Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-09-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I am back and trying again, I had 138 days sober and thought I could drink moderately again so I started on New Years Eve with 1 glass of wine, I controlled my drinking for a while and still haven't gone out of control but it is slowly creeping back in so I am back. I need help..
Old 03-09-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, its the afternoon of day 4 here, and like you Ladybug am feeling better- calmer and had a great nights sleep which helps.

Welcome lein, hopefully we'll never have to have another day one again, also I've been on those sort of 'work programme' type things in past and have needed drink to do them. Can't you say that you were ill (technically true) and had to leave early? Anyway hope it turns out ok for you mate.

Yeah Ive had a few classes too, check in with many of them and have made good friends along the way but I hope and pray that this will be my last one. February 2013 was my first so that's over 3 years of trying, must say though that over those 3 years my periods of time sober has increased and my last 'effort' of 7months is the longest I've been sober since I started drinking at 15. But I want to STAY stopped this time!

forabetterlife- totally get you with the fantasy of sobriety being perfect and when bad things happen I think 'this isn't fair, this isn't what I signed up for!' When everything is going great its like I'm seeing a reward for being sober and when things go wrong I think 'this is why I drank, its because life stinks!!!!'

And yeah what you said about making up for lost time ManInTheArena
rang true with me, its all or nothing and when I turn the tap back on it stays running and the fear of withdrawal then keeps it going even longer. Hoping I can keep the floodgates closed this time.

Glad you're feeling better peaceful loved the elsa journal reference!!- that and nmd's pussywillow made me laugh out loud for the first time in ages!!

Have a great sober day class, keep on doing the next right thing and one step at a time we'll do this.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostLilly View Post
I have made such a mess out of my life. I have hurt so many people. I have gotten in trouble with the law and am so scared. My marriage is falling apart. I just sit and cry because I cannot drive. No one else has to beg for a ride to an AA meeting. I just need to vent. I feel hopeless. I hope everyone had a better day than me. I know I cannot drink since that caused my life to fall apart. My advise is to stop and stay stopped before a cascade of awful events hit. I never thought this would be my life and it is.

Lilly
Been there Lily. My family is watching me closely, waiting for that tell that I've had a drink. I refuse. Right now, be the best you that you can be. The rest will take care of itself. When I say, I've been there, it was just 2 weeks ago. The healing will start. We're all here.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

I believe it's time for me to join a class, and I would love to be a "Marcher!"

I've spent a little while this morning reading this thread and I can relate to so many here. Yesterday was another Day #1 for me. I totally blew almost 10 months of sobriety. I'm not really sure how it started, but the feeling of being a "misfit" or being "left out" started to hit me pretty hard. I wanted to be a normie and drink a glass of wine after work or have a beer on a nice warm day on the deck... Ugh. I think we all know what happens after that right? Such a slippery slope. There's a reason why I quit and joined this wonderful community last year. I always have to remember that. I'm not a normie and I never will be.

After feeling sorry for myself all day yesterday and crying how I much a suck at life, I'm back and feeling better on Day #2... this time I will reach out to SR when those feelings of being left out and wanting to be a "normie" drinker start in again.

One day at a time.....
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Ya'll are looking good!

Keep it up ladies and gents. You'll be so glad you did.

I just need to comment on God working in mysterious ways. I had quit pain pills in 2012, then quit tobacco. I thought I was free from addiction at that point. Needless to say, all my addictive "powers" went to alcohol.

It took completely bottoming out for me to wake up and see my true addictive nature. Or at least begin to address my issues. In my case, a couple major character flaws needed to be fixed like lying and avoidance.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Theresa1234 View Post
I am here for another attempt. I'm in to stop drinking as of 1st March. I really need to reset my brain to not want alcohol 5 nights a week. I want to know what it's like to be free of alcohol!
I wish you the best Theresa! I have been sober from alcohol for 10 days now. I went to a detox unit and I'm currently waiting on a bed for a 28 day program. Stay strong and positive
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Tip of the day

Some days are good, some days are bad. Or better yet, some hours are good, others are bad.

Some of that is out of our control as our brain and body repairs itself. However, we DO have the ability to make the experience BETTER, and often times, turn bad times to good times.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
If you're craving, spend a few seconds and take inventory. Try to determine what brought that on. If you can pinpoint the cause, then you can address it the immediate craving and/or prevent future ones.

