Notices

Class of December 2015

Old 12-03-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

"Put the kettle on!" I love that!

I actually made a pot of coffee, too! That and eating dinner seems to have subsided things.

TheRake, there is a lot of truth in feeling rather than resisting. That hit me pretty hard as that is what I'm doing. Walking around with clenched fists not really assessing why I feel like I do. Green tea, definitely going on the list for tomorrow.

Cute, how are you holding up?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

So far so good.. Def need to eat something.mthat always helps. I'm usually less likely to drink after eating because I know it'll take a lot more booze to feel it.. Lol foolish
Old 12-03-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Off to bed. Day 4 down.
Today's been hard.
My wife is griping about wanting to move something awful. Our lives w 2 little boys and a 17 yr old on weekends, is hard. Blessed but hard!
I can't handle worrying about bad financial decisions, on top of 2 jobs and life with little people. We are stretched to breaking. She's got her own problems and has cried every weekend for a while, now. Doesn't matter. I can only do the best I can.
I've really woken up recently and listened to what she's saying, but our age difference (12yrs) puts me in a place where I'm not worried about houses. I want to live ! We both feel trapped in different ways. I suggested therapy to try to get together on what's important, but it just goes round and round.
If I'm sober and she wigs out on a crying tantrum about our house on a mountain, not having a flat yard, I automatically grab a bottle. Keeps me from yelling and all that BS. I just go play with the kids.

Ok........
I hope the folks who are DT ing are feeling a little better. I've totally been there.
Gnite yall
Old 12-03-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Day 1 again.

Tomorrow will be my day 1, again....I can do this and I need this. I don't have anything else. My kids still love me but my husband doesn't. I NEED TO BE FREE OF THIS!
Old 12-03-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
So far so good.. Def need to eat something.mthat always helps. I'm usually less likely to drink after eating because I know it'll take a lot more booze to feel it.. Lol foolish
Agreed. I think one of the best things I can do in these early days is stay full of food. I used to skip meals in favor of drinking and tend to feel too bloated to pile in two bottles of wine on top of food. So looks like plenty of bowls of porridge it is then.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

U can do this carrie! Don't drink anymore tonight..drink lots of water before u go to sleep.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Work is crazy today.. found myself wishing I called out again.

Just found out today that my staph infection is back and a burn I got on my hand is now infected... yeah.. more antibiotics.

Planning to sneak out of work early today.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I just ordered delivery Chinese. Probably way too much ..but I haven't eaten much lately lol.. Almost done with day 2 reward.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Off to bed. Day 4 down.
Today's been hard.
My wife is griping about wanting to move something awful. Our lives w 2 little boys and a 17 yr old on weekends, is hard. Blessed but hard!
I can't handle worrying about bad financial decisions, on top of 2 jobs and life with little people. We are stretched to breaking. She's got her own problems and has cried every weekend for a while, now. Doesn't matter. I can only do the best I can.
I've really woken up recently and listened to what she's saying, but our age difference (12yrs) puts me in a place where I'm not worried about houses. I want to live ! We both feel trapped in different ways. I suggested therapy to try to get together on what's important, but it just goes round and round.
If I'm sober and she wigs out on a crying tantrum about our house on a mountain, not having a flat yard, I automatically grab a bottle. Keeps me from yelling and all that BS. I just go play with the kids.

Ok........
I hope the folks who are DT ing are feeling a little better. I've totally been there.
Gnite yall

I feel for you JL. Sounds like you are dealing with a lot. You thing I can share is that the world looks different when you have some sober time behind you. Positivity returns and situations that seemed hopeless suddenly don't appear all that daunting. Maybe if you focus on staying sober you will begin to want to engage your wife and find compromises in a way that is not possible at the moment.
My guess is that your definition of "wanting to live" will move somewhat towards hers and maybe she will take a step or two towards you in return. For now just focus on staying sober....Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 4.
Funny enough no real cravings and all in all this first step seems easier than last time around, then again there is less of the novelty excitement about quitting and more of a deep resignation that I am done drinking.
I am pleased to be getting to the point where the anxiety is clearing, I feel a little better and can now start to plan out in more detail the changes that I want to make. Overall I would say so far so good.....but I know my AV will be here soon and I will be ready.

Looked in the mirror this morning and was surprised to see how out of shape I have become. It might sound weird to say that but I really haven't been sensitive to my conditioning at all. Bring too busy working and drinking. I have gained fat and lost a lot of muscle mass so back to the gym it is and about time too.

