG. I agree with you on all points!

Best wishes

OMD