Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

I'm proud of me. I think I'm on day 16 and I've only left the house twice. Today was my first trip to the grocery store. I've been concerned about walking past the wine and beer isles. I did it! Not only did I not look at the beer and wine but I didn't buy any junk or processed foods either! And then I stopped at another store for cigarettes. It's probably the only time I've walked out of that store without beer. The feeling is empowering.

I hope everyone is enjoying their sober day!
Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

360, can you ask him to please not drink around you? As in, do it on his own time? That's what my husband is doing, though assures me he is not overdoing it, like he did in the past.

He will be coming with me to my next AA meeting, and we discussed what he was going to say, if pressed to introduce himself. He is a former alcoholic, in my opinion [and I think he knows it too, deep down, but is in denial], but aren't you always one, even if you use but no longer abuse EtOH? Please advise.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
I'm gonna be a cry baby for a minute OK.... I won't make this a habit.

So, I'm reading under the influence, its taking about how our cells actually adapt to the alcohol intake and thus we progress in alcoholism. I always share whatever I'm reading with SO. I was telling him about it last night and he says, it's a bunch of propaganda. What about what we eat, that's not good for us, what about smoking. Etc etc. Then proceeds to talk about one or two drinks in the future on an occasion where he "feels like it".

He's not drinking either, and has been devoted. But his comments really irked me. First of all he's already making excuses for a future drink. Second, he's trying to discredit proven scientific fact just because he doesn't want to hear it and third. We eat healthy so that comment is annoying.

It just really rubbed me wrong. I know this is a personal decision for each of us. I know the control freak in me is irritated by this. And feel free to tell me that.... Anyway, thoughts?!?!
I know for me, I couldn't stay sober when my SO was drinking. So our relationship is an absolute no-go so long as he's drinking. Ignorance is bliss for him, he has the gift of no memory of all his destructive drinking he's done. It bothers me a lot because he can't see how hard I struggled in the past year and how his drinking also contributed to the breakdown of our relationship and family.

I don't think it would be wrong to calmly tell him that you'd appreciate full support from him while you are in early recovery, including not sharing thoughts of future use and knocking down things you believe are helping you.
And in the end, you may or may not be able to get through to him. But we have to continue to be the masters of our own ships and not let outside influences affect our sobriety.

I know every other time I sobered up, I was too weak to stay sober being around my SO and his friends and family who drank.. It lead to a lot of resentments and anger for me. This time around I have to protect myself that way. I have to be my own support.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

The others are right 360, he can make his own decisions but should respect that you're in early recovery and don't need to be hearing these things right now!

Auggie - Well done on Day 16! Walking past the alcohol in the supermarket is difficult, but you stayed strong and you're right to be proud of yourself!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, thank you so much for caring about me. I logged in this morning to a lot of private messages. Im still reading and slightly keeping up with things here. I am so glad youre doing so well. Im sorry I just left without notice. Youre all like my friends and family and I shouldn't have just abandoned the thread the way I did. Im just in desperate self preservation mode and trying to solely focus on getting and staying out of bed at the moment, and staying sober. I miss you all. I will be back when I clip my wings back on. Luv Coco
Old 03-03-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by 360startstoday View Post
I don't know if it was a bad brain moment on his part or if he's considering it. But it kind if freaks me out!
Hi 360 - I have a very smart friend who has cited studies that suggest moderate drinking is a good solution. I am sure that my friend and the scientists she quotes are very smart. These smart folk are going to be debating "moderation," "is alcoholism a disease?"--and all the rest-for a long, long, long, long time.

Being too exhausted for debates or for experimenting with moderation, I just totally quit drinking. Problem solved.

No doubt junk scientists will soon "publish on the internet" an article titled "A fifth of vodka a day keeps the doctor away!" I am sure it will attract a million believers and internet clicks. I might click on it myself. But I guarantee you I will be sober when I do it.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Thanks 360, Mel and Old Tomato.
I don't think you like me :-/
Old 03-03-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

I am leaving this class. Take care
Old 03-03-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
It's probably the only time I've walked out of that store without beer.
Auggie--great work! You really did it.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Coco - Great to hear from you! I was starting to get worried, as we all were. Hope things get sorted in your life soon, keep us updated where possible.

Mel - The doctor tried to convince me to consider drinking in moderation at first, I figured it was to cut the costs of detox. I told him straight that it was definitely not a possibility for me. As I've said before, with me, and a lot of us here, it's all or nothing!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Awww please don't let your impression of 1 poster make you leave us. I'm back now. We can all get along, I promise. Please know that I like you very much and I care about you.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

I don't think you like me :-/
I honestly feel as thought OOTT does like you. He didn't not mention you intentionally. I've done that too. Sometimes you miss posts. Sometimes you haven't got the times to read them all. We have probably all done it unintentionally. I know there's been heaps of times where I've just been overlooked. Yeah I take it a bit personally for a second because I'm very sensitive, but then I just get over it. I try not to let other people's hang ups effect me.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

My goodness.....you lot are a bunch of gas bags. You sure do post a lot!!! Lol. I'm going to have to read all day to get through the last 4 days of posts. I've missed you all and I'm looking forward to hearing about what you've all been up to.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Please don't go.

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success. Henry Ford
Old 03-03-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!!! I'm really hoping it was just a fleeting thing for him, it's not going to go over well if he drinks again. I've been so proud of him!!

I do think the argument of moderation and alcoholism will be a lifelong argument.

Knb.... You're joking right??
Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

knb - Coco's right, it's really easy to miss people's posts. We post a lot in this class!

360 - If I'm going out I'll say to myself that I can just be social drinker. It's only a fleeting thought, I know I can't do that! Hopefully he won't act on it and was just voicing a brief temptation.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Knb I hope you're joking, that doesn't sound like the knb we know and love!! If you're not kidding I'm so confused!
Old 03-03-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Cococo good to see you, and I understand the self-preservation mode. These past few days I've been getting up, taking care of kids, going to bed. Very mellow. Reflecting.

I am so darn proud of you all hitting milestones and never giving up. Inspirational.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

What? Why? What happened? I just got out of work to see this... what's going on..?
Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Heck I'm still AT work, and I missed something.
Knb , I don't think that somebody dislikes you... Honest.
By the way my names Jeff, and I'm an alcoholic.
We're all just people here to support sobriety.
Don't go.