Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 13

Old 05-06-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keets View Post
I'm sorry imdont have anything to say that will help you. I am having a hard time getting myself through the nigh tonight. I'm here if you need to talk.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
I'm in such a downward spiral right now that it scares me. I am literally crumbling before my husbands eyes and he is so obsessed with work that he doesn't even see it.
If your husband can't or won't listen to you, can you find someone else who will? A doctor? A therapist? A counselor? A rehab? A recovery group? A priest? Another family member? Those are all just ideas off the top of my head. I'm sorry if they're not any help to you. I do know that drinking is only making your depression worse. Alcohol is a depressant. It's not medicine, it's poison to our minds and our bodies and our souls. We're here if you need to vent or cry or just to sit silent and listen. Wish I could offer more than that from this long distance. You are in my thoughts and prayers, PeacefulRain...your parents wouldn't want you to be this unhappy--find some help in honor of them.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Keets View Post
I'm sorry imdont have anything to say that will help you. I am having a hard time getting myself through the nigh tonight. I'm here if you need to talk.
And Keets I'm here if you need to talk as well. Sorry you are having a rough night.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

PeacefulRain, I hope you can hold yourself together - just for a bit. Try and think this through and realize that drinking won't really help. Is there something in particular that's causing trouble today? Also, sometimes we get pretty good at hiding our issues and the self-inflicted wounds of our drinking. We expect others to notice, but they can't really see what's going on inside of us. Find a way to get things out in the open, if you can.

Keets, I hope your night gets better too. It's late for me but I'll try and stick around for a bit.

Come on back to chat, either of you. I'll be sending out positive thoughts in the meantime.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
I'm in such a downward spiral right now that it scares me. I am literally crumbling before my husbands eyes and he is so obsessed with work that he doesn't even see it.
Peaceful Rain, can you describe what you're feeling? Are you missing your parents?

Hugs...lots of them...for you. Hold on.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

PR - you are in my thoughts. I wish I had wise words. We are hear for you to listen when you need an ear. Big hugs to you.

Casey - Grand Rapids, Michigan is my hometown. Didn't even know we had our own Bozo.

Lofty - I've been in the Chicago area for the last 24 years. Some in the city proper, the rest in the western and far southwest suburbs.

Last night was awful, which made today very hard. I should know from my spinal fusion a year and a half ago that physical recovery is a rocky road full of ups and downs. I was feeling good for a couple of days, even though I have trouble sleeping for more than a few hours at a time. So I was overly optimistic that I was on the upswing. But last night the pain flared up big time. All night. Nothing helped. Not pain meds, or ice. I was so tired I kept nodding off, but would only sleep a few minutes at a time before pain woke me up again. I finally got about two hours of solid sleep before having to get up for the day. I wanted to drink so badly today, but I am still sober. I kept thinking how much worse I'd feel with a hangover. And the danger of mixing meds and alcohol. And the damage I would do if I lost my balance and fell. That cured my craving pretty fast. I'm hoping for a better night tonight. Send sleepy dust my way, please!!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
And Keets I'm here if you need to talk as well. Sorry you are having a rough night.
Thanks
I just feel like this week I have been walking in a fog and having a hard time getting motivated to do anything. I go see my therapist in the morning and I usually fill out a questioner about how I'm feeling lately so maybe I'll bring it up with him. As we get close to summer break I hav been triggered a lot by the what do i do next part as I have a bad habbit of drinking too much when I don't have to,drive anywhere.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:34 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Sorry im not trying to ruin everyone's night. It's been a rough week for me. I don't know if it's the chemo another med or just me. I have been so tired and sleep way into the afternoon till I have to get my daughter lunch and off to school than I'm back home and napping again till they get out and walk home. I just do numb to anything I'm doing like I'm walking though a dream and so out of it. I'm sill 39 days sober though and I know drinking will only make things worse. I have just had enough of this feeling and can't shake it. im exhausted but can't sleep I yawn so much my jaw is sore and can't stop. also my husband has been working really super late and imswear when he comes home he acts like he has been drinking. I sure hope I'm just seeing things.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Re-Member

That does sound like an awful night, clearlyheaded. I'm glad you thought the drink through today and steered clear of it. Remember we're also here to help when those cravings hit, though I know the typing issue can make that more difficult. The video I saw was from 1987 and Bozo announced an address at the end for TV13 in Grand Rapids. He was a rude Bozo judging by that one five minute video, so it's good you didn't know of him.

