Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 11

Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad to see everyone doing well and making great progress!

Inc, I am sure you can appreciate this. My store saw a bunch of college kids leave to go away to school this fall and we had a few unexpectedly quit. Suddenly, we have hundreds of hours of payroll dollars not being used just as our business is ramping up from the slower summer. My boss didn't want to spend any extra dollars hiring and training replacements during the summer so now we have a bunch of newbies trying to be trained all at once. I saw this car crash coming months ago. End result is that we lose lots of sales because we can't get the product on the shelf. You end up paying for training one way or another. Now I remember why this job always led me to drink.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I hope your business expansion pans out well Amp! I can't imagine the stress you must be going through now. At least I get to lock the door at night on somebody's else's money. I just went through a week of stress at my job with little sleep and a rocky stretch at home with kids heading back to school and a myriad of other small things that quickly snowballed. For the first time in a while, I actually had a few fleeting thoughts of the "wouldn't it be great to have a few drinks to take the edge off" variety. Goes to show the AV is never dead, just hibernating a bit.

Keep fighting the good fight everyone!
Old 09-09-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Unbelievable mid summer like heat wave keeps rolling on here. Focusing on indoor chores on a day off.

Hope the training is going well Inc!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Hey Amp123, I was going through old posts of mine and found a reply of yours from May of 2015. Wanted to find you and see if you were still sobered up. Looks like you are!

It took me another several months after that to get there, but I'm about to be 10 months sober. Thanks for your encouragement back then!
Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

hi all, checking in.
Beeraholic! Congratulations on 10 months, keep going...it really does get easier. Everyone told me that in the beginning, and now at 1.5 ish years sober I can see exactly what they meant.

I have come down with the worst cold I've had in a long time. Not sure where I picked up the germ, but it sucks. Even though I'm sick, life does not slow down. Hockey tryouts are starting tomorrow for my son, and he is of course back in school.

My website / blog is up and running. It has nothing to do directly with sobriety, but it is a personal testimony to how positive my life is now that I am healthy. I will be trying to keep posting there often as it is tied to my business. I am hoping to get some real traffic and customers and business partners from there. It's not easy, I am no designer and not very techy. But, I am a creative person, so that was my strength behind it's creation.

Any tried and true cold remedies would be helpful! I've got ecchinacea and oil of oregano, tea with honey, and of course good old tried and trusted Tylenol Cold nighttime medication. I really hope I can sleep tonight, but my nose is so plugged I can't breath!

Hope to hear from you all soon!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That's awesome that you have set up a blog. Many folks have kept journals while quitting. PM me a link if you get a chance, Cauli!

Sorry about the nasty cold. Already got my flu shot this year. Usually, they aren't around until late October. I have gotten one every year since getting a horrible flu about 15 years back.

I am a big podcast fan, especially since I now have a long commute back and forth to work. I discovered one called "Recovery Elevator" where the host has roughly our sobriety time and he has a guest each show recounting their struggles with alcohol. Since I never did AA nor attended a meeting, it is powerful to hear the struggles others have had.

My AV has been dusted up a bit with work and home stress. No urge to drink but just the idea of having to deal with drinking thoughts abstractly is annoying. I even awoke to a drinking dream where my Dad and I were sitting at a bar drinking beers. I am going to focus on eating well and trying to get as much sleep as my job allows. The shortening days this time of year tend to kick my SAD up a bit too. Thankfully, not drinking virtually wiped out my usual depression last fall and winter. Not waking up with a black cloud over my head every morning is one of the best tools in my sober toolbox.

I hope everyone not in retail enjoys the weekend!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Best wishes for a great week everyone!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

That darned AV! On Saturday evening the beast showed up. It was more of a craving for a cigarette, I am now 6 months smoke free. It lead to the thought of having a smoke with a cold glass of wine on the deck...yikes! I had to quickly take a moment to try and understand what the trigger was, and when I figured it out, I got myself under control again. It's something we will all have to keep practicing as we progress in our sobriety.

The trigger: loneliness. For the first in a long time I missed a CFL home game as my son's schedule had a conflict. I was home and my husband was at the game with friends, and it took me back to the old days when I was not a huge football fan...I would rather stay home and pop open a bottle or two of wine and be by myself. Well, I didn't really want to be by myself, but I wanted to be by myself with my wine. It was that little memory or "feeling" that triggered the addict in me to be naughty and drink and smoke while the hubby was away.

Raining and chilly beans this evening...I'll be hitting the sack early with a big cup of tea and book to try and stay warm and rested. This cold is pretty much under control, but I don't want to push it.

SG - I'll send you the link right away...check your inbox soon!
Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Glad to see everyone doing well and making great progress!

