Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 50

Old 12-13-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Glee, lol - are you my sober twin, perhaps? I don't think that there is any connection between exercising and my medical problems but it sure is discouraging. Even a slow and gradual process seems to be beyond me! I've been really thinking about how I can overcome my tremendous inertia when it comes to exercise. I thought I had it licked when I started aqua aerobics nearly a year ago but my crummy immune system let me down again and I'm still struggling with athlete's foot even after about 5 months away from the pool :-(
Oh no! I hope things clear up!😁
Old 12-13-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Yes, I hope things work out for you Saskia.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Thanks - it will probably get better but waiting is the pits.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sass can you not wear these water shoes? Or. Is it that the pool water aggravates your condition?

I have had to adapt my exercise to allow for weaknesses or build up certain muscle groups to protect. I know it isn't something everyone can do, though there are exercises adapted specially to accommodate a lot of specific limitations.

Certainly I feel better physically and mentally for being fitter. More able to fight anything coming my way! ( or better still, duck and weave!! )
Old 12-15-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Oh my, Toots! Molly looks very spiffy in her holiday outfit :-)

I can wear water shoes but at this point the stuff has spread to other places and I can't bear to deal with any more. So I am going back to walking (treadmill in bad weather). Since my immune system is not too good because I am on meds to curb its hyperactivity, I do need to be extra careful - including no long airplane rides. There are worse things!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone- just checking in . It is a gym day for me then it's off to work again. Have a good day everyone!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Good morning and a happy Tuesday to everybody! Make it a great day!!!!!!!

KIR
Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
I just got done on catching up on tons of posts.
First of all congrats to those that reached new milestones, that's awesome!
It's so nice to read all the support the goes on in this thread. I can't remember my password for SR so haven't been able to log into my account on my mobile app which is why I haven't been on as much and don't know my email password that I used so kinda stuck. Luckily my iPad is still logged into my account!

I've been busy at Womp last week. Went to a Christmas party Saturday night and was a little tempted at first by all the booze flowing but immediately said " I don't drink" after shown around the bar in the home and stuck with a soda and that was the end of that. It was nice socializing and knowing I wasn't going to wake up with a hangover in the morning. Slept in Sunday and Monday and got some stuff done around the house.

Saturday afternoon found another AA meeting to go to, I enjoyed it a lot and really related to some of the stories people shared. On my way out tho some random guy was trying to flirt and hit on me which I found a little annoying. . I'm trying to get in the habit of a few meetings a week. I'm constantly finding my self exhausted tho and having trouble getting motivated to go during the week. There's s meeting I'm hoping to go to tomorrow night if I am not too tired after womp.

Dealing with some stress regarding a big test I'm studying for and some family issues going on and just thought to myself when catching up on posts tonight that I am so happy to be sober.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Good morning, Undies!

BF, good to hear that you stayed strong. The holidays can be such stressful times that meetings are good sometimes especially so when we are tired. I find vigilance really helps me.

I'm thoroughly enjoying extremely low key holidays! We are having a beautiful (and delicious) holiday dinner here next week but other than that I'm actively trying to do less than usual at this time. Reading, relaxing, casual socializing are the ticket for me. I'm also finding that I can be around people drinking without drinking thoughts becoming difficult and many times now I find that I don't even think about it and only realize afterwards that it didn't tempt me. I love my sober life too much to think about giving up the peace and serenity I feel! What a difference :-)
Old 12-16-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

WWS - Thanks for the exercise advice. I can be so all or nothing, and in a flare up, it leads to nothing.

Saskia - The docs have offered me immunosuppressant meds for my arthritis but I'm hesitant. Take good care of yourself. Xo

Toots - It's always a pleasure to read your clever posts. I thought of you while traversing through Boston last weekend. I bought myself a postcard of the library to commemorate our visit together last year!!

Dizzy - Great post. I agree that we save each other. I owe my sobriety to the lessons each and every one of us shares.

KIR - I related your comment about changing your priority from boozing to enjoying your son's events. I never notice those shifts while they're happening but see them when I look back. Keep up the good work, and more beauty and magic will happen.

BoozeFree - Good to see you putting a priority on your sobriety and recovery. Good luck studying for your exam; I've found sobriety and recovery have aided me in the progression of my career.

Sobriety helps in all aspects of my life in many different ways. Lately though I've been struggling with the issues at hockey -- being frozen out by the moms who I approached about their kids' behavior, and feeling concerned about where I stand with my friends in the group.

I was complaining to some sober friends this morning that ever since the tournament a couple weekends ago, I haven't heard one word from my friends. They were high on pot brownies when a bunch of stuff went down, so not of much support or camaraderie. Then the other night I saw one of them laughing and joking with the folks who are freezing me out.

My shackles went up. I found myself feeling on edge, wondering what rumors they're spreading about me, wondering whether my friends are going to stick by me, and feeling resentful that my friend was not showing solidarity by ignoring these folks. I found myself acting the way I've always acted when backed into this kind of a corner - gossipy, catty, and mean spirited. The next day it kind of spilled into work, where I found myself gossiping somewhat meanspiritedly with some coworkers. It didn't feel right.

