Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 22

Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Finally home and in bed just a little after midnight. It was a really great time. My cougars won 35-34... a total nail biter.
Gnight
Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Sunday.

Yesterday was very nice and much easier than last year. Was a great day of fellowship, food and football. I don't have any pic that compares to Briar's view, but I snapped this as I was unloading the car at mom's.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ure17015-a.jpg

Today will be a small bunch here at home. And as for the recipe......we let's just say the guys will be banished from the kitchen during the 'making of the gumbo'. Fine with me as long as I can eat some.

Son announced yesterday that he's going to NYC for New Year's holiday again. After the Paris thing I'm cool on the idea, but not going to veto it.

No gym today, but time for coffee!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

The picture wouldn't open for me, Mark.

Glad that your Thanksgiving celebration was so nice; the gumbo celebration sounds wonderful.

I'd be apprehensive about a NYE celebration in NYC, too, Mark.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

We had dinner with three other couples last night at a French restaurant. Two bottles of a red wine were ordered for the table; all seven of the drinkers are very normal drinkers.

The bouquet of the red wine was almost overpowering; I didn't experience a craving for a buzz but the craving for the taste was powerful and I became increasingly uncomfortable.

I quickly ordered a garlicky appetizer to counter the aroma which worked to quell the aroma and craving for the taste.

But man oh man.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday, dear Octsobers.

May happiness and peace await you today.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

That was quick thinking Leigh. I haven't been in that situation yet but will keep your tactic in mind. House full here, but I think we're all gonna move out back. Very pleasant 60s which is nice.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
We had dinner with three other couples last night at a French restaurant. Two bottles of a red wine were ordered for the table; all seven of the drinkers are very normal drinkers. The bouquet of the red wine was almost overpowering; I didn't experience a craving for a buzz but the craving for the taste was powerful and I became increasingly uncomfortable. I quickly ordered a garlicky appetizer to counter the aroma which worked to quell the aroma and craving for the taste. But man oh man.
Uncomfortable is the best word to describe these kinds of social events. And your three plus years into sobriety. I'm glad you were able push through it Leigh!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Thanks, Arbor; so am I. I am glad this situation didn't occur in early sobriety.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Great thinking Leigh! I had cravings this afternoon, probably triggered by the brew-ha-ha crowd last night. So I just had a huge burger and fries for lunch. I couldn't fit a sip in my belly now no matter how hard I tried. Lol
Sounds like a great weekend, Mark. Enjoy it everyone!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Football season is tough Conquest (Sunday's at home in general). I'm sitting here with the Saints game on watching beer adds in between. My mind likes to make me feel anxious about never having one again. Then I tell myself to not think that and take it a moment at a time. That one day I won't care and think about it much anymore. Cause it's really not a big deal to not drink. That's my goal.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
Great thinking Leigh! I had cravings this afternoon, probably triggered by the brew-ha-ha crowd last night. So I just had a huge burger and fries for lunch. I couldn't fit a sip in my belly now no matter how hard I tried. Lol
Sounds like a great weekend, Mark. Enjoy it everyone!
I wish I could have ordered cake and ice cream as an appetizer but it was too classy of a restaurant!!!!!!!!

Brew-ha-ha crowd - that made laugh out loud, conquest. (I can hear a lot of Sandra Bullock in you!!!!)
Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Football season is tough Conquest. I'm sitting here with the Saints game on watching beer adds in between. My mind likes to make me feel anxious about never having one again. Then I tell myself to not think that and take it a moment at a time. That one day I won't care and think about it much anymore.
It will become second nature, Arbor, and who you are.

Not one of my fellow diners blinked last night when I clinked their glasses with sparkling. They know me now as a non-drinker; that makes me feel really good.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Then I tell myself to not think that and take it a moment at a time. That one day I won't care and think about it much anymore.
That's my approach too. And Leigh it's nice to have you confirm that it's true. I think I've taken a step or two in that direction, but still nice to get confirmation.

House is almost empty of guests and I'm gonna squeeze in a quick run before the sun sets.....which won't be long this time of year. Pecan pie can be unforgiving on the belly! And a little quiet time to wrap up the weekend is my kind of thing. Off I go........
Old 11-15-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hope you enjoyed your run, Mark.

Those 'unforgiving on our waistlines' seasons are upon us.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Yep, good run and feeling tired in a good way......like a big ole yard dog does laying around on the front porch. Ha, I guess that might just be a southern thing.

Round two of Thanksgiving done and looking forward to round three in the mountains. A busy week awaits as one associate will be out this week....that means the old guy (me) must carry the load!

I hope the weekend has wrapped up nicely for the Octsobers and that thoughts of a nice Thanksgiving holiday are creeping in.

I guess water and a stalk of celery is dinner tonight!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Octsobers; see you tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

After my burger and fries for lunch, I'm eating light tonight too... A smoothie with kale, fresh pineapple, frozen banana, and a tiny bit of ginger.

I'm glad you posted that Arbor. The booze commercials are at least every 5 minutes, so totally unavoidable. What I've finally come to realize over the last year, thanks to the wisdom on these boards and a lot of personal victories, is that cravings eventually pass. I don't have to act on them in the moment. Knowing that is so powerful. It's uncomfortable at the time, but nothing compares to the feeling of overcoming.

I hate to rub it in, but I'm off tomorrow! ***airhorn*** lol
My apartment is starting to look less like home as I pack up...kind of weird but in a good, exciting way. It's time to start nesting in our home. Cowboy has wisely designated the master bedroom and master bath as total girl territory, so I'll be working on that in the morning. One thing at a time, right?

Old 11-15-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Enjoy tomorrow Conquest. Hmmmmm, with my son gone I feel like this whole house is girl territory! That's ok though, I'm an outside guy when I'm not working.

The final task for this evening is to comfort my youngest over her dread of a looming earth worm dissection tomorrow. She's gotten herself all bothered. I shall use my most comforting daddy tone and do what sober dads do!

Nite gang.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
I'm glad you posted that Arbor.
So am I dear Friend. Glad I logged back in to read these last two posts. You have yourself a great day off tomorrow. Well deserved with everything good that's happening in your life right now.

Night guys.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I haven't thought about what my goal is, other than to be healthy, which I'm not right now.

Love to all of you, and go Saints, because that's my team here (AFL Football ).

Nite.