View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

Pelagic, I've been a huge Big Star fan since I was in high school thanks to the constant championing of them by so many of my favorite bands like the Replacements and R.E.M. This documentary was pretty good, lot of cool old archival footage in there. It was probably 30 minutes too long but still glad I watched it.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Hoodoo Gurus, though only a handful of songs, but have never heard of the Lime Spiders. Look interesting, I'll try to dig into them some over the next couple of days.

For anyone who doesn't know what Pelagic and I are talking about, Big Star was an amazing pop rock band out of Memphis that put out three records in the 1970s that no one bought at the time but have now hugely influenced pretty much every alternative and indie rock band of the last 30+ years.

If you haven't heard of Big Star before, there's still a decent chance you've heard the band Cheap Trick's cover version of the Big Star song "In the Street." It was the theme song for years on the sitcom That 70s Show.

My two favorite Big Star songs, at least tonight:

Glad you checked in, PeacefulRain. Hope the stomach issues are short-lived.

Time for New Girl and bed. Sweet dreams everyone!