Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 13

Old 05-06-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Sorry to be so chatty today (because I'm not usually-that's Casey)but I just read this and it resonates with me, I thought it might with some of you.

"Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death."

Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 30
Old 05-06-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Pre-noon nap accomplished. Like I've said, this whole waking up earlier thing is still a work in progress.

And your house smells like awesome dog, Fabela! Give ol' Charlie a big rub on the belly from his biggest fan here in Texas.

Poor little Ladybuglet. I'm sure the mystery fever will dissipate soon, Ladybug2. Thanks for keeping us updated. You are both in my thoughts today.

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Sorry to be so chatty today (because I'm not usually-that's Casey)
From Bobbieka's profile:

Posts Per Day: 7.98

From CaseyW's profile

Posts Per Day: 4.32

That's an old old joke, Bobbieka, but it still made me laugh. Heard that one many times while standing behind a bar supposedly working but probably taking more shots than all the customers combined.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

touché, Casey.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Of course I have stopped visiting and posting here for around 20 months total out of the 34 months I've been a member here. Take those days out of there and my average would be more like 11 posts per day. I'd also be 1,024 days sober today if I'd never drank since my first post on SR. Woulda coulda shoulda...I'm happy with my 55 days today.

P.S. Some of the numbers mentioned above might come somewhat in handy for my upcoming contest. Stay tuned!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I was thinking if there were a way to add length of posts, you win, hands down.

I think that was a hint.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm tempted to say something about size not mattering, but this is a PG-rated forum.

There's a dude in the new May class that is kinda making me bang my head against the wall right now. He's on day 6 and keeps talking about going to visit his regular pub on a daily basis, swears it's ok because he's just drinking sodas. And he just talked about how he still has his whiskey at his house because it's too expensive to pour out. Ugh! Have to remember I can't control others, all I can do is nicely offer my opinion based on the little experience I have. But all of that is just a disaster waiting to happen. Poor guy. He seems to be very nice and is definitely being very encouraging to others. Hope he figures it out.

EDIT: And he did just respond that he knows I'm right about the booze in his house and maybe he'll pour it out tomorrow. Small steps, small steps...yay.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Pelagic263--I saw your post this morning on that reasons to drink thread. Lot of truth in that post. Hope you'll get back in here with us! Or start posting in the May class. Or start your own accountability thread. Or all three. We're here for you!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Re-Member

And thanks for sharing that Big Book quote, Bobbieka. There's a lot of great stuff in that book. Bill Wilson really did understand alcoholics to the core. But there's also some outdated and/or poorly written and/or misogynistic crap. I really wish that AA would give the book a rewrite, but that's never ever going to happen. Too many oldtimers that view at as a sacred text, instead of what it is--a book written by an ordinary man in the 1930s.

The literature for Narcotics Anonymous is pretty much based on the AA books but is so much better written. I wish the NA program around my town was stronger, simply because I like the literature from there so much more. That being said, the fellowship I get from AA is invaluable. I'm glad I added it back to my recovery plan this time.

EDIT: From the NA "How It Works" read before every meeting. For those of you who've been to AA meetings, this is a good comparison of the level of writing between the two. I love these three paragraphs. I never really realized it before but SO MUCH of my own plan for recovery is based on these paragraphs (asking for help, helping someone else, not drinking no matter what, the first drink getting us drunk, etc., they're all in here):

We feel that our approach to the disease of addiction is
completely realistic, for the therapeutic value of one addict
helping another is without parallel. We feel that our way is
practical, for one addict can best understand and help another
addict. We believe that the sooner we face our problems within
our society, in everyday living, just that much faster do we
become acceptable, responsible, and productive members
of that society.

The only way to keep from returning to active addiction is
not to take that first drug. If you are like us you know that
one is too many and a thousand never enough. We put great
emphasis on this, for we know that when we use drugs in any
form, or substitute one for another, we release our addiction
all over again.

Thinking of alcohol as different from other drugs has caused
a great many addicts to relapse. Before we came to NA, many
of us viewed alcohol separately, but we cannot afford to be
confused about this. Alcohol is a drug. We are people with the
disease of addiction who must abstain from all drugs in order
to recover.

Now I kinda want to go to an NA meeting. I haven't been to one here in years but they used to be a little sketchy. Maybe I should try one again on my next day off. They're actually not that far from my house.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

You and I have almost taken up the entire page. I'll shut up now.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm just trying to catch up to your daily post average. At this rate, it should only take me about two more years.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

No need to be snarky.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You're right. My apologies. I'll let you have the last word.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

As it should be.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I checked the exit polling and as of right now my daily post count average has bumped up to a 4.33 as compared to the 4.32 it was an hour and fourteen minutes ago whereas you're up to 8.03 from 7.98. I concede the victory to you, Bobbieka, and withdraw from the race. I would however be interested in being considered for a position as your vice president.

How's everyone else doing today? I wonder how Applekat's plane ride went. clearlyheaded, how are you feeling today?
Old 05-06-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
coulrophobia
And I just heard this word again. On a TV show. Two times in one day. Strange.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Pelagic263--I saw your post this morning on that reasons to drink thread. Lot of truth in that post. Hope you'll get back in here with us! Or start posting in the May class. Or start your own accountability thread. Or all three. We're here for you!
Thanks Casey. I'll be back, although I may stop by the May class as well. I think I understand why I fell off with such a vengeance. I mean I could have caught myself pretty quickly with the right kind of thinking. But the "splitting," or "all-or-nothing" thinking of a depressive got me once again. If I couldn't make it 100% sober than I should just be 100% drunk. All-or-nothing. I definitely have to work on some CBT stuff I think.

It's got to be 100% sober of course, ultimately, but God forbid it happens again, I can't let it go off the deep end like that. I did squeeze in a couple sober days there, but the rest...

Keep it up one and all. You guys, as always, rock!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I'm glad you didn't check my post count average , Casey...
Old 05-06-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
I'm glad you didn't check my post count average , Casey...
Whoa! You're up there in Dee and soberwolf territory! That's awesome. Seriously. Keep on doing what you're doing!

I know that all or nothing feeling all too well, Pelagic263. It's what made me disappear from here for a year or so starting in September 2013 and again for five months starting last year in October. Glad you're sticking around. We're here to offer all the support we can. You'll always be one of us.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Da tusler jeg i seng, folkens.

Going to bed. Hubby and his brother are music nerds and they're sitting here with their phones, discussing wildly. They don't get together too often, so it's actually very nice, but I'd rather sleep. Big day tomorrow.

Love you guys.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Sweet Dreams, Fabela! Enjoy tomorrow! Love you too, even though you may have been swearing at us in the first line.