Notices

Class of December 2015

Old 12-03-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I know why I drink to excess...I've built my whole reward system around alcohol.....hard day at work, earned a drink, job well done earned a drink. In my trade (plasterer) they call the first pint of the day the dustbuster......I've always earned a dustbuster after a hard days graft....go on lad your bones ache and you've worked hard, have a pint or ten to reward yourself. I don't know how else to reward myself and I need to feel I've earned something after a hard day or it's turns into a struggle going to work each day. No point to the post just a little ramble of what got me here.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

A good night's sleep has been rare for me pretty much since having my first child almost 10 years ago. I think partly I started sleeping lighter just due to becoming a mom but that's also around the time when my drinking started getting really out of control too so I'm sure that also had a lot to do with why I don't sleep soundly. I have noticed during my bouts with sobriety that I start sleeping noticeable better at about a month in. Looking forward to that again!
Old 12-03-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
I know why I drink to excess...I've built my whole reward system around alcohol.....hard day at work, earned a drink, job well done earned a drink. In my trade (plasterer) they call the first pint of the day the dustbuster......I've always earned a dustbuster after a hard days graft....go on lad your bones ache and you've worked hard, have a pint or ten to reward yourself. I don't know how else to reward myself and I need to feel I've earned something after a hard day or it's turns into a struggle going to work each day. No point to the post just a little ramble of what got me here.
It just slowly reeled me into the routine, so, I'm guilty of the reward factor as well. I can also come up with 10 other reasons too though.

Nevertheless, I think it's actually a good point.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

It's funny, I was literally thinking about this earlier. Bad day at work, go have a drink. Feeling stressed and depressed, go have a drink. Feeling happy go have a drink.

The weekend is when things really got hectic, happy or not I would binge for the following 2 days. I remember being so excited to leave work and just drink and waking up with a massive hangover and not be able to eat, just sleep. A soon as that hangover would vanish, I was back to drinking. It was a never ending cycle for me.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I always find a reason to drink. Reasons are very easy to find for me.
I will make December a good clean month. I find for a good part of the day I am fine.

Then after work happens and it kicks into high gear. I do find once I get home and have some food and let the stress of the day slip away I am fine. But those 2 or 3 hours are dangerous.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I typically immerse myself in recovery-related books and I have reviewed some of my favorite sections, but I actually just got The Martian to read for enjoyment and started that last night. Good so far.

Day 3. Tomorrow is when I have to go all-out with plans to abstain.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

My hands have started shaking, if this is the DT's what do I do....I have been hitting it hard about 25 units a night for a few months.....should I drink and go to the doctors or is it best to ride it out. Never had this before when I stopped.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Highwind, I would say go to the doctors. My hands typically shake too, with various other symptoms, its all a part of withdraw. Withdraw has many symptoms, but that is alot. Better safe then sorry.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

DT is usually other symptoms, like hallucinations, and things crawling on you, fever, etc. Google it, but if you are unsure, see a doc.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

My hands have started shaking, if this is the DT's what do I do....I have been hitting it hard about 25 units a night for a few months.....should I drink and go to the doctors or is it best to ride it out. Never had this before when I stopped.
Don't drink and go to the doctor highwind. Be upfront and honest. I think it is better to be safe than sorry. Please be careful driving as you may not be in a condition to drive. That's just my opinion anyway.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
I always find a reason to drink. Reasons are very easy to find for me.
I will make December a good clean month. I find for a good part of the day I am fine.

Then after work happens and it kicks into high gear. I do find once I get home and have some food and let the stress of the day slip away I am fine. But those 2 or 3 hours are dangerous.
Very, very similar here too. I head out to lunch with my buddy every Thursday. He has two or three beers and I have water with lemon. I have absolutely no desire to drink. But when I get home......a transformation takes place.

I actually decided that I would make dinner for the family now. It's at a perfect time frame to keep me busy. I mean I still have to try, it's certainly no slam dunk.

But in an instant, all it takes is for my wife to **** me off and I'll say f'it and hit the bottle. Though It has be bad enough where I cannot rationally get through her...which leads to ....and then...........and off to the store.

I'll find a way around it all this time.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me and I feel weird. Looking forward to day 2!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

How do you feel otherwise? It is one symptom of DTs.

How long have been sober?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I was going through some of my old bookmarks related to sobriety this morning, and came across this video clip I had saved of Amber Valleta, a former model, talking about addiction. I found it inspiring and thought maybe it might help somebody else today too.

How I Live With Addiction Every Day: Amber Valletta - mindbodygreen.com
Old 12-03-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Day 4. 2am here. Can't sleep for the third night and exhausted. Full day at work again tomorrow. TGIF. From previous experience it takes around 4-6 days before my sleep starts to get better which can't come fast enough. My son sat on my new MacBook last night and cracked the screen...is it wrong to want to throw your son out the window of an apartment?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Don't drink and go to the doctor highwind. Be upfront and honest. I think it is better to be safe than sorry. Please be careful driving as you may not be in a condition to drive. That's just my opinion anyway.
Its 6pm here and dont think you can go to A & E with this stuff. I'll give it a bit of time.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
How do you feel otherwise? It is one symptom of DTs.

How long have been sober?
Day 2, just feel sweary and shaky.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

*sweaty
Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Highwind, please be careful and keep us posted on how you are doing. Withdrawal is no joke. Going to the doctor or an emergency room is always a smart idea.

Ubntubnt, I've known people who wanted to toss their kids for less. Probably best to keep him safely planted on the ground. Lol!

As today is progressing, I'm feeling a bit like crud. I didn't drink much at all the other night so it's weird I'm not feeling well. Started feeling bad an hour after I drank. I had a difficult time sleeping last night and I've now got a headache coming on it seems. A drink won't help despite what my mind is telling me.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Its 6pm here and dont think you can go to A & E with this stuff. I'll give it a bit of time.
Now I'm a stubborn guy so I would ride it out.

I'm only surmising, but I think woman (mothers instinct) may suggest that you go the emergency room or doctor.

Point being, don't listen to me!