Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-23-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Oh no Mish I know that feeling. It is a great reminder.

Then somehow, when we recover we forget all about the awfulness.... Hey don't they say something like that about childbirth?

Wish I could push a button connected to a microchip in my brain so I could feel for one second that awful hangover feeling. As a reminder.

Thank you Nic for taking the time to greet all of us, those of you who do that really make me feel good to be acknowledged.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Oh no Mish I know that feeling. It is a great reminder.

Then somehow, when we recover we forget all about the awfulness.... Hey don't they say something like that about childbirth?

Wish I could push a button connected to a microchip in my brain so I could feel for one second that awful hangover feeling. As a reminder.

Thank you Nic for taking the time to greet all of us, those of you who do that really make me feel good to be acknowledged.
You're welcome- it always makes me feel better too, so I do try when I have the time x
Old 01-23-2016, 10:21 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
For some reason I'm feeling really scared today. Went into the garden and pruned a few trees...hands are shaking..came i side and threw up....scrambled eggs yukky...and it came out my nose!! I know I'll laugh about it one day. Now I have a sore throat...not well in the head today. ..anxiety central...hope i can remember this feeling vividly when I feel like picking up a drink again....so scary. Feel like swearing..crying...i don't know....I feel like a can of bumblebees are trapped inside me....internally shaking. Please let this be over soon so I can feel better.
Mish It's awful you're feeling so crappy. It will get better I promise. I'm only just starting to feel normal and functioning again at 2 weeks. and I'm still on meds because of the amount I was drinking...
Big breaths. Don't overdo it. Be gentle to yourself honey.. x We are here for you x
Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lisatryingagain View Post
Nic233 and the others who are posting here mentioning everyone elses posts, thankyou so much . I am meaning to do that but haven't yet. Your thoughtfulness means a lot to a lot of people here.

Mish I hope you feel better soon. Be kind to yourself. Try to believe that things will get better.
Lisa, I can't always do it.. I hover a lot because of work and kids etc, so when I get a chance I just like to sit and spend some time on here... Almost feels like our own little meeting. x
Old 01-23-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

I like watching shows featuring sober actors and comedians. I've been watching Maron. Does anyone know of any others?
Sobriety isn't often portrayed or highlighted and I wish it was
Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Day 14

Well Probably time for my update. 2 weeks sober today. I am feeling a million per cent on what I been feeling. Something has made a switch this weekend. I finally acknowledge that this alcohol addiction is a lifelong one and NO i won't be able to have a social glass of wine here and there later down the track!!!!In the past I have always thought that maybe one day I can be like everyone else and just have the odd drink...um nope
I've been to 4 meetings now. All very different but just a wonderful and positive experience. I'm not getting too caught up in the official process of AA but I find the actual sharing and unity great. I also have an official sponsor now. She is an older no-nonsense lady who has 38 years of sobriety behind her. I've told her that my recovery will have to be my way, as I am not going to rely on AA to keep me sober. She seems ok with that as long as I keep making plans to prevent a relapse. She said that she is scared that I may not come back from another relapse as things had escalated so much this last time. Quite a scary thought.
My house has never been cleaner!! I had all the beds stripped and washed by 10.30am this morning and now I am wandering around looking for something to clean(not like me at all trust me!!)- At least I'm not dancing around the lounge room on my second bottle of champers like my usual Sunday routine would be(it's only 2.30pm)!
Anyway.. Thanks to all of you for getting me through these 2 weeks. Still can't believe I've done it. Didn't think I could get through the first 24 hours....
xxx
Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Thumpa-- Ahh I'm so sorry to hear that you're hurting so much about your Relationship. I have ruined many, many, many GREAT relationships when I was using drugs, and haven't let anyone in close to me since I replaced the drugs with the booze. Hope you start to feel a bit better soon. It is a long process when your heart is broken, but just remember that we are all here for you and you can always come here and get support. I'm so happy that you are sober. Take care of yourself x
Nic, and everyone else with kind words, thank you so much. The queasies about this settled down earlier tonight in large part due to having a safe spot where I can vent, knowing that people who understand what I'm going through are listening and care.

Y'all are the best, no doubt about it.

The Serenity Prayer has been large on my mind tonight. I can't do a thing about her feelings. I can only be the best man that I can be, and sleep easy at night for it. Soberly.

