Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Stay strong Mera! Welcome new classmates and those from another month. I was a member of a few other classes too! I think I am on day 17! Had drinking dreams the past 2 nights. I have had this happen before but it kinda throws me off when I wake suddenly from a dream that I am drinking and looking around for more. Thankfully just a dream! Today I am spending the afternoon with a friend and going to an AA meeting tonight. I have started making some friends through AA and that is really nice since most of my other friends are drinkers. Some normal drinkers and some heavy drinkers. Have a great day everyone.

Lilly
Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Woke up to day 12 of being sober and so proud of myself for making it through the long weekend. My DH and I spent Friday and Saturday working out back in our yard, and I'm not going to lie a cold beer sounded like heaven. Instead I made up a refreshing fruit drink! Yesterday another challenge, lunch at our favorite brewery up north....ordered an ice tea! Over the weekend DH and I had a real heart to heart talk regarding my not drinking and he actually seemed really supportive. Having found these boards has also been a blessing. I feel like it has helped keep me honest with myself.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers!

It's great to see some of you get through the first week! Serious congrats are due!!

And how about those who just made their first weekend sober! Yeah baby! That didn't happen by accident and I know it can be a white knuckle ride. Congrats to you too!!

Every day after the first week for better in some way or another. It really helps if you take the time to notice those improvements. Stop and smell the roses you could say.

So, that brings me to my tip of the day:

GRATITUDE LIST.

Many of us, if not all of us, have lived a life with negative self talk, negative outlooks, or feeling like a victim (not to take away the seriousness from those who really are victims. Just couldn't find a better word).

Its an amazing transformation when you change your view from only seeing negativity to only seeing positivity. You may know a few people who see everything as a positive. "Thank God I still have one leg", "at least I didn't die". Ok...those are a little extreme. But you get the point.

Us alcoholics are mostly not programmed that way. It might have started all the way back to how your parents talked to you or each other! But most of us do not naturally think of the positives.

Making a gratitude list every day is the best way to change that outlook. And with a positive outlook, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

Nothing stops you from greatness other than yourself. I'm sure you've heard stories of poor people making themselves rich, handicapped people doing what most people can't. The difference between them and you is right between the ears.

Making a gratitude journal is one of the most effective methods of changing how you view the world and your role in it.

I could go on for pages and pages. I'm having a hard time finding s stopping point. So let me finish with a link to just one of many experiences posted online from people who started Gratitude lists.

http://www.chriswinfield.com/gratitude-lists/
Old 03-07-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Wake me up for a very solid day 8. I do have a doctors appointment today where she's going to give me a hard time. I'll just have to get through it. Group tonight.

I'm super busy right now so I can't read many posts, but, I hope all you guys are doing well and being strong.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Administrator

Missy, Enjoy Day 8 and good luck at the dr.

Kate, it sounds like you're making great progress. Good to know your husband is on your side.

Lostlilly, congratulations on Day 17 and I'm glad you're making friends at AA.

Supersonic, I'm glad you're back! There is no end to the bad things that happen to us when we're drinking. I spent half my time planning how to hide my drinking and the other half trying to clean up phone calls I'd made while drinking, returning things I'd bought and on and on.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hi all, quick call in but I'll post in more detail later, Day 2 and it feels like the calm after the storm a bit, glad to be sober but also kicking myself for letting it all happen AGAIN, thought I had it licked this time after the 7months off it. Eating a bit more today but still weak, need to be kind to myself eat well for week, drink some smoothies, get to a few AA meetings and try and ignore those negative thoughts and look to the future...
Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome ladybug

I think the key is to do something different this time.

Have you any ideas on what you could add to what you've been doing?

D
Yes, you are right Dee because what I have been doing isn't working, long term anyway. I can get to a couple of weeks and then it all goes south again. Went to the gym this morning and going to an AA meeting this afternoon, where I am planning on sharing (which I never do). I also had a talk with my husband about not having any alcohol in house and not hosting family gatherings anymore since everyone is always drinking. I haven't been honest with my husband and mom (the 2 closest ppl in my life) about how bad it has gotten so doing that today with my mom. I know I need to change some things/routines in my life, especially in the evenings when I an always struggling. It's hard with a husband who works a lot of evenings and 2 little ones, but something has to change.

Day 2 and feeling better physically, but mentally I am still full of shame, regret and anxiety. This is no way to live. I know how much better life is sober so why can't it be easier. It should just be a no brainer.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Ladybug...
That's awesome that you're going to be honest with your mom. That made a big difference for me. Lying and avoidance are horrible traits put there by addiction. When we lie or avoid confrontation or difficult conversations, or the feelings we have to feel due to honesty, we essentially feed our addiction.