I think you most definitely should bring all this up with your therapist first thing, Keets. I know you said you are using an over the counter sleep aide and you thought it was part of the foggy issue. I know nothing about sleep meds but have you talked to your doctors about another solution? I would guess the chemo probably causes so many other potential medication interaction issues as well. Anyways, I'm glad you're here with us and think it says a lot about your strength and desire that you're so determined to stay sober. I hope this next week is a better one for you. Maybe you can get the kids involved in some kind of summer activity out of the house so that you'll still have some specific goals that you have to drive to every day? And I hope you're wrong about your husband.

You're in my thoughts and prayers tonight. I'm proud to have both of you as my friends in recovery.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Keets, 39 days sober is a huge accomplishment under the best of circumstances. To manage it with everything else you have going on is amazing. You have my respect. You are a STAR. Hopefully your therapist or another doctor can help in-fog you. You deserve it.

[B]Clearlyheaded[B], you have my sympathies with your pain issues and congrats to you too for coming here and posting. That chronic pain stuff is no joke. The pain, the exhaustion and the way it intrudes into your whole life is no fun at all.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
That does sound like an awful night, clearlyheaded. I'm glad you thought the drink through today and steered clear of it. Remember we're also here to help when those cravings hit, though I know the typing issue can make that more difficult. The video I saw was from 1987 and Bozo announced an address at the end for TV13 in Grand Rapids. He was a rude Bozo judging by that one five minute video, so it's good you didn't know of him.

I think you most definitely should bring all this up with your therapist first thing, Keets. I know you said you are using an over the counter sleep aide and you thought it was part of the foggy issue. I know nothing about sleep meds but have you talked to your doctors about another solution? I would guess the chemo probably causes so many other potential medication interaction issues as well. Anyways, I'm glad you're here with us and think it says a lot about your strength and desire that you're so determined to stay sober. I hope this next week is a better one for you. Maybe you can get the kids involved in some kind of summer activity out of the house so that you'll still have some specific goals that you have to drive to every day? And I hope you're wrong about your husband.

You're in my thoughts and prayers tonight. I'm proud to have both of you as my sober friend.
I did mention an over the counter sleep aid I just started using it this week. My doc recommended it as I'm taking an anti depressant that would have an interaction with a prescription sleep aid. I have not be sleeping well or even getting enough sleep at night so he suggested I try it out. my body is tricky for what ever reason i have the opposite effect on most meds than intended. So finding the right things for me is always trial and error. Maybe that's why I'm wanting to,drink now, it always made me a happy go lucky person and was ready to get stuff done. Not that that's my excuse I just became the opposite person when i did drink.
If I can get the motivation I plan on doing stuff with my kids but right now all I feel like doing durging the day is sleep. I have 2 week to snap,out of it before they get out.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
Keets, 39 days sober is a huge accomplishment under the best of circumstances. To manage it with everything else you have going on is amazing. You have my respect. You are a STAR. Hopefully your therapist or another doctor can help in-fog you. You deserve it.

[B]Clearlyheaded[B], you have my sympathies with your pain issues and congrats to you too for coming here and posting. That chronic pain stuff is no joke. The pain, the exhaustion and the way it intrudes into your whole life is no fun at all.
Thanks, I do have a lot going on and I'm trying to push onward with being sober. I hope I can get it figured out ASAP I'm just not feeling like myself right now. It's messing with me big time and I don't like it.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Well, Keets, one thing your body and mind is definitely not tricky about is that drinking is not the answer for you. You've proven that many times over the years. It's why you joined these forums in the first place and why you're here now. Sleep problems must be so frustrating--keep searching and working with your doctors. You're doing the right things as best as I can see so I know the right answers will come along for you. You can do this. You ARE doing this. No matter what, as I often say. Heck, you may be the best example of "no matter what" that we've got here in this class. You're an hour away from having 40 days sober. That's awesome and something you should be so proud of!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Re-Member

And I'm headed to bed. Thanks to all of you for keeping me sober one more day!

Talk to you all in the morning...
Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Peaceful Rain and Keets be kind to yourselves. Sending lots of love and strength your way. Wish I could click my fingers and take your pain away.
Sweet Dreams Clearly Headed ,Jemma, Casey and anyone else headed to bed. xxx
Old 05-06-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Checking in.

And out.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Administrator

hello..and goodbye

D
Old 05-06-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Keets, you make my struggle seem like a day at Disney World. You’re strength and courage is so incredible. Don’t sell yourself short; don’t take your eye off the ball. You’re amazing.

