Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-26-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hi all, congrats to those who weathered Australia Day sober! I'm starting day... 13 (and like day 16 since last drinking, rather than low-dose taper). Feeling good. My emotions have been more level the past couple of days, which is a welcome break. Nothing much else to report - have a good one!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Haris!

I slept so sound last night, didn’t wake up until 7:00 am. Day 19 begins with herbal tea. Officially ditching caffeine and nicotine today; you inspired me SH!

I planned on not leaving the house for the next few days, but DD has requested my help on Wednesday evening, preparing her classroom for an event on Thursday. She’s a 1st year teacher, so I help out whenever possible. That will probably be more challenging than today.

Congratulations to all our classmates that survived Aussie Day! Hot weather, music and BBQs are the perfect recipe for a slip, early on. Another challenge faced and conquered; yay team!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Back to work today. Blah.
Sober but blah ! Lol
Old 01-26-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Day 18 and I am buried in reading materials, so I'm not on SR much. After eating dinner last night, I was too stuffed to do anything but lay around, so no Alanon meeting.

Between Buddhism, AA and therapy, my brain is getting tired. It is a lot of information to incorporate. I am on step 3, which in AA text is: "Turned our will and our lives over to god as we understand him." Add Buddhism flavor, and it becomes:

- I take refuge in the Buddha. I commit myself to being mindful in every aspect of my life.

- I take refuge in the dharma. I commit myself to looking for the truth of the way things are and fulfilling those insights, with the understanding that my sense of self is delusion. I commit to living by the principles that I have come to understand: impermanence, karma and suffering.

- I take refuge in the sangha. I commit myself to compassion, loving kindness, generosity, and a moral life. I commit myself to supporting and being supported by the community of spirit (AA). I will remember to be grateful to all that makes this life and this practice possible.

It is neat how "giving up" in AA terms becomes "take refuge" in Buddhism terms.

I gotta blast off. Lots of errands to run.

Everyone have a good day!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Welcome on board Harris. You're in the right place, we have great group here. I have good days, bad days and really tough days but just popping on here really helps me to beat my AV into submission and stick to the sober path.

Nothing beats waking up hangover and guilt free. I still panic every time I hear my husband looking for something in a cupboard though! until I remember there are no hidden vodka bottles for him to find anymore.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Welcome to everyone who has joined the past couple days!

Yesterday was rough... My dad told me he has prostate cancer. From what he told me and I read on line it isn't the worse case scenario. It is the first time I have had to deal with cancer in my family. I'm realizing how short life really is...

Of course AV kicked right in with how I should just go get wasted. What a selfish thought! So many times in the past I have used situations like these to justify being a drunk mess. Never helped anything and made everything so much worse.

I'm feeling much more in control of my emotions. Which is a blessing in situations like this. I had a couple weeks with fits of rage earlier. Scared me because I'm a really calm person. Those have passed.

Day 31! Where did the time go?lol
Hope you all have a safe and sober day!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hello

New here . On day 3 , someone sent me the link to this page so I thought I'll check in
Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hi friends- busy day over here. Ran errands all morning, went to the gym with the baby and now I am trying to get some bills/budgeting done while he naps. I have my last therapy/hypnosis session this evening. I am going to miss him a lot- wish I could afford to do more.

Hope everyone is doing well and I promise to write more tomorrow. Oh, my AV almost kicked my ass yesterday. Cravings were super strong and had I not had plans to take DS to the movies in the afternoon, I am afraid I might have given in. Not good. Seriously considering trying out an AA meeting on Sunday (I didn't go last week) so I can have someone to call.

to all of you...

Quote of the day:

Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Welcome ProudPeguin!

Reading and posting here has really has helped me remain sober I hope it can help you as well!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by illi1111 View Post
Hi All!

Yesterday was rough... My dad told me he has prostate cancer. From what he told me and I read on line it isn't the worse case scenario. It is the first time I have had to deal with cancer in my family. I'm realizing how short life really is...

Of course AV kicked right in with how I should just go get wasted. What a selfish thought! So many times in the past I have used situations like these to justify being a drunk mess. Never helped anything and made everything so much worse.

I'm feeling much more in control of my emotions. Which is a blessing in situations like this. I had a couple weeks with fits of rage earlier. Scared me because I'm a really calm person. Those have passed.

Hang in there, bud.

My son's mother has fought a running battle with cancer -- breast cancer metastasized to lymphoma, and in December was diagnosed with cervical cancer right as her five-years-clear was coming up. Heartbreaking, to put it mildly -- she's my best friend. Her prognosis is good.

It's good that you're not turning to the false relief of drinking to mask your pain and fear. Let those emotions run their course, and you will look at matters with a clearer perspective.

My best wishes for your father, your family, and yourself. We'll be here for you.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Day 2...

I thought yesterday would never end. Ever. Today I came into work and although not feeling 100% yet, I was much more productive. I was able to eat for the first time in a couple of days and was excited to have my appetite back! Water also tastes like it came from God's personal pond. I have a headache, still feel dried out and anxious, my heart is racing and I slept from 5:00 last night until 6:30 this morning. My dreams were whack and I don't feel rested, but hopefully it'll be better tonight. Happy to be joining the class of January 2016!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

day 22, I have the attention span of a gnat, stressed easily
Old 01-26-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by illi1111 View Post
Hi All!

Prostate cancer is pretty common, my dad has had it for years, still hate to hear the C word though.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hi illi - sorry to hear your difficult news, a tough twist of fate for your family. Hopefully your new found strength from sobriety you can help you stay strong and supportive for your dad. Wishing you all well. Fantastic work on 31 days!

Good work on day 22 Jim, you're doing a great job and I hope your stressed sensations pass soon. Do you have the option to take a break/change of scenery in your day or take a good long walk?

Welcome to all of the new names on here, this class is immense in size! So much support and positivity to be found, the reinforcement of commitment to be found from everyone here is inspiring!

Day 28 wrapping up for me, felt ok in recent days. Been doing regular gym workouts around my desk job, and a bit of intermittent fasting starting to help with a little modest weight reduction. Looking forward to spring, thinking of joining a running club and working towards some events slowly but surely.

CC
Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Welcome ProudPenguin and Carrie, you’ve found a great support group. If you find yourself tempted to drink, come here and post first!

illi, I’m sorry to hear of your fathers prognosis, caught early, cancer can be successfully treated. You did good beating the AV into submission, getting wasted in this or any situation helps no one.

After sleeping 9 hours last night, I still felt groggy this morning and so I slept another 3. That is so not like me, but I must have needed it.

I hope everyone has a good day, I will touch base later.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Day 9. Ready to crash and get some sleep but it's only 5pm. At least my AV is too tired to bother me today.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Checking in, Day 4.
A potentially triggering and unavoidable encounter coming up for me in 48 hours - I realised I was beginning to try and cope by over-eating since I heard the meeting was on my schedule.
I'm so glad I came in here for a bit of perspective, and some calming and coping strategies.
All encouragement welcomed.
Well-done, everyone.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes to you and your dad illi1111

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Is there a way to find out how many class of Jan people are in our group?
Not unless someone wants to go through all 4 threads & manually count them Nic, sorry.

D
Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Best wishes to you and your dad illi1111

Not unless someone wants to go through all 4 threads & manually count them Nic, sorry.

D
Lol ok thanks Dee!! Wasn't sure if technology kept a record lol!!! I'll pass on counting them!!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Good morning all,
Hope everyone has a great day.. Yesterday unnerved me a little being Aus Day but I'm still sober which is the main thing!! Off to work now but I'll check in more later X