Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-05-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Good morning! I had a down couple of days with cravings too. I did not give in though and am happy I stuck with it. Try keeping busy, call a friend, go to an AA meeting if you go to them, clean, cook, eat, anything, just not drink. I know it's hard, remember it should get easier for us, at least that's what I mostly hear! I was around drinkers last night and stayed strong. My family was happy about that and I am waking up shame free. I have enough past shame that I don't need to add a shred more at this point😳!!!

Lilly
Old 03-05-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Starting over again! Day 2 today.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Unhappy

For those starting over, just starting, or trying again and feeling miserable, just remember this can be the last time and you don't need to feel that way again. That's what I told myself to just pull through the first week recently. There can be an emotional dollar coaster and regular daily ups and down, but those accute hang over symptoms can be avoided if we quit. My hangovers were getting quite bad and scary!!

Lilly
Old 03-05-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CharlesG View Post
Stay strong it is for the best! Time will pass without having a dependency, lifestyle will change, you will feel good!! I have the biggest addiction to codiene and promethazine and cannot even play around with it, if I start I am back in. Just say no!
Thanks!! Yesterday evening/night, I think it started to kick in - that horrible low, anxious feeling - so I guess it took about 24hrs after no codeine for me to feel that? So now I'm just focusing on not thinking, just doing...reading, eating, breathing, and trying not to think of how I could go get more! Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
LostLilly, it is true what Anna said, being a mom is very hard. I am already nervous about the teenage years and I still have at least 6 years to go!!
I have a hard time with always striving for perfection. I am trying to relax a bit about the house and chores. I find the thing that makes me feel the most confident and wards off negative thoughts and feelings is striving to do at least one meaningful thing for my kids each day. Not like cleaning the house or taking them somewhere, but reading a story, or making sure I sit down at the dinner table with them and really listen and talk (instead of getting up to get a head start on the dishes, laundry...), playing a game with them or sitting with them while they watch tv (again, instead of being on the computer or cleaning). I imagine it is much more difficult to find those moments with a sassy teenager, but they are there. maybe try for once a week instead of once a day

Layali, here is the website. Conversation Exchange - Language learning with native speakers
At the top there is a place to search for conversation buddies in your own area and then if you scroll down you can find pen pals or chat buddies. I would suggest searching for a chat buddy in Italy, preferably Tuscany (Florence, Pisa for example), it is the most pure dialect of the language and most likely to be similar to that which you are studying in a book and/or class. Avoid anything south of Rome (Naples, Sicily) or Sardinia, they have very strong dialects which are wonderful in their own right but much, much different from standard Italian. In fact, when my boyfriend and I watched a film shot in Naples in Neapolitan dialect we had to put on the Italian subtitles!
Thank you so much for that link!!! And for the wonderful tips, too.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Tip of the day:

Weekend CAN do's

We often focus on what we can't do: drink.
Our mind gets obsessed with the thought. That's our addict voice. It's like a spoiled toddler that won't STFU when it doesn't get what it wants.

What helps is making a list of things you CAN do. Make a nice long list. Include simple things in the list to make it longer.

Here's some ideas that I had on my list:
- call family. I called aunts, cousins, grandma...everyone who hasn't heard from me in a long time. I ALWAYS felt good after the call.

- cook something. Brownies, cookies, anything.
- Google the crap out of alcoholism. Become an EXPERT in the field. KNOW THY ENEMY.
- Google the crap out of alcohol withdrawals. Know what your dealing with, know what you can do to help the symptoms.
- rent a movie or go to a movie
- eat out. Even if it's for coffee and cake.
- go to the store. Make a list of things you need and go!
- take a nap
- clean a room or an area
- post, read, post, read
- surf your way around SR and get to know every area. Read a few posts and see what it's about. Check out drug use, marijuana quit..everything.
- search YouTube for self guided meditations.

Just keep making the list.
And when your spoiled brat addict voice starts rambling on again about not being able to drink, look at your list and do one of them.

QUIT ON!!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Is having stomach pains normal I'm on day 6 and am in a lot of pain. For me today I think I'm past most of the physical stuff (except for stomach pain) but I am an emotional wreck I want to cry and be angry one min than the next I ok it's 11:10 am and I'm still in bed maybe feeling sorry for myself I don't know but none the less I made it another day. I did get out of baby sitting today and should not have him next week so I am looking foreward to,taking care of me.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Outpatient was really good tonight. Making progress. Bring on day six.
Glad it is going well Missy!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Hi all...