PR, I feel you. Big time. I’m not necessarily in a spiral but a brutal holding pattern. The spiral awaits me. We can both turn this around. I won’t suggest anything as I’m neither succeeding nor qualified, but I want you to know you’re not alone.

clearlyheaded, I’ve held off on surgery for years. The recovery time and PT is something I’m not ready for. My torn shoulder labrum is manageable for now. I applaud you for doing what you needed to when it became unmanageable. Sometimes the suffering in shorter term is for best in the long run. A lot like sobriety I would think, not that I would know much about that.

Pelagic and Kayak, I hope you’ll stick around. Casey is right that we’re stronger together, even if we just read. I didn’t see anything for either of you to be ashamed of or reason to leave.

immri, Casey, Applekat, MITA, Jemma, Bobbieka, Mish, sam, Lofty, Ladybug and all who I missed, thank you!

This really is a wonderful group that supports one another and doesn’t judge. Learning/Understanding/Accepting that I’m not alone in the struggle and the, for me, constant face plants, means a lot. Perhaps more than you’ll ever know. Or perhaps just like you all already know. I could go on with trying to express my gratitude that you haven’t turned me away during all this. And on and on and on, but this is lengthy enough. And disjointed too.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Originally Posted by Thirteenth View Post
Keets, you make my struggle seem like a day at Disney World. You’re strength and courage is so incredible. Don’t sell yourself short; don’t take your eye off the ball. You’re amazing.

PR, I feel you. Big time. I’m not necessarily in a spiral but a brutal holding pattern. The spiral awaits me. We can both turn this around. I won’t suggest anything as I’m neither succeeding nor qualified, but I want you to know you’re not alone.

clearlyheaded, I’ve held off on surgery for years. The recovery time and PT is something I’m not ready for. My torn shoulder labrum is manageable for now. I applaud you for doing what you needed to when it became unmanageable. Sometimes the suffering in shorter term is for best in the long run. A lot like sobriety I would think, not that I would know much about that.

Pelagic and Kayak, I hope you’ll stick around. Casey is right that we’re stronger together, even if we just read. I didn’t see anything for either of you to be ashamed of or reason to leave.

immri, Casey, Applekat, MITA, Jemma, Bobbieka, Mish, sam, Lofty, Ladybug and all who I missed, thank you!

This really is a wonderful group that supports one another and doesn’t judge. Learning/Understanding/Accepting that I’m not alone in the struggle and the, for me, constant face plants, means a lot. Perhaps more than you’ll ever know. Or perhaps just like you all already know. I could go on with trying to express my gratitude that you haven’t turned me away during all this. And on and on and on, but this is lengthy enough. And disjointed too.
Thirteenth, you wrote my sentiments exactly. Prayers for all who are suffering on this thread. I had the good fortune to attend a lunch meeting yesterday where the keynote speaker was the famous sports psychologist Dr Kevin Elko. Id encourage anyone to google him and subscribe to his free emails and podcasts. The recurring theme of his speech yesterday was about those brave souls battlng cancer. I came away with many new tools in my belt, but one of the biggest was the mantra "compared to what?" He gave many poignant examples to describe how a grateful heart is a healing heart. In fact, he even cited a recent study that indicated writing 3 thank you notes a week can stave ff depression. His speaking style is quite disjointed and full of asides and digressions, but at the end of the hour, the seeds he had planted in my mind and heart will be growing for a lng time to come. He was also quite humorous. Again, my prayers for all struggling.

Moved my son out of his dorm last night and this morning. And now I sit and wait for 6 hrs as he completes his cmmunity servce for the college and the court. Man, I must really be a good dad! Lol. I am actually glad to have the 3 hr drve home to talk with him. He is only a couple weeks off the pot pipe and is seeing the light after a difficult semester. We have a lot to work on together this summer.

I continue to be amazed with the love, encouragement, and suppor on this thread. I think there are even some here who may have found their callng in life beyond keeping their own sobriety.

I am still out of tune, but love writing when I am sober. I was inspired last week by our newpapers editorial and wrote a response to it. Wouldnt ya know they want to publish it? Kinda proud of that.

I hope everyone has a peaceful, pain-free, sober day and weekend. Love to all. On to day 11...
Old 05-07-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm jumping back in after 4 days of my usual nonsense. Four weeks from today is my vacation and staying sober these four weeks is my only shot at an alcohol free vacation, which is truly what I want. I worked too hard these past four months, to just go back to my old ways. This may sound like my typical empty promises, but the only one responsible for keeping them is me.

I will go back and and get caught up on posts, but I also think I may join May since I need all the support I can get.

This is so humbling, every single time. I know what I need to do, I have tools and resources and plans that work, the only thing stopping me is myself.