Notices

Class of December 2015

Old 12-06-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carriek View Post
Hi Dee, thanks for asking. I have a couple of good friends for support....my husband is more of a trigger for me, but I have the Six week Plan book and the Soberista's book that I am going to start tomorrow and I'm going to journal everyday about my thoughts, feelings and how I can overcome the need to self medicate. I also came across a method that is Mindful based recovery and involves a lot of meditation and staying in the now, letting my feelings be and riding them out, without being reactive and habitual. There is a space between an action and a reaction, and that is what I have to focus on to make the next right choice. I have also signed up for yoga after work, typically the time I would start drinking and have a healthy eating plan that I am getting back to! Thank you for bring that up, it has been helpful just writing it down so I can come back to it when things get stressful....day one is almost behind me and I have had no desire to drink. Did think about it, but chose not to and looking forward to waking up AF and being sober tomorrow again! One moment at a time for me
Easyrider that sounds a good plan . Wayne Dyer wrote a book getting in the gap which I found brought me peace .
Carrie that's a good plan too .

Keep going ,be strong , be honest , be at peace .
Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing everyone a nice day today its Monday were alive were breathing were living were awesome !!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Thank you all for sharing today .

atxjoshua I drooled over a Guinness ad last night for a few seconds then just giggled , Its just habit . At this time of year they show 10000s of booze ads .
Im an x smoker and if they showed ciggie ads i wouldnt start smoking .

KIKI my wfe and I stopped smoking over 4 years and took up the e-cigs .

I read last night the NHS in UK will be giving us e-cigs on prescription in 2016.

Its great to be here and fantastic to be sober .

love all
Old 12-06-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

2am Monday here.
Only off day was Saturday. Not much sleep this weekend. Wife's father in hospital with pneumonia and fluid filled left lung. Cause not known. It's bad on her. I got 2 yr old on Mondays anyway as it's my off day.
I'm calling another day 1 . Didn't drink much, but still feeling guilty. Flid on lungs is never from something simple. After about 55 off smoking, he actually stopped for 8 days. I'm sure he's feeling Scrooged . Can't go see him as I've got the 2 yr old. Didn't slip on drinking. Just didn't care, and it made laundry folding go faster.
Seems like any sober time I start to build and get proud of, things just pile on until I just don't care , but there's a way some how. I'm still looking.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno what to tell you JL - as long as you keep thinking of drinking as a solution to stress, you're spinning your wheels, bro...

D
Old 12-06-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Start of day 2, feeling quite optimistic actually, now got a stretch of week and work to dig into. The cravings are always lesser during the week and feel I've got a long while to build myself up for the weekend. It is nice not waking up with a banging hangover. I didn't sleep the best but still feel miles better than I usually would. Sunday was always the day I'd start early afternoon/midday and go right though until bed, the excuse was always the football on the telly but I'm pretty sure I could enjoy football sober.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Back again, Day 2 for me. Still feeling rough from the binge on Friday and Saturday. More self loathing, depression, anxiety, relationship problems. I have to kick this habit now, I can't keep putting myself and others through this.
New plan needed. The longest I have been sober is 18 months and just completed nearly 6 months in October gone. Just for today I will stay sober.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back guys

some excellent stuff on plans in this thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 12-07-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rivelino View Post
Back again, Day 2 for me. Still feeling rough from the binge on Friday and Saturday. More self loathing, depression, anxiety, relationship problems. I have to kick this habit now, I can't keep putting myself and others through this.
New plan needed. The longest I have been sober is 18 months and just completed nearly 6 months in October gone. Just for today I will stay sober.
Rivelino, what made you drink again after 6 months off? That was an amazing stretch, one I sure you can repeat if you put you mind to it.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Day 5 finished here....with a small trigger/temptation (boredom), but I managed to stay strong.

I will share a story about my daughter, who is 3. One day a few months ago we were quizzing her about her name, city, country, etc and when it came to asking her "What is Daddy's work?", she paused, pondered and then blurted out "Beer!" We laughed hard, because I was drunk and it was almost true. But in reality, it's quite sad.