Inc, I am sure you can appreciate this. My store saw a bunch of college kids leave to go away to school this fall and we had a few unexpectedly quit. Suddenly, we have hundreds of hours of payroll dollars not being used just as our business is ramping up from the slower summer. My boss didn't want to spend any extra dollars hiring and training replacements during the summer so now we have a bunch of newbies trying to be trained all at once. I saw this car crash coming months ago. End result is that we lose lots of sales because we can't get the product on the shelf. You end up paying for training one way or another. Now I remember why this job always led me to drink.
LOL. Yeah, been there, done that. Why do the store managers have a hard time understanding that? Plus, there's always opportunity to upgrade somebody. Or at least hack underperformer hours.

Now, you're going to have a bunch of turn over for a while too as some of the newbs get better offers, or decide they don't like working after all.

And, when hiring is 911 mode, he probably took on some dead weight that you wouldn't have hired a couple months ago when theres no urgency.

At least now you can handle the situation better. It is what it is.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

SG... I listed to the recovery elevator podcast for a bit. Very interesting! I can't wait to listen to more.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Hey, what's the recovery elevator podcast?
I need something to listen to now that i've started up a new running routine! I realized that I was making excuses...bears, bugs, heat. While on holidays I made use of some incredible treadmills in the hotel gyms, so came another excuse. I need a treadmill and could not run without one. Wrong! I could run, and if I stayed in my "Cove" I have a fantastic outdoor natural "track", and when my dog is running and hanging out in the hood, he will keep the big bad bears away. My dog is now considered a senior and he can't keep up with me, otherwise we would have ran all summer, so now that the cottagers are pretty much gone for the season he can be off leash. He's so cute, he tries to keep up, but eventually gives and waits for me to come around the corner again.

It's fun, this healthy living thing. I'm glad I decided to give it a try in April 2015!
Old 09-14-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have time on your hands, maybe posting a little more would help Cauli - I find running through the Newcomers forum and giving some support helps me immensely too

D
Old 09-14-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Cauliflower..
I had to download a podcast app. In the app, I searched for Recovery elevator. I think any app will do.

Very, very interesting. I love his views. And hearing the stories of his guests is motivating as well.

Thanks again SG
Old 09-14-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I find the episodes help me stay centered whether heading in to work or refocusing after a long day. Hearing the life tales of the guests remind me how crazy this disease is and the lengths that we go through to overcome it. Hearing folks talk about turning their lives around always makes me smile.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just started reading "Drinking, A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp.

Though the author grew up in an upper middle class family, the details of how she describes alcohol's increasing hold over her life resemble the road I traveled. Always rationalizing another drink, hiding booze around the house, sneaking drinks when no one was looking.

On a lark last night, I retook one of the many online alcohol tests that I repeatedly took to see if I really was an alcoholic. When I was drinking, I gave my responses every benefit of the doubt and yet they all said that I had a drinking problem. The Johns Hopkins test is my favorite, 20 questions only, and it tells you what stage of alcoholism you are(or were) in. Answering honestly, I found myself to be in the middle stage of alcoholism. Very scary stuff! Their excellent web site states that the usual time line when one begins drinking alcoholically to the end (death) averages around 15 years. I can't actually pinpoint the time that I officially began drinking alcoholically, but my clock must have been ticking for a while.

I feel especially fortunate to be off of that 15 year timeline now!

Have a great day everyone!Test For Alcoholism. The Johns Hopkins Alcoholism Questionnaire.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
OMD

Thanks SG. Not sure I need to take this or any other test though!

Friday night and I'm still on the road. My worst kind of weekend. Not home for another 9 days. Interesting sitting here with a different perspective on alcohol. Progressive destruction all around.

None for me today.

Have a great weekend everyone!

OMD
Old 09-17-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Yeah OMD, I've been in your shoes. Looking back, I think that's what really ramped up my drinking problem was being on the road like that.

During my first traveling job, I would explore. Hop in the car and see what the area had to offer. Making sure I ate at local "hole in the wall" restaurants. Sometimes I'd explore natural wonders, take hikes, or bike ride. I used to take my mountain bike with me everywhere.

Later, when I was older and on the habit of drinking on days off, when the crack of the beer signified the start of the weekend, I'd explore different bars and restaurants only. Or hunt down small breweries and try beer I never had before.

That eventually turned into buying a bunch of alcohol, hunkering down in the hotel room, and exploring what was on TV.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hang in there OMD!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
OMD

Thanks guys. Agreed Inc, and I'm not going back there, no way. Even though I do miss breweries, bars and all the banter when I am away. I just need to remember my March 2015 self would have taken my September 2016 self in a heartbeat. Onwards and upwards.

OMD
Old 09-18-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Got a new phone for my birthday 10 days ago and just realised I didn't have the SR app on it. Out of sight is out of mind for me and I've been so busy at work (10-14 hour days for over a month now) that I only just realised!!

Missed this contact with you guys though. Felt like something was missing and just realised what it is!

Beeraholic! Congrats on 10 months. Good to see everyone e keeping well despite the stresses of day to day life! 😇