# 2 (permalink)  

Yay! First post!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah you beat me!!

Hope your headaches go away soon keets, it's horrible being in pain
Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Boy you guys have been busy today! Had a lot of fun reading, so thank you. Sounds like there are a lot of good spirits, which is great to see.

Tonight has been better than last. My pain is starting to lift. I took my first pain meds since 5:30 this morning tonight at 9:30. I think being under the constant fog of the meds and not getting good solid stretches of sleep were wearing on me. I slept today from 9 this morning until 3 this afternoon. It felt great. Hopefully tonight's sleep comes easily.

Day 13 is coming to a close. That means I hit two weeks when I wake up in the morning! Longest sober stretch ever.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Got a phone call that kept me awake a bit longer. Nothing bad. Just an old friend. Clicked on SR out of habit while I was on the phone so thought I might as well check in one last time. Really going to bed after this.

Anyways, sorry you're having bad headaches, Keets, but glad you checked in. Congrats on a huge 37 days sober!

Also glad to hear from you, clearlyheaded. I know it's hard for you to type long in here right now but we'd love to hear from you anything you can tell us about how you're doing. (EDIT: And now I see you were typing more at the same time I was. Glad to hear the pain is lifting a little. Take all the sleep you can. I'm sure your body needs it. And that's awesome about this being your longest sober stretch ever. Thank you for sharing this journey with us.)

Thanks for the spacious new home, Dee74. We'll try to keep this one full of good recovery just like the last one.

Goodnight all! Sweet dreams!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I want to apologize for whatever I wrote yesterday. I don't know what it was and I don't really want to know right now, but I hope it wasn't offensive.

This space is for healing and I want to respect that. I'm so proud of the courage you all exhibit in your lives and in the fight against addiction. In the past week I haven't put up much of a fight so my presence here can't be too helpful right now. I'll be back when I have it pulled together again--I hope that means today, but geez I went off the rails. In the meantime I'll be rooting for all of you. Keep it going because you guys rock!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pelagic, you will always be my sober twin, no matter what happens.

CH, hope you are sound asleep by now.

I should have commented on all of you, but waking up to a million new posts is a bit overwhelming. I can at least answer Casey's question about our holiday: it's Ascension Day, and a public holiday in Norway. This is actually quite strange, we're not a very Christian folk, we Norwegians, so instead of celebrating or praying or going to church, this day is known as the big work-in-the-yard-day.

I'll be cleaning and baking today too, but I'll make sure that I stop by SR every now and then to check up on you. It's weird, but I haven't had one single craving since I got back on track. It's as if my body knows that alcohol is out of the question.

Just one more thing, Casey. Why bother with 30 pages? You can change the settings to display more posts per page, my thread only got to 21 pages. And congratulations on day 54!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow. I missed a lot of posts! If it weren't for a little insomnia I think I'd get so far behind I'd never catch up! It's a little after 3am and I'm pretty much wide awake. I can usually count on a little CNN to put me back asleep but even that's not working.

Keets!! 37 days = bang up job!

Pelagic. Pfft, whatever - we all have good days and bad days. If you need a place to come to when you're cranky and irritable, this is a better spot than some alternatives.

Fabela, I hope you enjoy yard work!

There were about 650 in my graduating class (1978). I did a little of everything. Played a couple of sports, dated a few cheerleaders, got decent enough grades smoked a lot of pot and drank as much as I could afford. The pot smoking became not so much fun in college and I have not smoked in about 30 years. It was in high school, though, that I learned how much drinking seemed to help with my shyness/introversion. I'm not painfully shy, but a few drinks always helped. As I look back now, I had a problem even back then. I really loved to drink and quickly discovered the extra kick from hard liquor.

I did, for the most part, enjoy high school. I had good teachers and good friends. I made a few bad choices but that's life.

Here's to hopefully getting a little sleep before the alarm goes off!
Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
Hi everyone, I want to apologize for whatever I wrote yesterday. I don't know what it was and I don't really want to know right now, but I hope it wasn't offensive.

This space is for healing and I want to respect that. I'm so proud of the courage you all exhibit in your lives and in the fight against addiction. In the past week I haven't put up much of a fight so my presence here can't be too helpful right now. I'll be back when I have it pulled together again--I hope that means today, but geez I went off the rails. In the meantime I'll be rooting for all of you. Keep it going because you guys rock!
Pelagic this place is not just for those who've 'got it right'...it's very much for those struggling too.

It's very noble to fall on our sword so as not to harm anyone else here,. but unless we have an alternation to SR lined up we may just be doing our AV's bidding.

If you need to join a fresh group here, I do recommend that and I recommend the May group. There's no requirement for you to stop posting in this group though

Nows the time you need support more than ever. I really hope you reconsider.

D
Old 05-05-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hello everyone still sober had a great weekend with my kids. I decided to stay away cuz it seem like I was causing more trouble than good
Old 05-05-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Did you cause trouble, Kayak? I haven't noticed anything.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Caught up

edited highlights

Welcome back Ladybug!

MITA I might be biased but I think the Oz rock music of the 70s and early 80s was amongst the best in the world.

hang in there clearlyheaded

That must be a great feeling Bobbieka

I have a full life off SR too Bobbieka - it can be a challenge to maintain a balance and give enough to both, but I do my best...