HALT.
it's an acronym that represents the most common causes of cravings. All you do is focus on yourself for a bit (mindfulness) and take inventory. Are you;
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

ANOTHER use of halt that had a MAJOR impact on my quit was dealing with depression. Any time I was feeling blue, I would ask myself the same questions and almost always found something that needed to be addressed.

I also found it useful, for a while anyway, to write HALT on a post it note. I tried my very best NOT TO GET hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. An ounce of prevention...

There's plenty of good info here on how to fix HALT issues as well as online. Spend a few minutes digging in and I bet ya anything you'll pick up a few more tools to add to your bag!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Administrator

Surrender, good to see you back and you can get those 10 months sober back and then some. It takes a shift in perception to move from feeling like a misfit because you don't drink, to feeling like a strong, capable person because you are a recovering alcoholic. Believe in yourself and be kind to yourself.

1steup, you're finishing up Day 4 - fantastic!

elizke, recognizing that we can never drink again or control our drinking is a big step forward in recovery.

Bobbie, 2 weeks sober is fantastic and I'm glad you're seeing positive results.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hi all. I apologize in advance for the long post... This is an introspect that I need to get out...

I have been on SR off and on for three and a half years, mainly as a lurker, but I have never really told my story. I am 48 years old and I have been a professional drinker for the last 32 of those years. See, that is the polite way of telling myself that I have been a drunk since I was 16! I didn't really intend to give it another shot at sobriety this time, I just woke up tired of being tired. I finally had to take stock of the life I had chosen to live. Here goes...

I was a gifted athlete in high school and early college, but that wasn't what turned my crank. I chose alcohol over fame and glory and partied away my chance to continue my career in sports. I have had some of the most beautiful and special people who wanted to be a part of my life. Most of them I let walk away, or I chased them away because alcohol wasn't a priority in their lives and so they stopped being a priority in mine. I never got in trouble with the law, never got fired from a job, so it was easier to lie to myself for most of my alcoholic years into believing that I really didn't have a drinking problem, I just liked beer and whiskey more than most other people did. I have had wonderful things happen around me in my life, that I mostly don't remember all of the details about through the haze of the mass amounts of alcohol that I was drinking while they happened. My children, now adults, grew up thinking it was normal for dad to get home from work, open the first beer by six o'clock and keep drinking past when they went to bed.

Today I woke up with one of the worst hangovers I can remember. But it was not from drinking, it was from my body detoxing for the 8th night of not drinking. See even now the alcohol is still making me feel like ****! I think I am better armed now. I have been WEAK. And I have been AFRAID. Right now I am just PISSED OFF at all of the time I have wasted.

As Forrest Gump would say "And that's all I got to say about that."

I hope you all have a great day!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Tip of the day

Some days are good, some days are bad. Or better yet, some hours are good, others are bad.

Some of that is out of our control as our brain and body repairs itself. However, we DO have the ability to make the experience BETTER, and often times, turn bad times to good times.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
If you're craving, spend a few seconds and take inventory. Try to determine what brought that on. If you can pinpoint the cause, then you can address it the immediate craving and/or prevent future ones.

HALT.
it's an acronym that represents the most common causes of cravings. All you do is focus on yourself for a bit (mindfulness) and take inventory. Are you;
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

ANOTHER use of halt that had a MAJOR impact on my quit was dealing with depression. Any time I was feeling blue, I would ask myself the same questions and almost always found something that needed to be addressed.

I also found it useful, for a while anyway, to write HALT on a post it note. I tried my very best NOT TO GET hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. An ounce of prevention...

There's plenty of good info here on how to fix HALT issues as well as online. Spend a few minutes digging in and I bet ya anything you'll pick up a few more tools to add to your bag!
Great advice... Thank you!
Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Believe in yourself and be kind to yourself.
I'm working on it... thank you Anna
Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by elizke View Post
I am back and trying again, I had 138 days sober and thought I could drink moderately again so I started on New Years Eve with 1 glass of wine, I controlled my drinking for a while and still haven't gone out of control but it is slowly creeping back in so I am back. I need help..
Elizke if you've relapsed, DON'T GIVE UP! If you make a mistake, which you have recognized (most people aren't strong enough to do that so I applaud you!) understand you are not starting over at 0. You gained knowledge and experience from those 138 days and those days aren't lost. Keep yourself busy and consider going to meetings in your area. You got this!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ColoradoMan View Post
Hi all. I apologize in advance for the long post... This is an introspect that I need to get out...