Anyways, I quizzed her again today, and her response was the correct one this time, "Computer" (I work online). I sure felt a lot better, and that's definitely progress

Stay strong everyone and have a great day/night.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

hi DreamBig, I had a similar one not so long ago. I tend to travel quite a lot for work. A few months ago I came home after traveling for 10 days or so and my son, 3 at the time, asked me "Dad, why do you have to go away for 10 long days to drink wine?" Needless to say I felt awful.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Rivelino, what made you drink again after 6 months off? That was an amazing stretch, one I sure you can repeat if you put you mind to it.
I convinced myself that I was bored with sobriety and allowed myself to believe that I never had that big a problem to begin with. I changed from being absolutely committed to my sobriety to being absolutely committed to drinking again. It was a personal choice and the decision was taken, all the other elements came into play, not coming on here, ignoring the AV. I deluded myself that drinking would be great fun, help with sociability etc. The truth is I drank on my own mainly as I am not much fun to be around when drunk. I want my sobriety badly again.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Yeah it's funny how the AV gets us by convincing us that we were overstating the problem and relying on our selective memory to defeat us. Same happens to me last time around also. I think I might write a blog entry outlining the ten worst things that happened to me as a result of my drinking and how I felt as a result, to read when the AV rears its ugly head.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rivelino View Post
I convinced myself that I was bored with sobriety and allowed myself to believe that I never had that big a problem to begin with. I changed from being absolutely committed to my sobriety to being absolutely committed to drinking again. It was a personal choice and the decision was taken, all the other elements came into play, not coming on here, ignoring the AV. I deluded myself that drinking would be great fun, help with sociability etc. The truth is I drank on my own mainly as I am not much fun to be around when drunk. I want my sobriety badly again.
I believe you'll be a great resource for this class with your history of sobriety. I make that same decision every year after about 2 to 3 months of sobriety.

A year and a half is beyond my imagination. So, is 6 months actually. Glad to have you here Rivelino.

Hi gang, I'm starting day (6) and feeling very good. I know this effort is going to go a long way.

I'll shed some light on why I feel this way. My wife and I had some words over the weekend and I typically would have gone to the man-cave after running to liquor store. But instead, I called her out (because I'm perfect ) and then I let it go.

Seriously though, I'm speaking my mind more often and trying not to bottle up to avoid confrontation.

For those with a lot on their plate, keep plugging away. I'd be a hypocrite if I said anything else. But I'm pulling for everyone!

Thanks for coming and let's have a great sober week.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Yeah it's funny how the AV gets us by convincing us that we were overstating the problem and relying on our selective memory to defeat us. Same happens to me last time around also. I think I might write a blog entry outlining the ten worst things that happened to me as a result of my drinking and how I felt as a result, to read when the AV rears its ugly head.
That's a great idea, but I would have to tattoo my list to my eyeballs because too often I look past it and forget the agony that it brings.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

.....that's an even better idea NT
Old 12-07-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Good morning ready for day 39.

I'm at work feeling tired and sleepy. Just smoked a cigarette and feel disgusting. The craving were terrible and I managed to go to one of my co workers for a smoke.

I'm not smoking for the remainder of the day, I need to battle this bad addition.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Wow, finally a lil bit of quiet! The gkids finally off to school, its their first day at the new schools, since moving in.

My lasagna was de bomb last pm, very yummy. It was a good weekend, overall. I really like sober days. Even if they are difficult, its better then the alternative. I say this, yet Ive gone back a zillion times. The perplexity of alcoholism, and the alcoholic brain I suppose.

To those that slipped, good on you all for getting right back at it. We cant give up on a better life. Lets make today a sober one. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

JL, very sorry about your father in law. I hope he gets better soon. I know you care about sobriety, or you wouldn't be here. I think you are overwhelmed, and have alot going on, just like I do. We know drinking will not solve any of it. We need to find different methods of dealing, thats all. Its a new thought process, and a new way of looking at life. Keep at it JL, it will happen. But we have to make the commitment. Im not preaching at all cause Im like the relapse queen. I have alot to learn, and change, do, myself. Im just trying to be encouraging. Hope today is your new last day one.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hope everyone has a great Monday. Start the week off sober!