Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Part 12

Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Finishing day seven

Hi all. Welcome back fabela and congrats prple.

My day at work was fine. The only problem was in my head...I got tied up with a student and was late to a meeting--thought y boss would assume I was hungover or worse but I talked with her after and it was fine. Power

See, we make most of it up.

Take care guys. Maybe one day I'll learn to respond better

Oh went to group tonight
Old 05-02-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad to hear your worries about work were unfounded, Missy7! Hope group went well.

Funny video, LillianGish. The fascination with freeway names and numbers is definitely a California stereotype with some truth to it.

I think the rest of the US tends to think of Californians as not having an accent (aside from the surfer-ish ones spoofed in that sketch, though I think that's more a manner of speech than an accent) because we're so used to hearing that Californian "non accent" in TV and film. But it's still an accent all its own, just one that is most easily described as not being an accent at all. Kind of complicated that sentence up a little much, I think.

Veep was very funny. Hope Silicon Valley is too. I'm sure it will be. It's my favorite HBO show right now. I only watch Game of Thrones first so dummies won't spoil it for me online before I get to see it.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Administrator

The farther you go north here the more we all sound like Steve Irwin Immri lol

D
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

I don't think I have an accent - I just say "eh" alot....and "sorry"...lol

Work was long and I am back at it first thing tomorrow....when I got home tonight my first thought was "wow a glass of wine would be nice"
Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I haven't been able to keep up with the thread, but I hope you are all doing ok and those who are struggling can find serenity.

I am having a very hard time. I live with my son's father in an on again/off again relationship. In truth, he is an active addict/alcoholic with lots of anger issues and is verbally and emotionally abusive to me. I have tried many times to break it off. He won't leave. Once when I completely and soberly broke up with him, he caused a lot of drama saying he was going to kill himself and scared lots of people. If I wasn't the main bill-payer and owner of my home, I would have left long ago.

Per the advice of my recovering alcoholic younger brother who is a lawyer, I have issued J a legal eviction notice. He has 30 days to get out or the court will be involved. Of course this has not gone over well and he has been drinking, withholding what he OWES me for rent and bills, and basically raising hell in my home. He has taken 3 weeks off of work to detox himself off opiates. Which idk if he has done or not, but this is his last week off of work.

Last week, I caught him and his ex-wife snorting pills in my basement.

How I will make it through the next 29 days is beyond me. Plus he has so much crap here, I have no clue how he will get it all out in 29 days. I need a roommate ASAP who can help me with bills.

His mom and step-dad are supportive of me but also are enablers to him. I have not told my parents the whole truth but may need to because I may have to ask them if I can stay with them for a bit. I realize I am very lucky to have that option, I am just not sure if I am quite ready to break their hearts yet again with my burdens.

Our son just turned a year old. Please keep me in your prayers and I will keep you posted. I am sober, thank God.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Maybe a moderator can cross-post the above to the Friends and Family forum as well? I need all the support I can get right now. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

P.S. My little brother is 7 years sober
Old 05-03-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Jemma, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have any advice for you, but know that I'm thinking of you. Please update.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

I figured out how to cross-post from my phone to the Friends and Family Forum as well. Thank you Fabela.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Missy, glad to hear your mountain was a mole hill. ��

Jemma, wow, that is some very serious stuff you are dealing with. Lean on those who can help you. Stick to your guns and do what you know is right. Sometimes life is hard. It sounds like you are up to the the task. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Just getting my day started. Things have been going reasonably smoothly. It's nice not having to worry so much about being drunk or hung over. I've been having some crazy dreams, which I guess is better than a crazy real life?

I'm in the northeast. In the seven states around me there are plenty of regional accents. New York State itself has at least 4 distinct ones. It's pretty interesting to think about.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Day five here and still sober despite feeling a bit defeated today....not really sure where it's coming from....maybe being tired after working until 1am and then being up again for 6am?? Wow - after reading that back to myself I had to laugh....yepp....4ish hours of sleep....I'm tired....lol. So going to keep a diligent eye on that today as I know it can be a trigger.

Jemma - you sure have a lot on your plate but it sounds like your parents are a great supportive option for you right now. I am sending thoughts and prayers your way

MITA - I agree!! Waking up sober is a pretty great feeling! It always amazes me how productive I can truly be!

Well I better get back to work. I have a feeling that it is going to be a caffeine infused day!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Eh, I don't have an accent!

Good morning Marchers. I am marching forward but very very overtired and frazzled. I am feeling quite silly with my life triggers because they are nothing compared to what several of you have faced and/or are facing. I am in awe of each of you who come back and keep at it. Love you all.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Everyone always comments that I have an odd accent. I was born in Guantanamo Bay Cuba and spent the first fours years of my life in Virginia and Wisconsin. Mum and Dad split and she bought us to Australia when I was 4yo by which time I would have had an American accent....so I guess it's slowly evolved into some kind of mutant American/Australian dialect. Hubby is always teasing me about it...saying it's due to my Cuban heritage....despite the fact that I was born in Gitmo on a US naval base. My kids ended up with weird accents too....but that probably due to learning the odd pronunciations from me. Interestingly my 10yo son had a stroke a number of years back which affected his speech and he has a distinct German accent....everyone comments on it.
Day 9 coming to a close. All my joints are aching....hopefully I'm not coming down with the dreaded lurgy. Love you guys xxx
Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 52. I could have a deck of cards now with one card for each day of sobriety. Today would be the Ace of Spades.

