Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Who else is dealing with falling back on other bad habits? I really am finding it's getting old having to undo a lot of impulse purchases I've done over the past few months. It's very frustrating because most of them were done totally sober with different intentions.

I'm starting to think of myself as an open flame. Pour booze on and KABOOM! Turns out there is more than one source of combustion in my life... Once upon a time I used to think I had my **** together when I was sober. Now it's like learning how to walk and talk again. I am liking none of this. Can't make good drunk decisions, can't make good sober ones... Fail wagon.

Hopefully tomorrow brings some better direction. I am going to write your words in my recovery book D. They hit me the right way today. Thanks guys for all your positivity and loves in all this.
How do you feel today Dalizadee? I am eating quite a bit. I figure the increased calories from eating is offset by the loss of drinking calories.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sadie1 View Post
Day 13.
Go Sadie !!!!
Cheering you on !
Old 03-03-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Morning guys.

The positivity here really helps. You're right, this is a great class.
Me, I'm trying to work on recommitting. My head is in negative space and doesn't want to leave. It's like I've slipped from thoughts cravings straight into drinker's mindset. All the old anxieties, fears, and resentments are coming out screaming and I am miserable. I find myself fantasizing and planning drinking. Raaarrgh!!
Meeting with my new counselor this afternoon. I'm going to try doing some step work before I go again.
xoxo thanks for being here you guys.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Thanks 360, Mel and Old Tomato.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

I'm looking at a pack of Reese's cups and a bag of beef jerky. I'm not even thinking about drinking.
( Probly gonna end up needing insulin before this is over) ! Lol
I haven't eaten either if those things in at least 3-4 yrs
I feel like if I REALLY want to change, really do it different, I'm gonna have to DO different. Even making mistakes and doing something wrong, yet different is better than the same old deadly drinking cycle.
Our AV has convinced us over the years that alcohol won't kill us.
I mean, who here is suicidal, all the time? I want live.
I also am drooling with some food cravings.
Sorry for the ramble. It's midday here, and today we are free.
Free----
Old 03-03-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

GG - Don't let seeing your medical record trigger you, it's just there to ensure you get the help you need. It's the start of your recovery.
And yes, I got lost!! I'm quite happy working with AA so I'm not too bothered by it.

Delizadee - You'll be up and down like that sometimes, just keep pushing through it and you'll start to feel better. A lot of people I've met have told me that they were absolutely miserable in early recovery, you wouldn't think it looking at them now! It's your AV telling you you're better off drinking and it's LYING. What are the positives of you not picking up a drink? List them.

JL - Tell me about it! I've spent such a long time barely eating anything and now suddenly I'm spending all my money on food. Madness!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
I just found a useful and motivating account of alcohol withdrawal symptoms day by day, based on a compilation of actual testimonials. For instance, you can look up "day 4" symptoms, mild, moderate, or severe, as reported by people. Interestingly, it continues to compile accounts of people even for day counts higher than 30.

Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms Day by Day
Mel that is good stuff.
I'm saving it as someone else also commented, it goes beyond a few beginning days.
Thank you for sharing it !
Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Phew took me a while to read through all the posts. Having been a member of several different "Month" groups over the years this is the most lively and supportive ever! Day 4 but really feeling a ton of energy now having gone a few weeks with only weekend drinking and now taking B12! Lovin it!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

JL - check out the calorie count on that jerky. Very low and its lean protein.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Cococoooooooooo . . . . we miss youuuuuuuuuu . . . . .
Old 03-03-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Optimist I'm seeing the results of the weakened immune system too.
I hope you get to feeling better soon.
I'm feeling really strong sweets cravings past 2 days. Lot of crackers and chocolate cookies . I'm gonna get fatter, but I'm not getting drunk.
Thankful to be sober with y'all !!!
Hope you are on the mend soon, JL!

Well, my cravings are mostly for savory, salty things and right now I'm craving sushi. I burned out both my grandsons on it but I just can't get enough. In fact, that would be dinner if I had any tastebuds! This virus has killed them. I did manage to get a huge pot of chicken soup going and hopefully that will clear me up!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

PHRD - B12 works wonders. Well done on getting to Day 4! I don't know about the rest of you but I always seemed to find Day 3 really difficult.

Optimist - Chicken soup can solve anything. Hope you can kick that virus soon.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

I'm gonna be a cry baby for a minute OK.... I won't make this a habit.

So, I'm reading under the influence, its taking about how our cells actually adapt to the alcohol intake and thus we progress in alcoholism. I always share whatever I'm reading with SO. I was telling him about it last night and he says, it's a bunch of propaganda. What about what we eat, that's not good for us, what about smoking. Etc etc. Then proceeds to talk about one or two drinks in the future on an occasion where he "feels like it".

He's not drinking either, and has been devoted. But his comments really irked me. First of all he's already making excuses for a future drink. Second, he's trying to discredit proven scientific fact just because he doesn't want to hear it and third. We eat healthy so that comment is annoying.

It just really rubbed me wrong. I know this is a personal decision for each of us. I know the control freak in me is irritated by this. And feel free to tell me that.... Anyway, thoughts?!?!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Day 12 really liked my new psychologist yesterday... Also went to a AA speaker meeting. Those are really the only ones I like. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
Then proceeds to talk about one or two drinks in the future on an occasion where he "feels like it"
Experiment: start me out with "one or two" drinks.

Experimental results: bad things happen--increasingly bad, the more the experiment is repeated.

Confidence interval: 100%

Though the above is not science, it is factual. I do not need to repeat the experiment any more.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Experiment: start me out with "one or two" drinks.

Experimental results: bad things happen--increasingly bad, the more the experiment is repeated.

Confidence interval: 100%

Though the above is not science, it is factual. I do not need to repeat the experiment any more.
I feel the same way!!! I don't know if it was a bad brain moment on his part or if he's considering it. But it kind if freaks me out!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
I did manage to get a huge pot of chicken soup going and hopefully that will clear me up!
I'm going to make soup tonight too, the easiest one I know, because my nose won't stop running! Caldo verde - Portuguese soup consisting of linguiça [not the healthiest, I know, but oh so good], potatoes, a LOT of greens, and that's about it!

I too miss Coco. She's very inspirational! I'm sure she'll be back; she's probably just busy.

edit: ok, I'm going to try B12 again. I've just got to check for any contraindications… If I recall correctly, it was niacin that I took, that made me all flushed and crazy feeling.

I bought some very dark chocolate. Don't remember which thread is talking about it, but they say it works wonders in early phases of recovery/ detox.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

360 - Like you said, it's up to him and he'd probably resent any argument. The thought of not drinking ever again can be scary and lead to that kind of thinking. Let's hope he doesn't act on it, and don't let it affect your own recovery. Mel summed it up perfectly.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Wow Mel that withdrawal link is a good link to go if ever tempted. Thanks for that link. Sure reminds me how it is like.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

CuteNGay - Well done on Day 12! Almost at two weeks! I've found AA meetings without a speaker to be really awkward. Not sure if that's just because I'm a newbie.