Stay in touch over the weekend everyone. If you stay dry you will be over the worst of your DTs and the clouds of despair will be lifting or have lifted. Next week will be far better than this week.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Carrie - think about what you can add to what you've been doing to stay sober...make a new plan. You can do this

D
Old 12-04-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Thanks ubntubn
I'm up way way too early . Gonna try go back to sleep. Needing it big. Fri night is killer for me with drinking. I'd rather talk it out and admit it than just hide it. That doesn't do a thing. I always just toss in on Fridays after work, wether second job or not. No second job til Sunday this weekend, So it's a perfect fail set up. Gotta find something to eat that I can focus on. Something better than couple of drinks and tv show catch ups. That's become the norm. If I didn't drink the next 2 nights it wouldn't be so bad. If I don't, I always want to.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never too late to make some different choices JL.

You have a lot of power here.
It's time to use it, bro.

D
Old 12-04-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

day 3 now.....shakes didn't get any worse and are coming and going so I don't think they're anything to worry about......made me have a good long think about how far down that alcoholic road I am. I'm on a kitchen fitting course all weekend so hopefully should keep my mind of drinking, up and travelling at 6am Saturday and Sunday morning so need a clear head.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:47 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Thanks ubntubn
I'm up way way too early . Gonna try go back to sleep. Needing it big. Fri night is killer for me with drinking. I'd rather talk it out and admit it than just hide it. That doesn't do a thing. I always just toss in on Fridays after work, wether second job or not. No second job til Sunday this weekend, So it's a perfect fail set up. Gotta find something to eat that I can focus on. Something better than couple of drinks and tv show catch ups. That's become the norm. If I didn't drink the next 2 nights it wouldn't be so bad. If I don't, I always want to.
Quitting really has to start somewhere though right? These early weeks can be tough to change habits and force ourselves to do different things. I have seen people on this site literally lock themselves in their room and sit on their hands praying to stop themselves drinking. Thats what it took.

Maybe don't look it as succeed or fail. Look at it as you will not drink no matter what and then look at it as what you need to do to make 100% sure you don't drink. For me tonight, my wife is working away so I will go and watch a movie immediately after work to stay out of the pub and then get home and go to the gym. I know the cinema doesn't sell wine and neither does the gym. I would rather meet friends and go out but I just can't afford to take that risk right now.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:51 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

pleased to hear that highwind. In a couple of weeks when your AV tries to tell you that you are all healthy and happy and maybe you overestimated your problem you can revisit that post. Even if you mind is on drinking all weekend, as mine will be, just don't pick up! Have a good weekend
Old 12-04-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing everyone a peaceful day today leading into the sober weekend

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 12-04-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hi, Carrie. I look forward to reading your check in on day 1. You can do this!

Highwind, glad to see you are okay!

I forgot how awful insomnia was. I've spent the last 4 hours tossing and turning. I give up on the idea of getting anymore sleep. I'm already ready to put this first week behind me. It goes so slow.

What has everyone got planned for this weekend?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Hang in there carriek, we're here for you. Relationships are very influential on how we feel about ourselves, how we react and why feel the need to escape. Think about your kids and your health and yourself.

As JL mentioned, it's very frustrating when we have little control over situations that are other half is not happy with.

A typical reaction is escaping or tuning out. But I'm trying to just let it roll off of my shoulder. I would typically engage which would cause me to react. The last few days, I didn't react, I wanted to, but in 5 minutes it was gone and I realized she was just venting.

I realize that all of our situations are different, but we need to find the ingredients behind our reactions to drink. As I mentioned yesterday, avoiding drinking is like dodging bullets for me. This is only one example of what triggers me to drink.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Its early am here, and Im up and about. Just catching up on posts. Highwind, Im glad you are doing better. Withdraw is very scary, I agree.

JL, I really feel your pain man. You have got ALOT on your plate, and seem stressed to the max. I totally get it. Ive got stuff going on too, that overwhelmes me to the point where drinking seems the only answer. But, it never is. Im just hurting me, and then have to deal with the bs hangover, the regrets, and another day one. But, Ive done that too many times to count. So, please hang in there. I know how hard it is though.

Cute, Im done with day two, on to day three. Lets keep it going bud.

Reading about how eating seems to help with cravings. It certainly does, and then just waiting out the urges. Ive been doing both lately, and it seems to help immensely.

Newhope, I hope you are feeling happier today. We are here for you, and care about you.

Have a good sober day folks. I will read more later, and catch up then.