So I turned off my bedroom lights at 11:59 pm last night, at least an hour and a half earlier than I'd done at any time previously over the last month. Obviously my internal clock needs some more fine tuning as my goal was to wake up at 8:30 this morning yet here I am wide awake at 7:30. That's OK though. It was nice solid sleep.

Off work today. No real plans. I'll probably go to a noon meeting. If not I'll go to an 8 pm meeting. If I do go to the noon meeting, I think I'll eat some Thai food. I may go check out all the thrift stores around town as well. Haven't done that in a while. I love looking through other people's old junk, though all I usually end up buying is books.

Do you say "sorry" or "soary", samantha14? Hope you have nice, easy day at work this morning and that you can get a nice, long nap as soon as you get off work.

That is an awful situation, Jemma44. Sounds like you are doing the right thing for both you and your child by serving that eviction notice. Wish I had some good advice to give but just know you have my sympathy and I will most definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Remember that drinking will only make the situation worse--we're here anytime you need help with that or just need to vent about the whole situation. And I'm glad you have your brother in your life both for the legal advice and support and for the example of sobriety.

Good morning, Fabela. Hope you have a fantastisk day.

Now I'm picturing your Good Humour kid having a thick upstate New York accent for some reason, ManInTheArena.

I was laying in bed last night after I turned the lights out and all of a sudden thought, "Applekat didn't post in the class today. Oh no!" First thing I did this morning before I even opened this thread up was check and see that you had been here already this morning. Always feel free to let us know what's going on with you. All our issues/triggers are important, big or small. Hope you have a nice day!

That's very interesting about your international early childhood, Mish. Thanks for sharing! Hope the joint aches go away with a good night's sleep.

Wow, when you wake up early, these long posts are much shorter. Can I go back to sleep now?

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Tuesday.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Yo, hello! I took my last drink in March so I guess I should be posting in here?

It wasn't a big drink or anything, or certainly not for pleasure purposes but trying to explain that to the guy that wanted to be my sponsor? Pffft.

It was a really nice day yano, and I had nowhere to go from like the morning to the night. So I did the usual crap, walked around the block a few times, sat on a wall for a while here and then there.

And then I start to get the heebie jeebies like, F? Why I'm doing this? This is exactly what I'm doing like 25 years ago, sheeeeit… (I think its a trigger for me yano)

So I decided to be proactive and hop on a bus to the seaside, because it was a lovely day. Only I didn't anticipate that half the country would have the same idea, so the place was mobbed- not good! Anyways I walked up and down the village for a while, yano, and my headphones hat and shades so was semi incognito but my stomach was at my since the morning all the same. Bumped into an old flame then just to top things off!

So I ended up in the shop anyway. I had this word 'motillium' in my head, and was hovering about the medicine isle. Except, I don't know anything about that stuff. Found myself over at the booze isle (know a bit about that stuff) the back at the medicine isle etc.

Came to the conclusion anyway that it was beer that would ease my stomach pain ( true enough) and also enable me to hide out somewhere without looking weird.

So thats what I did. I sat in a field just off the golf course and away from all the action, drank 6 cans and my stomach pain went away. Then I hopped on the last bus into town and went to a meeting, nobody even suspected I'd had a drink but I told them anyway, truthfully like.

Guy I was getting a lift to that meeting with then proceeds to berate me for the following weeks on end about this, how I was now clinically insane because 6 cans, that the circumstances or anything didn't matter and so forth. He would also ask me how my day was, I would tell him what was going on with me- and he would bring up the six cans again from MArch!!! Like he trying to guilt me or something wtf?

Anyways, we have since somewhat amicably went our separate ways and TF for that. I self flagellate enough, I don't need another person doing it too.

Well thats all for now, taking it ham n' cheesy since.

Nice to meet you all, peace
Old 05-03-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to the Class of March 2016, SpaceGoat.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Thanks, Casey! Still here!

Enjoy your Ace of Spades day.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Hi SpaceGoat! Glad you could join us on our sober bus!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

It's weird seeing night time people here this early.

Good morning people!

Welcome SpaceGoat. We've been talking about different regional accents and I feel like I can hear yours through your typing. Congratulations on quitting in March. March is a great month to start seeking sobriety.

Casey - I thought about Apple this morning also. Good to see you Applekat. Can't do anything out of your ordinary or we worry. lol

Also looking for Ladybug and Ladyboo. Hope things are going well Ladies.

Jemma - my prayers are with you to find a peaceful outcome to your situation. Keep doing the next right thing (as Casey says) and remember you are doing it for that baby.

That's it for the moment. Going to work for a while.

Love my class!!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Sam - definitely be kind to yourself on that amount of sleep. Have a plan in place for today/tonight. The "T" in HALT is my downfall.

(I think that emoticon is for sunburn but it is what I wish I was doing for just a day lol.)