Today was not fun stuff tho - doctors appointments and such kept me offline.

You're sounding great Fabela

I'm sure your sober vacation will be great applekat

congrats on day 4 rah - and congrats on day 53 Casey - to me it looks like you're doing everything right, man.

You're not the first person to fall off the edge of the world here...it's done and over, and you're back...No sense in beating yourself up

I'm glad you're still checking in too thirteenth

Like I said to Pelagic being noble is ...noble - but not if it's to your detriment.

I really hope you'll make the full leap sometime soon too - it never gets any better out there, man.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning!

It's day seven for me if I'm counting my days right.

Last night was a rough night for me. I didn't drink but I sure wanted to. Stress for me, especially work stress, has a breaking point - and yesterday was it. I actually have the weekend off this week and I am going to use it to get back into my heathy eating and exercise routine. Whenever I start eating junk and not exercising I know that something bad is coming down the pipes. I have registered for my first 5K on May 28th and I am feeling pretty excited about it!

In high school I was the straight A student who got pregnant and got kicked out (I went to a Christian high school where you had to sign a morality contract and believe it or not - pregnancy at 16 was considered a violation of that contract...lol). I eventually went to another school that had parenting classes and a daycare - which was pretty progressive back in 1993 - and my graduating class was around 750 people.

Well that's enough rambling for now. I will attempt to catch up today/tomorrow. Have a great sober day today!
Old 05-05-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My graduation class was 27 students... and I was just as weird as the rest of them. We majored in music and were considered freaks by the rest of the school.

I'm about to put my cinnamon rolls into the oven. They look and smell great!
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cinnamon rolls sound amazing!!
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Managed a little bit of sleep but back up now - that line "the struggle for the legal tender" comes to mind.

Dee, I still listen to that Skyhooks album. I was really into the New York punk bands of that era but the Oz stuff is pretty good, too.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-05-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sam, I wish you could be here for the real thing. This is the best recipe I've ever tasted! Well, I haven't tasted the recipe, paper doesn't taste that good, although it's fiber, but the rolls are out of this world.

Charlie needs a bath. It's going to be interesting, since I have no idea how he will react.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good morning! Start of day 5 for me! I am on a business trip. I saw my daughter and my grand daughter tonight. We went to dinner...it was good to see them. My other daughter is coming to see me tonight. I was a bit tempted to order a cocktail at dinner last night but I quickly stopped that thinking. Building muscles

Hope you all are well! Saw some posts about high school. Socially I didn't like high school at all. I went to a catholic high school in the next town over from where I lived. I hated that. It separated me from the friends I made in middle school and I just didn't fit in with the catholic school kids. I just never really found my place which is probably I did some of the things I did and made some if the decisions I did when I was younger.

The theme of not feeling like I fit in or not feeling connected seems to be a theme for me. I am even struggling with this now with my job. Two years ago I took a job in a corporate office. Nice office building. I have a nice office. But no one else does what I do or is involved in what I do at all so I don't have much face to face interaction with people in the office. My days are spent in my office with the door shut talking on the phone/participating in meetings with people all over the country. The job has its perks but I think not having face to face interaction with people I associate with is having a negative impact on me. I feel like I'm in a spot because taking another job that would be more satisfying socially would mean I'd have to move to another state that is more expensive than the current state I live in. For retirement prep my current state is great. Decisions, decisions
Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So fascinating to hear what everyone was like in highschool. Like I said I was the rebellious kid, well really the rebellious artsy kid I think, art was the only thing I had any passion for. Zero extra curriculars, hated sports (especially teams haha, yuck people..I was such a brat!!), I got fairly good grades in my exams miraculously but I hated being told what to do so I was a horrid student. It's funny because now as an adult I'm in some ways the complete opposite, basically a career student spending every free moment studying, I work for a bit and then can't keep away and go back to school. I can't believe how ambitious I became when I started doing well at uni, it was so unlike me. And I hate parties, bars, clubs, even big social events.

A lot of this was why I had such a hard time trying to redefine who I am when I first tried to stop drinking actually, because since I was 13 I was the bad kid, the one who had the best (worst) stories, it was even a joke growing up amongst my friends that id be dead in a few years, and that was my whole identity. So hard to change something like that.

Thankfully even though I haven't been sober that entire time, the last several years I've been seen and see myself as something very different to all that. Just realised how glad I am for that actually, it's made it much easier to get alcohol completely out of my life this time. I couldn't do that before, I was around it all the time even if I wasn't drinking.

Ok I'm rambling but this made me think
Old 05-05-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Checking in on day 6,7, or 8? Not sure. Anyway it's nice to wake up sober that's for sure

I played sports in high school, softball, skiing, track. I started drinking at 14 but that was rare and I didn't care for it. My friends drank all the time and I took care of them.

Then I had a sad break-up at 16 and became a rebellious partier. My parents were ultra strict, and I hated it. I drank a lot of cheap vodka and Gatorade and smoked a lot of pot. My graduating class had about 80. I think I was well-liked, I had friends from several different groups, making me pretty well-rounded. I was a straight B student and I did no studying. I was depressed in high school though and couldn't wait to be done. Mostly, I couldn't wait to get out of my parents house.

Have a good day everyone!