Made it through the first leg of this business trip. Had two strong urges, and almost caved the first night. But resisted and made it through work commitments sober. That was nice.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keets View Post
Is having stomach pains normal I'm on day 6 and am in a lot of pain. For me today I think I'm past most of the physical stuff (except for stomach pain) but I am an emotional wreck I want to cry and be angry one min than the next I ok it's 11:10 am and I'm still in bed maybe feeling sorry for myself I don't know but none the less I made it another day. I did get out of baby sitting today and should not have him next week so I am looking foreward to,taking care of me.
Yes keets...
The emotional part is no fun. That too will be over soon. I suffer from depression to start with, so it was crazy emotions my first week.

IDK if you saw my Dark Chocolate tip, but that does help with the blues.

Meditation pulled me out of some funks too. Search YouTube for depression self guided meditations. They help A LOT!

Make sure you are taking your multi vitamin, ok? Very important for keeping the blues to a minimum.

How's your water intake? Your brain and your body is rebuilding and flushing out the junk still. Sometimes a cold bottle of water changed my outlook.

I also found calling family changed my mood. Family I hadn't talked to in years or months. Always hung up with a smile.

Take it easy. And don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Starting Day 1 again. I'd like to feel good about myself and to recognize myself again. Thank you for having me.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Yes keets...
The emotional part is no fun. That too will be over soon. I suffer from depression to start with, so it was crazy emotions my first week.

IDK if you saw my Dark Chocolate tip, but that does help with the blues.

Meditation pulled me out of some funks too. Search YouTube for depression self guided meditations. They help A LOT!

Make sure you are taking your multi vitamin, ok? Very important for keeping the blues to a minimum.

How's your water intake? Your brain and your body is rebuilding and flushing out the junk still. Sometimes a cold bottle of water changed my outlook.

I also found calling family changed my mood. Family I hadn't talked to in years or months. Always hung up with a smile.

Take it easy. And don't be too hard on yourself.
Trying the dark chocolate even thought I hate any sweets.
Uggh my husband is baking a jerk and saying I have the flu. I am in so much pain and he is grumpy because I want to go,back to bed. I'm drinking some Gatorade right now and eating some ice chips because I can't stand water.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PamperingMe View Post
Starting Day 1 again. I'd like to feel good about myself and to recognize myself again. Thank you for having me.
Here's to a new start and resolve for you!
Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Trying the dark chocolate even thought I hate any sweets. Uggh my husband is baking a jerk and saying I have the flu. I am in so much pain and he is grumpy because I want to go,back to bed. I'm drinking some Gatorade right now and eating some ice chips because I can't stand water.
Gatorade will help. If you don't like water, make sure you keep hydrating with Gatorade!! You want to be peeing often. Stay away from salt and caffeine if you can.

Grumpy spouses don't make anything any easier. I'm lucky (or unlucky) because i have gone through WD's for drugs, nicotine, and alcohol all at different times. Each one will cause major mood swings. So I was able to have a long talk before I quit with Mrs. Incontrol. I apologized in advance for being a douchebag and raging a-hole at times.

I asked her to please be patient and TRY her hardest to be nice to me for a couple weeks.

I basically asked for permission to be #1 for two weeks. I asked for my needs to be priority and that I would pay her back. When I was in a good mood, I made sure I paid A LOT of attention to her. Bought little gifts, made dinner, cleaned, stuff like that.

This is your quit that you are doing for you. There's extra benefits for hubby that you will be sober too. But that is 2nd chair to numbero uno.

I'm not saying you be a raging bitch about it. But a talk sounds in order. When moods are better. This is not going to be the only day like that.

Now I would BEG to take a nap if I were you. Being as apologetic as you can be. If he's never been through this before then you have the flu card to play. I'd play it like it I was holding a straight flush.

If no nap...then see if you can get 20-30min alone time. Even 10min. Put in some ear buds, search YouTube for meditation video that is as long as the time you have then close your eyes. I swear 15min will help. Even 10. But the longer you get, the better.

If you find yourself at the peak of hell mountain, practice breathing exercises of meditation is out. There's a specific method to follow: 5-4-5-4. Inhale through nose for 5 seconds (deep), hold for 4. Exhale through mouth slowly for 5 seconds, hold for 4. Do that 3 times. Count to yourself. Focus on only breathing.