Thank goodness for the "we" of recovery. When I reached out to my sober friends, they were quick to tell me they understood exactly what I was feeling. They offered comfort and advice, and I didn't feel so alone anymore.

My sponsor, who's been in AA for 15 years, talks about the instances where God does for her what she can't do for herself. Well, later today a friend in the program happened to reach out to me, and in the course of conversation shared a message that pertained exactly to the situation that's bothering me -- that we can practice love and tolerance for others, no matter what they do, and keeping our own side of the street clean. That's the foundation for happiness and serenity. It's just the guidance I need that I couldn't find on my own. I'm not religious, but I'm open to the messages the universe sends me through other people.

Thanks everyone for the lessons we share!!
Old 12-16-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hi All-
I'm struggling and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I'm sober 38 days and yesterday before going out to dinner with a GF I had an incredible craving because I wanted to drink at dinner. I put it in check and about 5 minutes later I got another one that took my breathe away. I put it in check and once we got there I ordered water and was fine.
Tonight we were going to my sons piano recital dinner and the same thing. Apparently going out for dinner is a big trigger for me. I don't seem to have any other cravings and they have really just been hitting me hard the last few days.
Today I actually started to have a little anxiety attack. Why now? What should I do moving forward?
Thanks you,
KIR
Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I would white knuckle it & distract myself through the moment til I got someplace safe -- onto SR to read about others experiences with alcoholism, or to an AA meeting to talk and listen to others experiences with alcoholism. For me, the only way out is through.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

If I'm on my way to a restaurant I can't get on SR or to a meeting. I'm fighting through it, but really hope it gets easier as time goes on and I make new associations with dining out. I feel like crying.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I'm a social person by nature but certain activities were triggering, or made me feel frustrated, or sad. I totally get feeling like crying.

For me, that's when I had to decide that my sobriety was more important than my plans.

Eventually as recovery grew stronger I was able to resume those social activities and enjoy them again.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Thanks Glee!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
If I'm on my way to a restaurant I can't get on SR or to a meeting. I'm fighting through it, but really hope it gets easier as time goes on and I make new associations with dining out. I feel like crying.
I last had a strong craving last month on the way out to dinner for my wife's birthday. We associate good food with good wine and having a good time when you're missing that seemingly key ingredient can be challenging.

On reflection, however, I have come to the conclusion that having a good time without alcohol is slowly become easier. Someone said to me that the 6-12 month period is when "new normal" just becomes normal. That sounds about right at 8 months. At my staff Christmas party last week I didn't feel like anything was missing. In fact there were a great many benefits to being sober. This was big progress for me but the point here, in my opinion, is about missing things.

In my life as an active alcoholic I was missing so much stuff. Spending quality time with my kids and family, enjoying a walk on the beach, feeling healthy and up most days... I could go on... So missing a glass of wine or a couple of pints with the boys seems a bit trivial in comparison. It doesn't mean I always feel great about not being able to drink but that "not being able" is very slowly becoming "not wanting to". It's going to take time but a world of opportunity is opening up.

There are moments for the white knuckle rides and moments, even at the risk of offence, to duck out of those events that may prove to be difficult. Put your sobriety first and you won't be disappointed. You're doing great so stick with it!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Administrator

this is JMO but...

I think sometimes people get the wrong message about cravings - cravings happen in the early days.

If you've been drinking for decades you're going to have a few cravings, especially when you find yourself in old situations.

A craving doesn't mean your recovery is doomed, or that you've failed - it just means you've been reminded (sometimes forcefully) that the jobs not over yet

Cravings happen...but, to me, it's how we respond to them that's the measure of our recovery.

You didn't drink Keepnitreal, and you're asking for advice here...I call that a win

D
Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Checking in! ((Hug)) everyone!
I am doing a lot better. I'm learning to "be". I'm learning happiness is not a place. I'm learning how to achieve happiness by the way I handle things and I'm experiencing happiness more and more. Learning how to handle anxiety and depression with my reaction and action and my thinking of situations and people. Learning I don't have to know all the answers or know every move I'll make in a day. Learning to let go. Learning I can't control. Learning to friggin relax for once. All these are tough lessons for me. I'm doing so well and living in the moment. Not thinking about what might happen and stopping negetive thoughts in their tracks when I know I'm fabricating it or its unfounded. Thank you to all of you. Your thoughts and opinions have helped me work on all of this. I couldn't have done it without having you to bounce my thoughts off of. Thank you friends and SR! ((Hug)).
Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Keepinitreal- Here is a link Dee sent me a while back with some great info about dealing with cravings that Anna put together. I found the idea of urge surfing intriguing and helpful for me. In my last recovery effort I had strong cravings that did me in, but now, with this info I feel much better prepared.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Glee- that advice about just keeping our side of the street clean sounds spot on.

Key- Glad to hear you are doing better. It sounds to me like you are still doing great!

Thanks for your posts everyone and have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Dee74; 12-17-2015 at 02:44 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 12-17-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

That link didn't work. This one should.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-48-a-10.html