That's my take on it anyway. Much of it was shaped with help from my counselor.

We so have the right to keep some things to ourselves. Often times it helps to share them, sometimes it's better to keep them to yourself. But if you're going to push the boundaries one way or another, being truthful is the best boundary to push.

Anyway...
You touched on a sensitive matter for me because lying and avoidance are character flaws I have. Addiction took full advantage of them. For me to win the addiction battle, I HAD to address my character flaws.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Wake me up for a very solid day 8. I do have a doctors appointment today where she's going to give me a hard time. I'll just have to get through it.
Hi Missy, I'm in the same boat today with one of my docs, but now that she knows about the alcohol, she probably won't be as hard on me. Her nurse already called to say that they are sorry to hear about the 'new' problem [from my other doc], and they look forward to seeing me today.

Have you admitted your alcohol use to your doctor? I know it's extremely hard, but it's probably the best thing you can do for your overall health. S/he can then better understand whatever other medical issues you are having which may be alcohol related.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Hey all! Well I am in a FOUL mood today. I think that has more to do with my husband and kids than anything else, mostly the husband. a weekend alone with Netflix, the food network an endless supply of green tea, black tea and good room services sounds like heaven!!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Total fail friends. i went shopping to try and distract myself. I almost never buy anything for myself but I spent €104 today. I felt good but nervous for spending the money. I then received the news that a medical procedure was approved and got very emotional. Initially my doctor thought I needed a hysterectomy, but today I was approved to only have my tubes tied. It is something uncommon here in Italy, for religious reasons even though I am not Catholic. In any case, due to my circumstances they decided that I could have the procedure. I am not married and have two children, so that helped. In any case, it is very emotional. I know it sounds ridiculous, I want this. However, I feel strange. I drank today. On Friday I go meet with my psychologist. I am going to ask about inpatient rehab. I want to quit drinking and have not been able to do so on my own. I need intensive help. I have been terrified about leaving my kids, work, etc, but I am more terrified about what will happen if I don't address this issue. I hope and pray that he will find a place for me. I trust him.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Mera
I'm sure the will be along soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I'm so scared
Old 03-07-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Mera, I went to every day outpatient rehab for anxiety and alcohol use and it was really helpful. The therapists were great and I learned a lot. Sometimes rehab can give the initial boost we need.

I am having a good day but struggling with some depressive thoughts. I feel like I can go from good to crying in one min time. I am the definition of an emotional wreck in early sobriety!

Lilly
Old 03-07-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your posts they have really helped me today... *HUG* to everyone here, struggling or not I'm sorry that it's just so damn hard. You're doing something about it by being here and recognizing this serious problem that we all share. God bless and try to take it easy, just for today....
Old 03-07-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Hope things turn out well for you Mera.

Well nearing an end to day 2 and can relate a lot to the irritability PeacefulRain and the up and down emotions Lilly! It will pass though and even out in time- we've just got to push through the stormy early days of sobriety!

Had a good chat with an AA friend this evening and that prompted me to go to a big meeting at night which I thought I'd be too raw for as there's a few there that'll know Ive relapsed etc but thought 'why put it off?' and just went with a good mate. It went well, did feel slightly down about not having the sober time under my belt anymore but I just listened and it helped me through what would have been a night clinging onto my sobriety.

Bought some healthy food in for tomorrow too so trying on all fronts!

Hope everyone's had a good day, keep on keeping on friends!
Old 03-07-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

I put the baby down for a nap and put a movie on for the other kids and took a bath with a few drops of essential oil. It totally relaxed me and I felt so much better. It's a cold rainy day here so now I have a pot of soup simmering on the stove. So thankfully the day has taken a turn for the better.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Mera, I don't know anything about inpatient treatment but if you do it, I hope it works out well for you. I think you need to focus on what you really need to be successful at being sober. Good luck!!

I am traveling on my own for work for a few days. I am managing to stay on track pretty well. When I'm 3 time zones away I am so out of whack that I can't afford to add alcohol to the mix.

In the past, the hard part has always been I get back - kind of let my guard down. I've got a little time to figure a plan before then. Wish me luck!!

MITA
Old 03-07-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Finishing eight. My dr does know-- and is helping. I'm doing well--it's so clear. I wish we didn't tend to forget that.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hang in there 5onic and beerbgone.