Hang in there girl. It's temporary I promise and it's going to get better each and every single day. Today just might be the worst day for you. Not that future days are roses and sunshine, but they are better and better each day.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Gatorade will help. If you don't like water, make sure you keep hydrating with Gatorade!! You want to be peeing often. Stay away from salt and caffeine if you can.

Grumpy spouses don't make anything any easier. I'm lucky (or unlucky) because i have gone through WD's for drugs, nicotine, and alcohol all at different times. Each one will cause major mood swings. So I was able to have a long talk before I quit with Mrs. Incontrol. I apologized in advance for being a douchebag and raging a-hole at times.

I asked her to please be patient and TRY her hardest to be nice to me for a couple weeks.

I basically asked for permission to be #1 for two weeks. I asked for my needs to be priority and that I would pay her back. When I was in a good mood, I made sure I paid A LOT of attention to her. Bought little gifts, made dinner, cleaned, stuff like that.

This is your quit that you are doing for you. There's extra benefits for hubby that you will be sober too. But that is 2nd chair to numbero uno.

I'm not saying you be a raging bitch about it. But a talk sounds in order. When moods are better. This is not going to be the only day like that.

Now I would BEG to take a nap if I were you. Being as apologetic as you can be. If he's never been through this before then you have the flu card to play. I'd play it like it I was holding a straight flush.

If no nap...then see if you can get 20-30min alone time. Even 10min. Put in some ear buds, search YouTube for meditation video that is as long as the time you have then close your eyes. I swear 15min will help. Even 10. But the longer you get, the better.

If you find yourself at the peak of hell mountain, practice breathing exercises of meditation is out. There's a specific method to follow: 5-4-5-4. Inhale through nose for 5 seconds (deep), hold for 4. Exhale through mouth slowly for 5 seconds, hold for 4. Do that 3 times. Count to yourself. Focus on only breathing.

Hang in there girl. It's temporary I promise and it's going to get better each and every single day. Today just might be the worst day for you. Not that future days are roses and sunshine, but they are better and better each day.
I did take a nap for a good 3 1/2 hours but of course he went to work. Luckily my kids are really good and have been in my rom playing their video games.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
nmd

I did take a nap for a good 3 1/2 hours but of course he went to work. Luckily my kids are really good and have been in my rom playing their video games.
Glad you got a nap at least. Maybe you do have the flu (or some bug) though? Sometimes we are so used to bring drunk or hung over, we forget we can be sober and still not feel well or get sick.

I've been mostly just tired the past couple days, but a little less on edge today. I was just plain grumpy last night and feel asleep early.

I spent the morning doing taxes for myself and my step son. Not really relaxing, but i can relax now that I know it is done.

Its only 8:40 and i already feel ready for bed, lol. It is what it is though. Take care all
Old 03-05-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Glad you got a nap at least. Maybe you do have the flu (or some bug) though? Sometimes we are so used to bring drunk or hung over, we forget we can be sober and still not feel well or get sick.

I've been mostly just tired the past couple days, but a little less on edge today. I was just plain grumpy last night and feel asleep early.

I spent the morning doing taxes for myself and my step son. Not really relaxing, but i can relax now that I know it is done.

Its only 8:40 and i already feel ready for bed, lol. It is what it is though. Take care all
I didn't have a fever that's the weird think my temp was actually 96.2-96.4 it was miserable I was sure I was running a temp
Old 03-05-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PamperingMe View Post
Welcome, PamperingMe! You deserve to feel good about yourself - don't ever forget that!

MITA
Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

I had a pretty busy day today. I'm heading out of town tomorrow for most of the week and had to get a bunch of stuff done before that. Also, I just needed to keep busy today to keep myself on track.

It's interesting how the energy comes and goes in the early days. The first few days I had tons of energy, then 3 or 4 days of low energy - I could barely get out out bed! Yesterday and today a little more normal - not the hyper level of the first few days but much better than the couple of days before. I'm hoping it kind of levels out here.

I hope everyone has good rest of the weekend - my travel will eat up a good chunk of my day tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll find time to check in.

MITA
Old 03-05-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Had a really good day six--including helping choose wine for my daughters wedding without drinking it! Home and tired.