View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Day 18.

Everyone have those experiences where you smell something and it triggers an onslaught of strong memories? Happened to me this morning. It was the first day it felt like fall. A little chill on the air, dew on the cars. I don't know what the smell was exactly, but it reminded me of fall, leaves falling, football. And the drinking that goes with all that -- beers for the game, a few screwdrivers with breakfast before going down to tailgate. Red wine around thanksgiving, etc. etc.

Suddenly if felt like this is such an impossible mountain to climb...to actually NEVER drink again? Tried to force it out of my head and just get through today. I wish I could just be normal and stop obsessing over this. AV wont shut up.
Originally Posted by Yogapants View Post
Rusty, I'm on day 16 and have had similar feelings all day today. Will it ever stop???
Originally Posted by SoberFish View Post
I feel exactly the same Rustybanjo. I've even had the AV say, why did I pick this time of year to quit? Why not after the football season and holidays? The truth is everything I do revolves around a drink. Cooking out, watching UFC, football, getting off work, etc. As the seasons change I will be reminded with temptations. If anyone reading this has years of sobriety experience please share how long it takes for these triggers to water down. I know I'll always want a beer, but like Rustybanjo, I'm afraid of all the activities up ahead. They say it takes 21 days to lose a habit. Obviously whoever said that was not an alcoholic like me. Still sober and plan on staying that way!
There's a technique called playing the tape through to the end. It's about countering those nostalgic daydreams with the reality of how it really was.

I would like to think of myself as a gentleman drinker genteelly sipping my drinks and being the life of the party with my witty anecdotes...but the reality was a little different.

It does take longer than 21 days cos I think drinking more than a bad habit...but you will one day, not too far off, not be tormented by daydreams, nostalgia, sights and sounds.

My life has never been better than it is now. There's no nostalgia real or imagined that can beat that

D