I have been on SR off and on for three and a half years, mainly as a lurker, but I have never really told my story. I am 48 years old and I have been a professional drinker for the last 32 of those years. See, that is the polite way of telling myself that I have been a drunk since I was 16! I didn't really intend to give it another shot at sobriety this time, I just woke up tired of being tired. I finally had to take stock of the life I had chosen to live. Here goes...

I was a gifted athlete in high school and early college, but that wasn't what turned my crank. I chose alcohol over fame and glory and partied away my chance to continue my career in sports. I have had some of the most beautiful and special people who wanted to be a part of my life. Most of them I let walk away, or I chased them away because alcohol wasn't a priority in their lives and so they stopped being a priority in mine. I never got in trouble with the law, never got fired from a job, so it was easier to lie to myself for most of my alcoholic years into believing that I really didn't have a drinking problem, I just liked beer and whiskey more than most other people did. I have had wonderful things happen around me in my life, that I mostly don't remember all of the details about through the haze of the mass amounts of alcohol that I was drinking while they happened. My children, now adults, grew up thinking it was normal for dad to get home from work, open the first beer by six o'clock and keep drinking past when they went to bed.

Today I woke up with one of the worst hangovers I can remember. But it was not from drinking, it was from my body detoxing for the 8th night of not drinking. See even now the alcohol is still making me feel like ****! I think I am better armed now. I have been WEAK. And I have been AFRAID. Right now I am just PISSED OFF at all of the time I have wasted.

As Forrest Gump would say "And that's all I got to say about that."

I hope you all have a great day!
Coloradoman, thank you so much for sharing your story. I can relate and I'm sure many others can as well.
I'm an alcoholic too and I have the same sort of feelings, things I've thrown away, things I've f***** up, lost memories, wasted time but the past is the past and dwelling on it usually makes me depressed instead of looking positively toward the future.

Two things stood out to me about your post.

1) You are NOT weak, quite the opposite actually because you realize you have a problem and want to change THAT IS STRONG!

2) You have been 8 DAYS SOBER! That is a HUGE accomplishment. I have been 10 days sober myself and I had to go into a detox unit to make sure I'd stick with it (and well, to hopefully not die from my withdrawal...so I feel your pain there)

It's hard to do this on your own so I hope you have a support system, look into meetings or programs in your area because it really does help.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Thanks Magnetic.

I am fortunate that I have a strong group of supporters around me. I have a family of non-drinkers (I am the only one who took to alcohol) to help prop me up when I need it. Just recently moved to a new state so I am looking up meeting places near my new home.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Good morning on day 9 seriously! Went to an aa meeting last night and thinking of going to another today if I can get some energy. Last night had a coffee and it made me tired so I'm not sure I'm normal anymore lol. Going to,a meeting will depend on weather my husband is willing to drive me, he is stubborn and he really doesn't believe in this aa so,we will see. I need the support that he isn't giving me so I need to go. But anyways yay day 9!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrender2win View Post
I wanted to be a normie and drink a glass of wine after work or have a beer on a nice warm day on the deck... Ugh. I think we all know what happens after that right? Such a slippery slope. There's a reason why I quit and joined this wonderful community last year. I always have to remember that. I'm not a normie and I never will be.
Being only on day 14 sober I find myself thinking, "One day I'll have a glass of wine when out traveling or something." Then I remember that ONE glass NEVER happens I know this. I know that I will NEVER be a normie....just won't happen. I truly understand this now and slowly excepting it. Pisses me off, makes me so mad but at the end of the day realizing it and excepting it is some how making being sober easier (not sure that's the right word) for me. For the first time I have realized that I really do have a drinking problem. Sorry for going on, your post just really hit a cord with me.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Hey team. I'd like to join the class.

Day 1 for me. Back at it.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome FacingFuture!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hi FacingFuture! this is a great class and it has helped me so much already- welcome aboard friend!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
Hey team. I'd like to join the class.

Day 1 for me. Back at it.
Welcome!