View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
LoftyIdeals
SoberOutlook

Originally Posted by Thirteenth View Post
Keets, you make my struggle seem like a day at Disney World. You’re strength and courage is so incredible. Don’t sell yourself short; don’t take your eye off the ball. You’re amazing.

PR, I feel you. Big time. I’m not necessarily in a spiral but a brutal holding pattern. The spiral awaits me. We can both turn this around. I won’t suggest anything as I’m neither succeeding nor qualified, but I want you to know you’re not alone.

clearlyheaded, I’ve held off on surgery for years. The recovery time and PT is something I’m not ready for. My torn shoulder labrum is manageable for now. I applaud you for doing what you needed to when it became unmanageable. Sometimes the suffering in shorter term is for best in the long run. A lot like sobriety I would think, not that I would know much about that.

Pelagic and Kayak, I hope you’ll stick around. Casey is right that we’re stronger together, even if we just read. I didn’t see anything for either of you to be ashamed of or reason to leave.

immri, Casey, Applekat, MITA, Jemma, Bobbieka, Mish, sam, Lofty, Ladybug and all who I missed, thank you!

This really is a wonderful group that supports one another and doesn’t judge. Learning/Understanding/Accepting that I’m not alone in the struggle and the, for me, constant face plants, means a lot. Perhaps more than you’ll ever know. Or perhaps just like you all already know. I could go on with trying to express my gratitude that you haven’t turned me away during all this. And on and on and on, but this is lengthy enough. And disjointed too.
Thirteenth, you wrote my sentiments exactly. Prayers for all who are suffering on this thread. I had the good fortune to attend a lunch meeting yesterday where the keynote speaker was the famous sports psychologist Dr Kevin Elko. Id encourage anyone to google him and subscribe to his free emails and podcasts. The recurring theme of his speech yesterday was about those brave souls battlng cancer. I came away with many new tools in my belt, but one of the biggest was the mantra "compared to what?" He gave many poignant examples to describe how a grateful heart is a healing heart. In fact, he even cited a recent study that indicated writing 3 thank you notes a week can stave ff depression. His speaking style is quite disjointed and full of asides and digressions, but at the end of the hour, the seeds he had planted in my mind and heart will be growing for a lng time to come. He was also quite humorous. Again, my prayers for all struggling.

Moved my son out of his dorm last night and this morning. And now I sit and wait for 6 hrs as he completes his cmmunity servce for the college and the court. Man, I must really be a good dad! Lol. I am actually glad to have the 3 hr drve home to talk with him. He is only a couple weeks off the pot pipe and is seeing the light after a difficult semester. We have a lot to work on together this summer.

I continue to be amazed with the love, encouragement, and suppor on this thread. I think there are even some here who may have found their callng in life beyond keeping their own sobriety.

I am still out of tune, but love writing when I am sober. I was inspired last week by our newpapers editorial and wrote a response to it. Wouldnt ya know they want to publish it? Kinda proud of that.

I hope everyone has a peaceful, pain-free, sober day and weekend. Love to all. On to day 11...