Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 12

Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Pelagic, I've been a huge Big Star fan since I was in high school thanks to the constant championing of them by so many of my favorite bands like the Replacements and R.E.M. This documentary was pretty good, lot of cool old archival footage in there. It was probably 30 minutes too long but still glad I watched it.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Hoodoo Gurus, though only a handful of songs, but have never heard of the Lime Spiders. Look interesting, I'll try to dig into them some over the next couple of days.

For anyone who doesn't know what Pelagic and I are talking about, Big Star was an amazing pop rock band out of Memphis that put out three records in the 1970s that no one bought at the time but have now hugely influenced pretty much every alternative and indie rock band of the last 30+ years.

If you haven't heard of Big Star before, there's still a decent chance you've heard the band Cheap Trick's cover version of the Big Star song "In the Street." It was the theme song for years on the sitcom That 70s Show.

My two favorite Big Star songs, at least tonight:

Glad you checked in, PeacefulRain. Hope the stomach issues are short-lived.

Time for New Girl and bed. Sweet dreams everyone!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
English and Philosophy, Bobbieka.

Casey, glad you figured out who Big Star was, now try Lime Spiders and Hoodoo Gurus. Some old Australian stuff. I feel old. Let me know after that.
I also recommend the Sunnyboys

D
Old 05-03-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Sorry bout that nostalgic bit. Check out Alex Chilton's, of Big Star, "High Priest." but really only when you feel sober.

Sorry.

Feelin' kinda wrongo.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

The boob tube won 😝 I'm vegging out to everyone loves Raymond.

Thanks Casey, I hope so too.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whats 'feeling wrongo' Pelagic?

D
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Just the obvious. I'll shut up. Just miss all the head banging. How strange is that?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can still head bang sober - trust me

D
Old 05-03-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Old 05-04-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

The feeling from yesterday is still there, and I think this feeling is somehow related to the relatively (for me) unknown feeling "happy". Could it be? The sun is shining, birds are chirping, there's suddenly a lot of green stuff in the yard, I'm doing laundry (which smells wonderful), Charlie is calmer, I'm sober and quite a bit in love with my husband, and even the fact that my father is coming to do some gardening doesn't bother me. Hm. Might be.

I hope you wonderful people have a great day as well!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone - good to see all of you here, and welcome to the family SpaceGoat (that's a great name).

Fabela, I think it's great that you are exploring the better side of life. It's easy to get used to always being unhappy and unfulfilled. Keep focusing on the good thoughts and feelings - it makes the drinking so much easier to leave behind.

For all you Aussie band lovers, I have only 1 word .... SKYHOOKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6B9YXhZPrM
Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 53 very early (for me anyways). Thank goodness for coffee. 53 is kind of important for me as I've made it to this day twice before and drank--both times were long ago, 2003 and 2005. Assuming I make it through today (and I will) this will now be the third longest stint of continuous sobriety I've had since I started drinking in 1999. The other two longer times (69 days in 2013 and 145 days in 2015) were both after I discovered SR.

Going to go out junk and antique shopping with my dad this morning. Then this afternoon I've got the stupid bi-monthly work meeting that I always complain about in here. Only other plan for the day is a nap at some point.

I will also check out the Sunnyboys, Dee74. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have a copy of "High Priest", Pelagic263. Love it! Though I still like Alex Chilton's "Like Flies on Sherbert" better. As Dee said, no reason you can't head bang sober. I'll join you. Hope your Wednesday goes well.

The boob tube often wins at my house, PeacefulRain, and I feel no shame at all about that. At least now that I'm not drinking I can usually somewhat remember the shows I watched the night before.

Have a fantastisk Fourth, Fabela! It's OK to be happy. Just take it and run with it for as long as it lasts. Heck, my run has lasted for pretty much 53 days now and is still going strong.

Good morning, ManInTheArena! So yesterday was personality test day here in the Class of March 16 and now it's Australian band day. Like I said last night, I love the twists and turns our conversation here takes.

Shortest morning post for me yet. WAKE UP CLASS OF MARCH 2016!

Hope everyone has a happy and sober Wednesday. Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Casey, sweetie, you are going to make it to day 5300. You are not throwing it away this time.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been missing for awhile, but I'm getting back on track again. I've missed you all and really need your support I will NOT drink today, no matter what.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hooray, Ladybug2! You just made my morning.

You've also been missed in the July 13 class. I was singing, "Ladybug Two, looking for you!" to the tune of the Scooby Doo theme song.

Stick close. We're stronger together.

And is your new avatar more artwork from your daughter? If so, that's a big leap forward. Very nice!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Hiiiiii Bugsy! Welcome back!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Thanks, Casey. My daughter made that pic in my avatar for an art show at school. It makes me happy every time I look at it
Old 05-04-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Thanks, Fabela! Glad you are feeling better - I've been following the posts and know you were struggling.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Thanks, Casey and Applekat for your PM's
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Hey all. Think I will tend to my little plants and flowers this afternoon.

Need to move the houseplant into a bigger pot, then transplant some pansies together to make way for some alpines that I bought.

Also the vase, I had the most beautiful big bunch of rhododendrons but they are looking quite wilted now so I am hoping there is more where they came from (yoink!)

Also have 6 gourmet hot dogs in the fridge, so gonna sort them out for myself and some of the lads here after that, then off out to a step meeting which has a really nice vibe to it. It clashes with an aware meeting I was going to, but it is closer to me now.

Maybe I can alternate them going forward but really want to get speaking to a woman who attends this meeting as she approached me after another meeting where I spoke about the 'emotional flashback' I had been in the previous night and even still then. Thats about it.

Whats everyones plans for today?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Hi everybody. Hope your day is better than mine. I feel rotten! Hasn't been to long since my bender so I guess my body is still trying to heal.

Congrats Casey. I agree with Fabela about the 5300.