Sure did help playing some blues, too. When I ask my guitar a question, she's got to answer me.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Day 14

Well Probably time for my update. 2 weeks sober today. I am feeling a million per cent on what I been feeling. Something has made a switch this weekend. I finally acknowledge that this alcohol addiction is a lifelong one and NO i won't be able to have a social glass of wine here and there later down the track!!!!In the past I have always thought that maybe one day I can be like everyone else and just have the odd drink...um nope
I've been to 4 meetings now. All very different but just a wonderful and positive experience. I'm not getting too caught up in the official process of AA but I find the actual sharing and unity great. I also have an official sponsor now. She is an older no-nonsense lady who has 38 years of sobriety behind her. I've told her that my recovery will have to be my way, as I am not going to rely on AA to keep me sober. She seems ok with that as long as I keep making plans to prevent a relapse. She said that she is scared that I may not come back from another relapse as things had escalated so much this last time. Quite a scary thought.
My house has never been cleaner!! I had all the beds stripped and washed by 10.30am this morning and now I am wandering around looking for something to clean(not like me at all trust me!!)- At least I'm not dancing around the lounge room on my second bottle of champers like my usual Sunday routine would be(it's only 2.30pm)!
Anyway.. Thanks to all of you for getting me through these 2 weeks. Still can't believe I've done it. Didn't think I could get through the first 24 hours....
xxx
AWESOME!!!! You are doing an amazing job Nic. So proud of you.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Day 14

xxx

Doing it day by day, brotha -- great stuff.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Good to hear you're feeling a little better Thumps. xxx
Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Good to hear you're feeling a little better Thumps. xxx
All things must pass. This, too.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Plenny I agree, I like TV shows, movies etc which feature sobriety and show struggles with addiction.

I just watched the second series of "Girls", and one of the characters was portrayed as being an alcoholic in recovery.

Its a good thing when drinking isn't glamourized in entertainment.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

do u ever try to post something then feel like ur just being a whiney bit*h.....bleh ill post tomorrow feel pathetic right now....sober and pathetic lol - even this is a whiney post lol, time to lose myself in ps4 land =) hope ur all well!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whathaveidone84 View Post
do u ever try to post something then feel like ur just being a whiney bit*h.....bleh ill post tomorrow feel pathetic right now....sober and pathetic lol - even this is a whiney post lol, time to lose myself in ps4 land =) hope ur all well!
I've felt that way much of the night tonight. Thankfully, the folks here don't get worked up about it.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Hi Thump,
As much as I truly feel that my ex husband gave up on me, I know my drinking caused me to behave in ways I am truly embarrassed about, and they affected my marriage.
The drinking was there to mask an almost unbearable amount of pain and having a relationship was just not healthy.
It's the only way. Putting down the bottle and organizing your thoughts and feelings here and starting from the small seed of your own wellbeing will certainly ripple out over time to create better patterns. And love will be welcomed.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Welcome NZK9Lady! Congrats on your 22 days. I have 18 days and yes, I was definitely feeling better last week than I am this week. I am sure it is going to take us several months to feel better.
Glad to have you here and please post often!
~P
Old 01-24-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Whathaveidone84-

I would personally never try to do something like this alone. And by "alone" I mean without any type of support. I consider SR to be a huge pillar in my recovery and I check in daily, it is part of my routine. There are also tons of programs these days like the obvious (AA) and many more which are considered "self recovery" programs, like Rational Recovery, Lifering etc. You can read about them in the Secular Connections section or by googling.

I think another very important tool is counseling/therapy. It's nice to have someone to talk to about life's problems without feeling judged. I used a stress management hypnotist that I adore. I am almost out of sessions and can't afford more and am really bummed out about it.

Once that runs out I will focus on meditation and self hypnosis. I have done both in the past with amazing results-both tools have the ability to lower stress and change your brain which in turns, changes the way you view things which in turn, changes your behavior and habits.

I think it's good to start researching now so you have a plan in tact and some ideas to help you move forward in your recovery and in your new life
Old 01-24-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Gypsytears

That is truly inspiring! So glad you have someone who supports you in this journey and what a brave thing to dump that beer out and head to a meeting (regardless of whether it was actually there or not!)

I have to ask, what kind of yoga do you do? I am a big fan of kundalini- do you ever do that? I am also going to attempt my first yoga class at the gym this week. I have done workouts at home but I am sure my form needs tweaking!

So glad to have you here. I'm sorry your DH doesn't quite get it (neither does mine). I am sure in time they will come around when they see how serious we are about sobriety.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Lisatryingagain-

I am very lonely too. Drinking only fueled that fire. I am hoping as we continue in our sobriety, the feeling will slowly dissipate.

I am personally a fan of natural healing- I hope the supplements helps you (do you mind me asking what was recommended?) As for the blood type diet, I have never believed in it either but so many people swear by it. It's worth a shot if you think it will help. If you don't, than it just might not (the power of the mind is incredible).

I love the idea of little goals and hourly reminders. Hope it will help you be kinder to yourself. Nice to have you here, hope to get to know you
~P
Old 01-24-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Nic-

You sound so great! And yay for a clean house! Sorry, but I laughed on the inside to the idea of drinking "champers" and dancing throughout the house.

So glad you are enjoying the meetings and have found a sponsor and that she is willing to let you do this your way. Sounds like a great fit. I am hoping to attend my first AA meeting in years tonight. We shall see.

Have a beautiful day!